Does dieting actually work?

Does dieting actually work?

Yes. In fact diet can attribute to about 70% of total weight loss. The extra 30% is exercise just to tone you up so you're not a skeleton or need to loose some upper layers of fat which require cardio.

Yes you fucking retard. It's been proven time and time again since the dawn of mankind that if you eat less, you lose weight.

Simple diet for fat fucking retards:

-Stop drinking soda, replace it with water, add a vitamin C flavour tablet if you're that addicted to sweet things
-limit your intake of high calorie dishes especially sweets and anything deep fried
-do more exercise
-take as much food as you normally would at a serving, but then throw away a few forkfuls before you eat anything. You are now dieting. Congratulations

also limit eating out, restaurant food is very complex and often very high calorie.

And yes, your dumb fat arse will lose weight, within a week if you're not a fucking pussy who can't control their impulses.

I've lost 92lbs on one.

BUT DID YOU KEEP IT OFF!?!?!

Nope. It's just a meme like everything else.
Now go eat your 'go 'za like a good shitposter.
WA LA

Yeah. I ate like shit all last semester and I stayed at 75 off of the whole 5 months. Now I'm going for 150.

is your name Jack

DIETOOOO?!?!?

You're an idiot.

Nope. Most people who try to diet fail, and most of those who succeed gain it back. This is because fat people have a certain kind of mindset. Those who succeed end up educating themselves about nutrition and making a big lifestyle change

Not "dieting" per se, but changing your eating habits as part of your lifestyle does. I've lost 30 lbs just by cutting out things I know are bad for me, fried foods, overly fatty foods, switching to turkey or bison burgers instead of beef burgers, drinking only water and unsweetened iced or hot tea, making sure I eat plenty of fiber and non-starchy vegetables every day. Making some simple changes to your eating lifestyle can have big results, as long as you look at it as permanent change, and not as just a "diet", because diets always eventually fail.

Dieting is all that matters if you're goal is to lose weight. Just make sure by "dieting" you mean making more or less long term sustainable changes to your diet and not just "I'm gonna starve myself for 2 months then go back to eating a block of cheese while riding my hoveround every day".

How is this even a question?

>Does dieting actually work?

Barneyfag shitposting, ladies and gentlemen

No because fat fuckers don't actually diet, they either diet for 1-2 days then come off it, or they 'diet' and actually just eat even more junk food in secret.

Fat is a mindset, a lifestyle. If you're a fat fucker you're unlikely to change it. Sorry pal, the gods did not choose you to be an attractive or healthy human.

what the fuck do you mean "does dieting actually work?"

moshikashite...DIETO???????

dat 60fps

Yes.
Cut the crap, eat good stuff and smaller portions and you will lose weight.

This. My fat coworkers diets consist of starving themselves for 5 working days then binging on junk over the weekend over and over and over. I feel really bad for them because they just cant get it to stick because they punish themselves. They treat food like its a nuisance in their lives.

Depends on if you detox first, do keto first, stay hydrated, and aren't mentally ill/alcoholic/a genetic mess etc.

Technically anything you eat is your diet even if you don't follow a diet plan, and as eating food provides sustenance to your body it can be concluded that your diet works.

Yes.

I stopped drinking and lost a lot of weight just from that.

If you burn more calories than you consume you lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn you gain weight. What you burn can vary and how many calories you actually get out of certain fibrous foods can vary but the principle can never be wrong as it would violate physical laws.

Yes, but most "diets" are bad for you. You end up not having enough calories to maintain a healthy weight and just try to go as low as possible to lose weight as quickly as possible. Or you take unhealthy weight loss supplements or eat unhealthy diet foods. But you'll still lose weight if you're not eating too many calories.

It's better to just eat foods in the proper proportions to maintain your ideal weight.

You can still drink soda, but you should limit yourself to a 6 oz serving. It should also take the place of a dessert.

You can still eat deep fried foods, just smaller portions and have a serving of steamed veg with vinegar or something, no other fatty sides.

You can eat bread, but try to get bread that doesn't have a lot of sugar added. Some bread has over a teaspoon of sugar per slice.

Knowing things like that will help keep you healthier than just eating dry salads and drinking water.

What kind of fucktarded question is this? I'm imagining the fat fuck posting this, Dorito crumbs periodically shedding off his neckbeard, jamming his keyboard keys, as he wonders

>does dieting actually work

He then attaches anime image #3627 to his post and away it goes.

Of course it works you idiotic hamplanet. You eat less calories than you burn in a day, and you will lose weight, that simple. I'm so sick of fat dipshits like you going

> hurrr dieting doesn't work I've dieted a bunch and never lost any weight

Instead of shitting up a chinese cartoon imageboard with you moronic questions, how about just googling

>calorie calculator

Punch in 450lb, 5'7", sedentary and boom, there are your calorie needs for the day. Eat 500 less and you will lose 1lb a week, regardless of how often you leave your mom's basement

It will save some of your precious energy, and slow the cancer people like you have given this board

Also fuck your thread and get derailed faggot

humans are animals mange.

If I start giving my cat 70% of the food she is used to she will lose weight, Humans are the same shit

Dieting is a short term solution to a long term problem.

If you pair it with changes in behavior, yes.

Calm down Julius.

I lost 80 pounds from January 2015 to January 2016, going from 265 to 185, and I am currently at 170. Almost entirely through dieting, I only walk 30 minutes and do 100 pushups daily, and I mean just 5 sets of 20, doing a set when bored.
Stop drinking soda and beer, cook all your meals, eat reasonable portions, no seconds, go for light snacks, eat your vegetables and tada, you successfully dieted.
Today, I ate 2 eggs and an orange for breakfast with coffee, turkey sandwich with sweet tea for lunch, dinner was chicken breast and brussel sprouts and rice with lemonade, and I had a little bag of nuts and an apple for snacks. It's that easy.

"Dieting" is short term.
Making an actual change in your diet should be long term, and it is a change in your eating behaviors.

That's what a diet is. Of course it doesn't work if you don't stick to it. If you don't stick to an exercise regimen you have the same thing.

>crunches
That meme died in the 80's. Have fun hurting your neck doing the shittiest, least efficient ab workout ever

>hurting your neck doing crunches
Is your head as heavy as a bowling ball?

Google it if you don't believe me. It's been common knowledge for decades.

Google how much the human head weighs

Let's break down this question:
Does eating differently mean your body will be affected by the change?
=
Does food affect your body?

Yes you fucking idiot that's why you eat it.

Stored fat is meant to be useful. Most people trying to diet do not consider their fat useful, or don't think they have enough useful muscle. People who fail value the aesthetics or taste or sensation of food they know to be available to them over their long-term goals.

It's really not complicated.

Cause and effect.
Priorities.

Lost 160 pounds (295 to 130-5) 100 of that was through eating raw vegetables, chicken and water alone.

Yes it does.

>the main thing getting you fat is alcohol

Yes, in addition, very heavy physical excersive for long periods of time will greatly boost your testosterone levels. Which results in a cure against depression, bliss and offcourse better social skills and sexual stamina.

So Veeky Forums, why haven't you lift your fat ass and went for a long fucking run?

Testosterone doesn't improve social skills, nor does it impart bliss. It does reduce concentration and overall intelligence when levels exceed requirements, however.

In conjunction with exercise, yes. I was diagnosed with two horrible diseases that together very negatively and severely affect my nerves, joints and muscles then subsequently ballooned up. Went from 89kg/190something lbs down to 78kg/172lbs and have moreorless kept it off, fluctuating up by 2kg/5lbs every now and again.

I pedal around nine hours daily. I have two pedal machines: one under my work desk and one at the foot of my couch because those are the two places I spend the vast majority of my waking hours where my legs would otherwise be idle (IE not driving). If I'm working or watching TV, I'm also exercising my legs. Also, I can't run, really, because I have Parkinson's. Cycling helps reduce Parkinsonian symptoms considerably, so on top of helping with weight management, cycling also aids in curbing my disease.
So yeah: that's why I don't run. Faggot.

lol aids

>a genetic mess
This is a cop out for 99% of the people who say it.
Even most people who have serious thyroid problems only have a 10-15% decreased metabolism. And most of the people who claim to are just full of shit.

Very few people were fat 100 years ago.
People haven't changed much in that same period, other than our lifestyle/culture.

>People haven't changed much in that same period
People with debilitating or fatal illness are living much longer now than they would have 100 years ago. Someone with a thyroid issue may not have lasted long back then.

But yes, it is clearly a result of a sedentary lifestyle, overuse of cars, quick and cheap food that is high and calories and full of sugar/fat/salt to keep you coming back, etc.

They just need to not cram their face full of high calorie bullshit, eat more veggies, drink way more water and find something active to do if they care about their mobility as they age.

I'm not going to let other people take care of me. If I lose the ability to maintain myself under my own power, it's time for a 500ct bottle of Benadryl, whatever pain killers/etc I can get, and some nice SoCo hot chocolate for a final nightcap.

What about people who were born without necks and shit?

Fad diets don't work
Lifestyle changes work

Most people ate until they lost their neck, as opposed to the incredibly rare 'no-neck-congenital-defect' person you're referencing.

I see amazing shittons of people all day, every day from all over the country. I've had other jobs that bring me into contact with shittons of people all over my area.
I have yet to see someone lacking a neck that wasn't simply obscured by a walrus like layer of fat.

>Unamerican
Yeah, opinion discarded

Yes but you have to "diet" permanently. Better to say that you're changing eating habits for life.

Yeah, I went from 245 to 160lb @ 6'1" in about a year, and the worst I've ever backslid was one time two years ago when I hit 185, after which I changed my diet and got down to 155.

The trick is to find a diet that isn't stupid as hell. When I say "diet", I mean a pattern of eating based around scientifically established foods and preparations that are known to be beneficial to health. That means eating vegetables, eating at least low-GI fruit, things like whole/unprocessed grains, resistant starch, eating fats with a good omega 3:6 ratio, eating low-mercury fish or chicken instead of red meat, eating more legumes, eating garlic and onions, etc.

185 is perfect for 6'1 why would you go any further?

btw none of that shit you said matters, it's all about calories in/out

>185 is perfect for 6'1 why would you go any further?
It depends on your bodyfat percentage more than anything. Even when I was fairly muscular from lifting heavy at the gym 3-4 times a week, about 15% bf (measured via calipers) @ 180lb, I had a double chin. I hate having a double chin more than possibly anything.

>btw none of that shit you said matters, it's all about calories in/out

In terms of raw weight loss, sure, but in terms of health that's not true. For example, eating 500 calories of sugar per day will impact your insulin resistance, cardiovascular health, and cancer risk far differently than eating 500 calories of sweet potato or avocado or black beans. An equivalent caloric amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids will have opposite effects, as omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and omega 6 fatty acids are pro-inflammatory. An equivalent amount of white and brown rice have the opposite effect regarding relative risk of developing type 2 diabetes. An equivalent amount of steak and fish will have the opposite effect regarding heart disease. If you lose weight on a crash diet of 500 calories of sugar, you'll lose far more lean body mass - relative to fat - than if you do a crash diet with 500 calories of fat.

Anecdotally, I lost a lot of weight eating mostly bacon and steak and butter, but my LDL cholesterol was over 240, I had frequent migraines, my blood pressure was high, I had terrible shits and mild ED. Now I eat much more fiber and more fruit/vegetables and while my weight is the same, my cholesterol/blood pressure are ideal, my migraines are gone, and my dick works again.