So what's the deal with air fryers?

So what's the deal with air fryers?

Anyone own one? How does it work? How does it compare to traditional frying? It looks like a skymall/infomercial novelty, but I've been impressed in the past with slap choppers (what I like to refer to as a poor man's food processor), or the PIzazz rotating broiler.

It uses far less oil to fry things. Drawbacks: limited to space and shape of tray also if you don't fry much the benefits aren't really there.

Protip: don't buy a product that has to photoshop real food into photos of it.

Came here to ask about these too. I'm moving and a family friend got me one of those and she swears by it. Haven't even opened it yet, but I'm kinda excited to check it out and see how it works.

Anyone else have any good recipes or tips for these things?

>It uses far less oil to fry things.
how is that even a selling point, oil is cheap and reusable. also stacking food like in the photo is highly ineficient for heat diffusion, resulting in longer cooking time. That shit looks like it belongs to the trash more than anything.

Isn't your oven an airfryer? Why do you need to buy another oven?

My mother bought one so she could eat 'healty fries'. That thing has been standing in her kitchen for 7 months now, only used once.

i tried some of the fries. They tasted rancid.
That's the only experience I have with them.

Selling point could be that less of the oil ends up the food, making it healthier?

He asked, I answered. I'm not buying one of these pieces of shit.

protip: everything is photoshopped in advertisement you dumb fucker

So it's a convection oven with a heated oil spritzer? Or am I missing something?

I was just thinking this.

What the fuck.

I mean, it might be a good alternative to an oven in the summer since it'll heat up the fucking house.

Not this poorly, you sad sack.

Cooking oil is healthy if you don't use garbage.

Seconding this. The food is not fried, just air heated up and fries don't taste like fries at all.

0/10 would never use again

I don't own one but know people who do and they say it only works with pre fried food, like the frozen stuff you can buy anywhere.
If you just cut some potatoes and throw it there it won't taste or look like a fried one.

it's never healthy you're deluding yourself with price tags

itt: fatties with post purchase rationalization

There is no such thing as healthy vegetable oil, especially not if you're using it for frying.

I own one of these things, got it as a christmas gift from a well meaning but rather clueless aunt.

Essentially it's just a really compact convection oven with a really powerful fan and a basket inside instead of a rack.

So far I've experimented with it and my general take is that it does a decent job with Frozen fries and tater tots, and it's good if you wanna do quick and dirty oven fries. I've also tried putting frozen chicken bits in with mixed results. I often find that more often than not you dont even need any oil to get a good crisp outside on potatoes, but everything else could stand from tossing before hand in a little bit of canola to get that proper coat on it.

Supposedly too you can do a whole bunch of weird ass things inside one of them like single serve applie pies or souffles and stuff since again, this is just a weird Convex oven set up for better air circulation than you'd get on a baking sheet or an oven rack. THat being said if I wanted any of that stuff I'd probably juts make it in the damn oven like a human being.

So ... It's nice? I guess? If you're really into frozen tendies and fries and fish and crap It's kinda worth it, and I'll admit it does better a better job with oven fries because you can take the basket out and give it a shake and toss without really fucking up your cooking time. Otherwise, skip it.

So it's basically a toaster oven then.

>There is no such thing as healthy vegetable oil

That's wrong doe.

I want to see you use a slap chop to make hollandaise sauce

Id like to see op make ganash with one

No, a air fryer is a frying system where the frier traps the oil in gas form, and uses that gas to cook the food.
As opposed to boiling the dish in oil.

>No, a air fryer is a frying system where the frier traps the oil in gas form

I almost responded that it's impossible to turn oil into a gas because that would require you to boil the oil which is also impossible

Somehow I'm a published former physicist...lulz

There some oils which go gaseous without decomposing. Perfluorpolyether for instance, they use it for vapour phase soldering.

That's not what you said. The other guy was right.

I guess I should say "boil without decomposing". Natural oils can obviously evaporate at lower temperature, but not in any significant amounts.

You just don't know how to make them.
>Cut potato into small fries (~1.5 inch max)
>Boil for a couple of minutes
>Drain, let it steam
>Mix in some olive oil and salt, pop into airfryer
>shake it every once in a while

They come out crispy and fluffy on the inside, it's almost indistinguishable from french fries.

The only downside is that you can't have them overlapping, so you can only make fries for about 2 people (they take about 15 minutes so it's not worth it to do multiple batches).

Upside: no cleanup at all.

It's also pretty good for bacon and meatballs, not much else though. Tried to fry breaded chicken breasts and they come out pale and dry as fuck.