Silver Fish

My girlfriend brought some "Silver Fish" home recently and seemed excited about it. Absolutely no clue what they are/what they taste like/what to do with them. Can barely even find any stock photos of them on the googles as most searches revert to silverfish (earwigs).

Anyone have experience cooking them? Only thing I have to work with right now is that they are "really salty" and she said they usually cooked them in scrambled eggs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HFMVW71bDmQ
annabel-langbein.com/recipes/carols-whitebait-fritters/307
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aren't silverfish pest? Like, similar to roaches?

There's a local dish here where silverfish is cooked in coconut milk.

Aren't those tiny eels or something?

Seems like whitebait to me. They eat it in Japan with grated daikon and soy sauce.

yeah its the name for earwigs in the US. apparently this is a different thing entirely/nothing like it

cool yeah this seems to be some variation of whitebait. that will probably make recipe searching easier.

they kinda look like it but i think they are just really young fish

You could make the Larry David (I'm guessing white fish and silver fish are similar):

>A sandwich that was created for Larry in an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". It has white fish, sabel, capers, onions, and cream cheese. Larry tried trading it with Ted Danson for his sandwich

youtube.com/watch?v=HFMVW71bDmQ

whew i feel like my nose just grew 3 sizes watching that

can agree with them on capers sucking ass though

stir fry them in oil with fine chop onions, garlic and ginger. stir fry spinach. toss together put on hot rice and sprinkle bonito flakes and toasted sesame seed on top. very common eats..hot or cold

Earwigs live in soil and are black, silverfish live in old books and are silver.

i put them in ramen.

Earwigs and silverfish are two different things.

Treat them like whitebait, chinese style crispy fried

Looks like Whitebait. Salt, Panfry till crunchy, then use like Furikake on top of rice.

Just been to glorious Nippon, the way I saw them used several times was as a topping for rice. Not cooked any farther, as far as I could tell (though you might need to do something to frozen ones), just sprinkled on top like a seasoning. Pretty tasty.

Light dusting of cornflour, salt, pepper and smoked paprika then fry the fuck out of the fuckers until the are crispy. munch with aioli or some egg emulsion type sauce. shit went off at this wanky surf club where i used to work, plenty of old rich motherfuckers would scarf down bowls of these salty little beer sale boosters for hours.

Add them to your omelettes.

Very common here in NZ, this is the standard way to cook them in fritters, squeeze on some lemon juice and they're the absolute tits

annabel-langbein.com/recipes/carols-whitebait-fritters/307

looks like either elvers or whitebait, either way just dust them in flour, fry up and enjoy with a nice pint and some lemon juice.

>Imagining user's girlfriend bringing over a bowl of silverfish she found skittering around her bathroom.

Eugh dear god.

think ill try making some fritters tonight. ill put up some pictures later.

This thread is absolutely fucking disgusting.

They are very common in southern areas of Aus too. I remember my parents cooking them up regularly in a omelette/ fritter type thing. I was never a big fan of them though, far too salty for my liking.
Perhaps they could be used on pizza as a substitute for anchovies.

Dude, that's disgusting...

hey dude make some " whitebait fritters" google a recipe fuking great food man

Bump for interest

A ramen place I'd go to serves these, I think it's basically just the fish mixed with rice and avocado. Pretty tasty.

Ausfag here, there's a great little Italian place in Adelaide that does them pickled in white wine vinegar, a little oregano and chilli. It's fantastic. Because they're so fine you can basically spread them. Get on it

Where's that? I'm back in town from uni in Hobart next weekend.

My nigga with the whitebait patties