British food

So last year I did a bit of traveling. I admit upfront, american food was a bit disappointing. It was highly procesed, but mostly edible.

British food was a fucking disaster. Nothing in stores taste fresh. Most traditional foods like fish n chips, english brekfast, pastries etc. was terribly bland. Same deal with restaurants. Nobody seasons anything. I honestly cook better when I get back home 4am drunk.

inb4: Fuck you, you dont know anything.

If you think british "food" is good, travel to any European country and feel dissapointment in your homeland.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-tNWYclVn-Q
worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-las1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>highly procesed, but mostly edible.
>highly procesed
>terribly bland.
>bland.

>buys fast food and shit pre made crap from supermarkets and shit restaurants
>surprised when it's shit

to be fair, even a bunch of small restaurants are just fronts for sysco franchises these days.

Honestly, this sounds like a good summary of the British culinary experience. You have to look a long time for decent food and it is invariably marked up to some ridiculous price. On the continent it is relatively easy to find a good cafe or bistro, and the produce is obviously better.

I can't speak for english food, But I recently traveled around the US, and loved the food. Although I specifically sought out places known for good food. But the US is very heavy on the salt, from fine dining to buffet style shit.

The pubs in london had some of the best burgers i've ever eaten in europe.

All the rest was fucking horrible.

you were either lured into shitty restaurants that rip off american tourists or were too poor to afford a decent place.

I'd have cooked for you personally when you visited user, but I don't have any good recipes for dick. Sorry.

Oh look Nigel got triggered. Why are you on this website? I'm going to report you for hate speech.

>but I don't have any good recipes for dick
He prefers his raw.

before thread gone shit. what is the most british food ever made? include pics please

Macaroni and cheese, apple pie and Kit Kats. Lasagne was also an English dish but back then it did not contain tomatoes.

>English food is shit
>But American food is GREAT!
yea we know

>Lasagne was also an English dish but back then it did not contain tomatoes
wait what, so what does it contains?

>kit kats
i thought this is a japanese things, considering the varieties they had

>wait what, so what does it contains?
Everything else but the tomato, I imagine it was not a popular dish at the time otherwise it would have remained a staple food.

typical whiney shitpost. I could name 50 US restaurants, and many home kitchens (yeah, I'm talking about you boys and girls) you would call good to fucking awesome.

But that's how actual Britons eat.

There's a reason why the only things tourists rave about in British cuisine are Yorkshire puddings and the sunday roast. You're about the only non-Scandinavian country that has made seafood completely bland. Your sausages are shit. Your pastries are dull. Your vegetables are wimpy. Half of everything comes from a can. Your population regularly vacations in Europe just so they can occasionally remind themselves what food tastes like.

>Your pastries are dull
Doing fine until then, the UK is famous for pies and even invented the Apple one.

apple pie was perfected by the americans, specifically in Vermont and the Adirondacks (north of albany, ny). doesn't matter who invented it, we do it right, here.

>apple pie was perfected by the americans
This is the pizza, burgers and hotdog argument all over again, go back to your fast food threads.

Is this anorexic bitch lambasting American excess from the restaurant supply aisle?

Is she actually retarded?

You lie OP . . ..you NEVER went to Britain.

Your post is just a meme fest.

Just admit, you are another 'know-all' who has never travelled to the UK.

The UK has the best restaurant scene in Europe aside from maybe France at the high end. London might be shit but it is maybe one of the best places to eat in the world (poorfags not invited).

British supermaket produce doesnt compete with the continent however we are above or equal to in culinary areas to all of germanic Europe and probably have a wider variety of food (muh empire) than any of those countries

I would prefer to go North Italia or North Spain for eating instead of London, traditional or vanguard food if you want it with top tier ingredients and a very lively scene rescuing local products. Plus weather and culture are more upbeat.

Lasagne
Sounds real english to me. Well played chap. Also tacos, and lo mein can be traced back to ole England. But no corn for the tacos, and no soy sauce for the lo mein. Otherwise they'd still be staples.

I thought it was the dutch. Or it could be that the dutch settled the northeast earlier than England. So we just reffer to it as Dutch apple pie?

Nottingham here, there are plenty of single run restaurants in town that charge about £8-£14 a main, that's well within the range of someone working minimum wage to have as a treat and the food is freshly made, quality stuff.

>Bills
>Thaikoon
>Rub
>Le Bistro Pierre
>Loch Fyne
>Something Fishy
>Tamatanga
>Turtle Bay (I think this is a nationwide chain now though)
>TarnThai
>Reds
>Annies Burger Shack
>Soulville Steakhouse
>Tropeiro
>Georges
>Wildwood
>Zizzi's

If you can't find good food in the UK you are a retard, this is barely half of the good restaurants just in the city centre, move 5 miles out and you can quadruple this list.

British food is surprisingly like American food with regards to how average people eat, especially older people. Not exactly the same type of food but the quality and level of seasoning for sure (apart from the cheese which I think is superior). I remember watching some show where MPW tried to make a menu of all british dishes from entirely british ingredients and it was kind of funny how poorly they were received by his clientele. It wasn't even weird shit like jellied eels, we're talking fish pies here

But like America, Britain benefits from being a multicultural, cosmopolitan, patchwork society and their food obviously reflects that. After NYC, London is the most important city in the world and probably one of the richest too so it attracts a good food culture. I don't know much about how it is outside of that area but there is a lovely pastry shop in Dartmouth and I had some first rate puddings and fish in Aberdeen. I was drunk most of the time I was in Edinburgh but I assume they get on pretty well too.

Basically if you ask a young, well-off person where to get some good food they ought to be able to steer you in the right direction. Working class shits have terrible taste and the older posh people are still cramming their gullets with cucumber sandwiches.

t. American who lived in Rotherhithe for a year

>Lasagne
>Sounds real english to me
Actually it's true.
The recipe of pasta sheets, layered with cheesy sauce dates back to the 14th Century. No Tomatoes then, it was another 100 years before they were brought over.

It was even called loseyns - pronounced Lasan.

And the mods allow yet another shitposting thread.

10/10 guys.

>Yet another "I'm an American and I spent a whole week in England and didn't like the food in the shit tier tourist traps I could afford" thread

How fascinating.

God damn you people are utterly obsessed with us.

>sausages are shit

neck yourself.

>loseyns
Well color me impressed user.

cool

sometimes the best way to get a good thread started about a particular cuisine is to say it is shit and have the IDF come out and post comfy food. Don't you know how the internet works?

I'm British and I can confirm that most of our food fucking sucks. Imo "foodie culture" which is very popular amongst the middle class isn't a real cooking culture and is more like a nerdy interest than a homegrown knowledge of cooking.

I live in France now and I can say that people appreciate good cooking so much more here. There isn't actually that much elitism.

Now what surprised me was that nearly everyone my age that I know can't cook for shit. I have a french gf and I cook maybe 95% of the time.

I would also say that processed supermarket British food is really good and much better than American food. Just compare the ingredients list on a can of baked beans in England and a can in the USA and you can see.

Nobody can ever give an answer as to what those balls in this picture are.

I wish you self hating Brits would go see a therapist.

There is nothing wrong with "British food culture" it is a mix of northern & western european "food culture" (You know, what with the mix of Angle, Saxon & Normon culture) with a dose of Conquered Brown People "food culture".

Yet here you are comparing it to French food. Even though British & French share a root "food culture", except the British version isn't a monoculture.

Are you talking about fine dining? I'm talking about common cooking. The cooking that most families do on a daily basis. That's food culture.

I don't believe we have it. Or if we do it basically amounts to cooking a roast on a sunday and steaming vegetables and eating chicken kievs during the week. It's not self hating, it's a valid observation. I worked as a school teacher in various places for six years before moving. I got to know a lot about the kinds of food that children and their families eat. It's poor m8.

>I admit upfront, american food was a bit disappointing. It was highly procesed, but mostly edible.
Uh... what part of the country were you in and what kind of food did you try?

Bet you feel like a right tit now.

>Are you talking about fine dining?

No, but it's interesting that's where you went.

>I don't believe we have it.

I don't care what you believe; it isn't true. It's the "everything was better when I were a lad/in the 1950's/on the Continent/in America/on the moon" wishing that the British (mostly the English) just love to engage in.

I can go into an average supermarket in France and find just as much shit and microwave meals as I can in the average British supermarket. I can find just as much fresh veg, meat & fish in a British supermarket as I can in a French one. Poor people in France eat processed food too.

I'm with you I think it is pretty obvious to anyone who has been to both countries and met actual real people there they would agree.

>go to scotland
>eat roasts, fish and chips with an irn bru, blood pudding, nandos, burgers

>go to france
>spend 2 hours eating lunch, host keeps bringing out runny cheeses, rabbit pate, fresh bread, delicious preserves and cured meats
>walk a extra 20 minutes to get to the other market because "pierre has better tomatoes than this one"
>even the McDonalds here is better
>spend all day making saucisson

Anglos are too occupied with making money. Of course they don't have unemployment like France does but they live dismal lives

>it's interesting that's where you went.

Well yes, because you claimed that French cooking was a monoculture. Which, when it comes to haute-cuisine it is and much of English fine dining comes from that.

However, traditional or common French cooking is not a monoculture at all. There's a huge difference between the different regions. A family in the south-west eats differently to a family in Normandy. The way this country thinks about traditional cuisine is very different and regions have done well to preserve the different varieties of regional dish. Now of course, in England we have some regional specialities but really, there isn't nearly anywhere near the same diversity that has been preserved. I've lived in Yorkshire, Surrey, Essex, Bristol, Devon and feel like I can say this.

England has a great foreign influence in our food, but when most people cook curries they buy a jar of pataks and put it in with chicken. That's not really cooking and it doesn't really represent a cooking culture. Here there are more families who would try and make its own tagine. Yes it might be a bastardised version but they use real ingredients and not a jar from sainsburys.

Of course that's not to say that there aren't plenty of cooking plebs in France: Macdonalds is absurdly popular here and young people seem pretty crappy at cooking in my limited experience so far. However, I do still think there is a cooking culture that has continued in family cooking. I teach in a school in Lyon btw so I could be completely wrong but even parents who aren't particularly wealthy cook proper food.

Anyway I'm not a self hater and English cooking in the 50's was way fucking worse.

I have to say, the quality of fresh vegetables really sold me on French food. Tomatoes are actually really nice here. I can't believe I spent so much time eating bland shit tomatoes back home.

I don't think Anglos live dismal lives at all I just don't think a love of cooking is a big part of it.

don't blame them for having shit cooking post war, it fucked america for the next 60 years too

>Scottish food is shit

Even the Scots will admit that.

To be honest I think common English cooking culture really suffered from the rapid industrialisation that preceded most European nations. Just a hunch but it's my guess as to why so much food that is consumed is processed in cans/jars/etc.

>I'm British
>fucking sucks
>a can

You Ameriblobs are too stupid to shitpost properly. The Devil is in the detail.

We do like to cook.

I live in Toulouse, we have 1-2 open markets everyday inside the city, with local products and foodstuff.

It's sometimes 2-3 times less expensive on some food items than supermarkets.

In less than 20 min you could anything you need for 4-5 days of cooking.

I usually go on sundays, eat breakfast (handmade pastries, coffee), and come back with a rotisserie chicken/paella/sausages/etc... for lunch and groceries for the week.

refrigeration, canning, and mass production in the name of capitalism is what did it. But that is the trade off we make for having northern euro heritage/ethnicity. Our food is uninspired but we personally are wealthier

Don't eat the white people food in Britain. It's all about the indian food my dude.

It's amazing how you faggots are experts at everything and knowers of nothing.

I do wonder about you people, you tell all of these elaborate lies and create these fantastical stories about people and places you have never known in order to try and spite them.

For all of this effort they must have committed some slight to you all, but this surely isn't healthy for your psyche.

it's just a meme dude but everybody knows the stereotypes between northern and southern europe. I read an economist article that went so far as to say the Wallonian/Flemish divide is a microcosm of the entirety of europe (the important non slav bits anyways)

>London maybe one of the best places to eat in the world

this is the stupidest thing I have ever fucking read in my entire life.

It's the perfect personification of repeat a lie enough times and you start to believe it yourself.

I have seen people born here, the usual self hating sort swallow the lie themselves.

It's such an insidious lie that it is impressive by its own right, yet there is a sadness to its existence that so much energy can be put into a lie. People want to believe it, so they do.

There is something much deeper at work with this.

You are telling me the 5th richest city in the world WON'T have plenty of great restaurants.

>curry
>kebab
>fishsticks

ayyy, best food in the world no question about it

>isn't a real cooking culture and is more like a nerdy interest than a homegrown knowledge of cooking.

This. youtube.com/watch?v=-tNWYclVn-Q

It's the difference between having maybe two generations that are "into cooking" and have relatively good ingredients available, and a culture that's had a hundred year history of passing down good cooking.

We had a culinary tradition, but it pretty much got reset to scratch by WWII.

Step up your pizza game, sempai.

God you Americans are a cancer.

Nice. I live in Levallois Perret. There's a nice market here considering it's in the city.
Kek'd hard

UK shouldn't even be allowed on a food board asshole

Go back to your fast food threads.

>American "cheese" threads.
>American "chocolate" threads
>American "which brand xx is best?" threads

Such garbage.

Truth. Have you ever met chef Dan from Cysco? Total douche as is the rest of their sales staff.

Aww bless, he thinks burgers are an americunt imvention. Oh quaint.

Nah.
(me)
I welcome new knowledge. But can you not see how that mistake can be easily made. And I would like to feel a right tit if you'd oblige.

Maybe next time you will do some simple googling before spouting memes.

What, that's amazing. I thought you were taking the piss at first.

welcome to Veeky Forums nigger

Oh. My. God.

hey its just a picture of a girl with mayo and she has a jeering look we're ok

As an American, I can honestly say that there's nothing more pathetic and loathsome than a self-hating Brit.

is there anything more pathetic than an anglo defending his native cuisine?

>you just didn't go to the good boiled meat restaurant
>actually [foreign food that doesn't suck] was invented in england
>it's all because of the war

if you would believe the anglo cooking defense force britons were eating garlic and peppers and stuff with flavor until those damn germans bombed them until they forgot how to make anything but fried fish and aspic.

>anglo
What is it with this /pol/ meme and why try to bring it to Veeky Forums?

>if you would believe the anglo cooking defense force britons were eating garlic and peppers and stuff with flavor until those damn germans bombed
Well full points to you for ignorance, The British were eating all sorts of stuff from Nutmeg, Cinnamon,saffron, cardamom and a huge variety of herbs long before America was even discovered.

The problem post-war - was that there was a generation who grew up without learning about decent food and due to rationing which ended in the mid 1950's, they had less access to many ingredients we take for granted today.

Much of what you eat today (such as macaroni cheese and Apple-pie is English in origin). Trying to be edgy with memes and a complete lack of knowledge of the British food, just makes you look dumb.

Macaroni and cheese.is credited to JeffersoIn new england. Not English. Apple pie is right though.

Jefferson in new England. My bad.

I bet grimes cunt tastes like mayo

>Macaroni and cheese.is credited to JeffersoIn new england
America claims credit for everything but it's not true and it doesn't take much to find out.

>before America was even discovered
some of the best tasting foods like tomato and peppers came from america, but only southern europe incorporated it into their cooking.

>due to rationing
you can grow garlic and onions in your yard. or are you going to claim that the luftwaffe even bombed potted oregano?

>you can grow garlic and onions in your yard
They were grown. I guess you are short of argument points though.

> tomato and peppers came from america
Well South America and apart from chocolate and potatoes - that's it!!!!

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make? . . unless it's the 'British Food meme' !

From the little details in your post I can determine that you are from Quebec, which in and of itself is a greater insult than anyone here could muster.

>Macaroni and cheese.is credited to JeffersoIn new England. Not English

Are Ameriblobs this stupid on purpose or is it a natural trait?

>However, Nick Shearing, one of the staff of the Oxford English Dictionary, having paused only to restore his eyebrows to their normal position, found within minutes of reading the story that the first mention of lasagne in Italian was in a work of 1281, a century before it was supposedly invented in England. (The famous Italian traveller Marco Polo came across a dish while he was in China that he described as being like lasagne, and he died in 1324, long before the English cookery book appeared.) In fact, the word is first recorded in English in 1760; its wide popularity is quite recent. It derives from the Vulgar Latin lasania for a cooking pot, though its insalubrious origins are said to in the older Latin lasanum for a chamber pot (though I am told that Italian etymologists prefer to find an origin in the classical Greek lagana, a type of unleavened flat bread not unlike pasta). Lasagne, by the way, is the Italian plural of lasagna, meaning one piece of this type of pasta; Brits employ the plural form both for the pasta and the dish made from it, while Americans usually plump for the singular in both cases.

>So what is this word loseyns? Well, there are a couple of instances of it in the Oxford English Dictionary. It’s an old form of lozenge. The recipe is instructing the cook that the pasta should be cut into diamond shapes.

What is the source for this information? You make it look like a wikipedia entry but it isn't anywhere on the page.

Post source now because the English seem to be winning this one as they actually do have a source for their claim.

Good job that the poster is american then, we call cans tins.

It's a tin of baked beans, always has been.

Oh you had to spoil his fun.

>northern europe is rich
>souther europe is poor

I can see you've never been to northern spain, they are en economic powerhouse and the region is wealthy as fuck.

It's only the south of spain that drags them down.

Dammit fellow Bong . .. .Some things you should keep quiet about.

Posters trying to pretend they are British always trip themselves up with little things like that,

Pro Tip: Next time acknowledge they are liars but don't give them the reasons.

Actually I am a Brit that just used a couple American words and criticised my own country.

And now some posters are throwing a hissy fit because they cannot approve of someone being critical of an (just one!) aspect of his country.

I've spent a lot of time with American expats and a lot of what they say has rubbed off on me sadly. I say can by mistake sometimes and identify as British because too often I get confused looks when I say English.

Now what part of what I wrote was self hating? I'm observing something I have seen in my country. Should I blindly love every single facet of my homecountry "just because"? That sounds completely retarded and something that would lead to a life of reactionary butthurt.

In my experience it's Americans who blindly defend their country, not Brits. We have a strong tradition of being downbeat about our country.

it is, annoyingly, unreferenced, but i found it here:

worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-las1.htm

>He reveals he is an American in the very first line of his post

I'm not even going to tell you where you fucked up but every true Briton can see it.

>And now some posters are throwing a hissy fit because they cannot approve of someone being critical of an (just one!) aspect of his country.

i agree that they should be able to accept criticism, but on this board if you give ground/make concessions to the people who are jingoistically shitting on british culture it is obviously gonna be annoying to the brits who feel offended.

anyway i've said it before and i'll say it again: we have a great, multicultural restaurant scene and probably a wider awareness of 'world food' than many other nations, one of the tradeoffs however is that the domestic standard of cooking and repertoire of recipes is quite poor. however the standard of cooking is going up and as a multicultural nation it is probably a little unfair to just boil our cuisine down to roast beef and fish and chips as if that reflects the average british diet.