How many of you like Shakshuka?

How many of you like Shakshuka?

I don't understand how this tomato, hot pepper and egg thing is supposed to be a breakfast item.

I don't understand why people think certain foods are breakfast foods and other foods are not.

Why not just eat whatever you want whenever?

>eat whatever you want whenever
>I am morbidly obese
fixed

Not that guy, but don't be stupid. Breakfast is simply a meal to break your overnight fast, and it CAN be anything (although it should be something nutritious). It could be shakshuka (which is fucking delicious), could be a chicken salad sandwich, could be eggs and toast, could be a slice of cold pizza, could be oatmeal with almonds and blueberries, could be leftover steak with a salad. I assume you can see where this is going.

>only eating traditional breakfast foods in the morning somehow keeps your appetite in check and you'd otherwise have no self-control

Ok.

Awesome for hangovers.

disgusting
everyone who likes it will burn in hell

This. Lol, it's like a meal version of a bloody mary with an egg in it (minus the vodka, but hey...)

eggs on 'go 'za? seriously?

you can have vodka on the side

1 onion
1 chilli
3 peppers
as much garlic as you want
cumin
paprika (smoked and sweet)
saffron
one tin of tomatoes
mint
eggs

slice the onion and pepper and chilli into thin strips and fry in olive oil until softened and the onion starts to brown
add minced garlic
add 1tsp of paprikas and 2 of cumin
add tomatoes
fill can with water and add that
add saffron
simmer for half an hour/45 mins
make welts in sauce and crack an egg
place lid over and cook for 4-5 mins until white is set
cover with mint to serve

eggs are generally considered a breakfast item.

>leftover steak
There should never, EVER be leftover steak. It reheats like ass.

Cultural thing. Possibly physiological thing, which I'll get into later.

While I agree with your philosophy on a theoretical level, I can't on a practical one. We traditionally eat two rather light breakfasts, one just before showering for the day and the other midway through the morning whilst at work at around 9.30-10am or so. Our two light breakfasts equal around the same caloric amounts as what the English-speaking world eats in one meal.
Eating one heavy meal of eggs and meat at breakfast just seems wrong to me somehow the same way that eating pork in general might seem wrong to even a non-practising Muzzie.

I've tried more western brekkie a few times, but it just left me feeling sluggish, which brings me to my idea that it might be physiological, too.
I've know Americans, Aussies, Irish and Brits who feel similarly out of sorts when eating two light meals (like rice porridge and fruit for one and toast and yogurt for the other) in the morning rather than one heavy one (like bacon, eggs, toast, cheese and so on).
Perhaps our bodies grow accustomed to eating particular sorts of foods in the morning and anything that knocks us from our particular routine just doesn't sit well.
I'm no doctor and I'm not versed in biological or dietetic sciences, so I could be completely off here, but it seems to make sense to me.

Ah, but sometimes there is, regardless. You don't just chuck it, that's wasteful. Slice it thinly and put on top of a salad. Eating it cold, and not reheating, is the best way to eat leftover steak.

>salad
>with meat
See? Another cultural thing! The idea of meat in a salad just seems fucking wrong to me.
But I guess it would be okay sliced thin and eaten with cheese between bread as a sandwich.

That's some fine looking 'go style 'za!

That's not really a "cultural" thing. Nearly every culture in the world has some kind of green salad that features meat on it or in it, except for a very few.
I think you're just a picky eater or underexposed to a wide swath of foods.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

why don't we just make a meat salad... different meats sort of like different vegetables. could have a bowl full of meat, slathered in ranch with a smattering of greens.

>slice the onion and pepper and chilli into thin strips and fry in olive oil until softened and the onion starts to brown
>add minced garlic
>add 1tsp of paprikas and 2 of cumin
>add tomatoes
>fill can with water and add that
>add saffron
>simmer for half an hour/45 mins
this part sounds really really good
>make welts in sauce and crack an egg
>place lid over and cook for 4-5 mins until white is set
>cover with mint to serve
but this is just disgusting

I really want to try shakshuka, but I'm boycotting Israel. Not to get too political, hopefully

Then just make the Italian version - Eggs in Purgatory.

Go back to /b/, you sweet little fag

Good to know, thanks for the tip. It seems to be basically the same thing minus paprika?

>it's not a cultural thing, you're just picky!!!!
You don't even know what culture I'm from, so how can you say it's not a cultural thing? There are more than a few cultures that don't make salads with meat in them.
I'll eat Western "salads" like chicken Caesar "salad" and enjoy it but the idea is still no less foreign and weird to me.
You might find rice salad or beetroot salad or tea leaf salad or noodle salad or tofu salad similarly odd. If you tried them, you might like them, but that doesn't make them any less odd to you.

I like Western, mayo-based salads like chicken salad and seafood salad and things like that, but having them on greens somehow seems wrong. I'll eat them if offered, but it's still weird.

What's the difference?

>You might find rice salad or beetroot salad or tea leaf salad or noodle salad or tofu salad similarly odd. If you tried them, you might like them, but that doesn't make them any less odd to you.

I've tried all of those, and I don't find any of them odd. There's a Burmese restaurant less than 2 miles from my house, and I fucking love tea leaf salad, I order it every time I go. Same goes for tofu salad, I make that all the time, as well as Indonesian rice salad and all sorts of noodle salads, as well as cold soba, and tsukemen. And beetroot salad is common among my family, as we're mostly of German heritage.
So yeah, you are picky, and you haven't had enough exposure to (as I said before) a wide swath of foods to feel comfortable eating a lot of things that are very common around the world.

That's stupid for multiple reasons, but Shaskhskahksjkusha is Arabian.

Jews "adopted" it.

Mm delish lookin' 'go 'za

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>you're picky
are you retarded or just being euphorically fedorable?
how does someone saying they eat X but think X is weird mean that they're picky? that doesn't sound picky to me.

How the hell does that impede you from making shakshuka at home?

It's easy to tell by the demeanor.
Just like your over-defensiveness gives you away as most likely a picky eater.

>There should never, EVER be leftover steak. It reheats like ass.

then don't reheat it

but it doesn't actually reheat like ass you're just overcooking it on the second pass. just cook it in a hot broth briefly or flash fry it and make a stir fry

i might be picky, but doesn't sound picky. you sound fedorable, though.

They're probably talking about a microwave imo

>fedorable

Go back to rebbit, summerfag.

It's an economic, academic, and cultural boycott. Whether the practical purposes really apply doesn't matter that much either compared to the fact that it would just feel wrong.

>simmer for half an hour/45 mins
>breakfast

you're moms a summerfag

My shakshuka is delicious.

I add 1.5 tps of sugar to the base, before I add the eggs.

It goes so well with warmed challah and butter.

Also so easy I can do it blind

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Shakshuka was really only considered a breakfast food because it incorporated eggs into the dish, and eggs being a breakfast food is more or less a western based etiology on what foods are traditionally considered "breakfast" foods. It's actually a very popular dinner meal and likely served more at night than morning. Still good eating though no matter the time of day.

Why?

Bubble, bubble.

Are the eggs poached or...what?

Some pictures I've seen they look poached and in a lot more they don't.

I am moms? That would be pretty difficult.
Lrn2english.

Haven't seen an 'o 'a like that since the cubs won the pennant!

They're supposed to be poached in the sauce, but you know, people fuck things up when they cook all the time.

no, you're moms a summerfag. your just regular type

I like it
I don't eat breakfast so I'll just have it for dinner or lunch

My cookbook calls this "eggs in purgatory". You just heat some garlic, basil, and tomato sauce up (small amount) in a pan until it's thickened, spread apart the sauce to slide eggs in, cover and finish cooking eggs. It doesn't use hot peppers.

shakshuka [sp?] is a different dish.

>t. John Green

>I have a baby palette

you dumb, dawg.

You real dumb.

Spicy eggs are great.

For breakfast, I frequently eat navy beans and eggs, cooked in some salsa, with a little hot sause and spinach cut up and mixed in at the end. Sometimes I grate in some cheese.

>you're moms a summerfag
>you're moms
>you are moms

Fucking idiot.....

>>>/reddit/

Stop putting yourself on a pedalstool, summerfags like you are a diamond dozen.

>I refuse to acknowledge differences in nutrient requirements throughout a day
nigga u dont want simple carbs in the evening

I'd end every night with bread and cheese if I could.

Apartheid: the food

sure kid but that doesnt mean that there isn't an optimal set of nutrients that is linked to the time of the day

eat burgers all day for all i care, doesnt mean its optimal

i can sea that your upset

That's why muslims have multiple wives.

It's just a yuppie meme. Some trendy brunch places started making it, and since brunch has been exactly the same thing for decades and decades, the brunch crowd got way over-hyped about it.

some rigorous broscience you got going on there

One of my favorite dishes. Pretty much the only way I will eat eggs. Only thing is it's not really good in a cast iron pan as the clean up is gay as aids. No matter what it WILL stick to your pan.

Breakfast = eggs

>cooking tomato based stuff in a cast iron pan
Triggered hard

I never heard of it before and I certainly wouldn't eat it for breakfast, but fuck does it look and sound delicious.

>tfw no breakfast wife, lunch wife, light supper wife, dinner wife, midnight snack wife, and in-between meals snack wives
Where did we go so wrong?
>having this many bitches under one roof
Nope.

You just don't know how to reheat steak. At my house we eat steak very rare. We're talking brown on each side and just warm enough in the middle for the red to start to firm up. When there's a leftover piece of that it goes in a zip lock bag and into the fridge.

A day or so later when we want to eat it we take it out and let it get to room temperature. Then we put a cast iron skillet on high, sear it briefly on each side and we're good to go.

you're not supposed to boil/simmer anything in cast iron, it removes the patina

You've never had a 'o 'a until you put eggs on it my man.

It's funny how many people, probably N. Americans, simply cannot fathom eating something different for breakfast.

because not everyone is a degenerate hedonist without culture, like you.

I can't unhear chef john saying shakshuka ._.

Kek

>not having different houses for each meal

no it doesn't