Sacher Torte

Wat up Veeky Forums?

I am making a modified Sacher Torte using a recipe on epicurious for my spouse's birthday. Will post live updates. Hope you can join me.

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1638-oven-thermometers
amazon.com/CDN-DOT2-ProAccurate-Thermometer-NSF-Certified/dp/B000095RC5
youtube.com/watch?v=EsaTyAI2qxs
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-cake-balls-361550
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First I made a piece of paper for my cake pan (pie pan) and set the oven to preheat to 350

Buttered the pan and paper (on both sides) generously and sprinkled some flour on

Melting 4.5 oz of chocolate. I think I will use a little extra.

Good luck OP, is sacher torte difficult to make?

I put some heavy cream in to keep the chocolate moving

This is gonna end up being a 'go 'za isn't it?

Butter doesn't want to go smooth. Will warm it a bit in the over.

Not sure friend. Never tried this before.
If that means pizza to go, I'm sure my spouse won't object.

Butter cooperating

Separated 6 large eggs. Will add yolks 1 by 1 to the mixture that is now 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter.

Looks like delicious custard now.

Keeping watch, please don't puke in your recipe

Beating in chocolate and vanilla

>i measure my vanilla extract exactly

monitoring this thread opie. it's just like in my japanese animes.

6 egg whites and 1 tbsp less than 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Took a while to beat it! My masturbating arm isn't as enduring as I thought.

Will try not to. Haven't eaten lunch, but may open the rum
Usually I measure double or quadruple, but this cake is not for me.

Egg whites folded in

Sifting and folding in 3/4 cup cake flour

Do you have an oven thermometer OP?
I just got this last week and when I tested mine, it measured 30°F under what the display read.
cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1638-oven-thermometers
amazon.com/CDN-DOT2-ProAccurate-Thermometer-NSF-Certified/dp/B000095RC5

This is Baking user. If you are off by ⅛ oz, your oven will explode and kill your family.

the only vanilla extract measurements i use are half bottle and whole bottle

What animes are those friend?

Cake is ready for the oven.
See you in 35 to 45 minutes.

Looks good OP, did you make sure to tap the pan to force any air bubbles out?

Yumeiro Patissiere (Japanese: 夢色パティシエール Hepburn: Yumeiro Patishiēru, lit. Dream-Colored Pastry Chef, sometimes stylized Yumeiro Pâtissière)

I can't resist having a little rum while I wait. Hope you will join me.

Hmm I did not do this specifically. Vertical tapping?
From the pictures of sachers I have seen it looks like it is supposed to have some bubbles.

Cake in the oven

If you tap it you'll lose most of the air from egg whites. It's the only raising agent here so you really don't want that

What about your spouse's son?

Lookin goood

Cake rose quite a bit compared to reviewers. Will test with a toothpick.

Toothpick clean. Now to cool.

We don't have any kids. Planning to have a bunch of dogs first.

I don't have an oven thermometer. It is a good idea. I have a baking nazi friend who tries to keep me in line but I am a little free form. I am glad you brought it up. I certainly wonder what my oven's deviation is.

Cake out. It collapsed substantially. Going for 2 layers.

I cut the cake into more or less a circle. What to do with the edges?

2 layers

Picked up this at the supermarket for the middle layer. 1 and 1/4 cups will go in a pot with 2 tbsp rum

Simmering 3 to 5 minutes

Strained for some reason. Will be smooth and tasty.

That's great work OP, I almost never get clean even layer cuts out of mine, except for using the toothpick method:
youtube.com/watch?v=EsaTyAI2qxs

>What to do with the edges?
CAKE POPS.
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-cake-balls-361550

Glazed layer 1

Gorgeous. The fruit pectin in the preserves is what gives the glaze it's lustrous sheen. You have to use unflavored gelatin powder/strips to get the same effect in other frostings or ganache.

Layer 2

Pretty good so far. The only complaint I have is that the word is Sachertorte, not Sacher Torte.

Thanks! I'll check out the tooth cake method and the cake pops
Yum! It's going to get covered soon though

More chocolate

Plus 1/2 cup of heavy cream

Glazed with chocolate!
Going to the gym now. Keep the thread alive for me folks. Will show a piece tonight during birthday celebrations.

Ya done good here, OP.

GJ OP.

Birthday supper for my spouse is pork chops rubbed with vulcan's fire salt, black pepper, cayenne, and bronzeville all from thespicehouse. Corn sautéed in butter and black pepper.

Thank you both. I am encouraged by the participation. I may post more play by plays in the weeks to come.

Actually it was Aleppo pepper with the corn.

This looks great OP.

My wife made me this cake for my birthday

Thanks Kawell! I enjoy your threads.

I'm not too familiar with baking, but isn't it usual to melt chocolate over a hot water bath instead of applying direct heat?

that's true, but I don't believe in double boilers as a necessity. It takes a lot of extra time, so I prefer to do it over direct heat. I am going to try custard and hollandaise recipes over direct sometime.

maybe modern pans and ovens are good enough at equally spreading heat that it's not all that necessary anymore

It is, you are less likely to burn it that way. You can melt chocolate perfectly fine over low heat without the double boiler tho, just keep an eye on it