Japanese curry thread

let's discuss our love of japanese curry and perhaps share tips on how to improve the dish with special ingredients or brand recommendations

i'm planning on making beef japanese curry tomorrow, what cut of meat would be best? would it be better to replace the water with stock/beef bouillon?

anybody ever make it with bacon? i feel like that would either be a waste of bacon or be really tasty

Other urls found in this thread:

justonecookbook.com/japanese-beef-curry/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like tendon for my curry, look up cooking with dogs recipe
and broth to water conversion depends if your cubes or recipe are heavily salted or contain it already

I've always been a fan of Just One when it comes to Japanese dishes. justonecookbook.com/japanese-beef-curry/

However, this recipe seems to go far above and beyond how I normally prepare my curry. Has anyone ever made their Japanese curry with red wine/ginger/tomato paste? Does it taste noticeably better than without those ingredients?

Also I've never needed to skim the scum off my curry before.. What does scum do anyways in a dish?

whats the difference between nip and loo curry?

thanks

interesting ingredients in that recipe. would never have thought to make curry with a wine reduction

nip curry is prepared in a kitchen instead of a loo

beef stew meat is best. stock makes the dish better. but dont add strong flavors to the stock. beef onion is best. buy the curry in the block form.

if you have a korean store nearby theyre into these japan types of mellow yellow curries. "vermont curry" is pretty good. they mix in apple which you can do to any curry truthfully. Adds a nice sweet finish to the heat.

Bacon is already a strong smokey flavor, I would steer away from it truthfully.

poo in loo is tomato based and heavier on spics
jap curry is basically beef stew + curry powder over rice

sweeter and mellower in flavor

>tomato based
not really, usually just water or broth, maybe cream

best curry

whoops

I wouldn't add bouillon or bacon if you're using a storebought curry block. Go easy on the sodium. I usually make my own roux and just add whatever ingredients and spices I have around that fit in, like tomatoes, apple, worcestershire sauce and ketchup or tomato sauce, stock, etc.

I've never used wine, but I imagine it can't hurt. Japanese curry is basically a thick stew with spices. I use ginger, tomatoes, and ketchup fairly often when I make it. But I wouldn't add too many salty ingredients if you're using a storebought curry block. Don't want to overdo it on the sodium. Whether or not it'll taste good depends on what kind of flavors you want in your curry. Wine is unnecessary, but will make it more like a savory beef stew. Ginger adds, well, ginger flavor. You know what that's like. If you want to give it that aroma and the slightly sweet bite it adds, it's great. I always use it when I have some ginger hanging around. The tomato paste will add some tomato flavor, but I prefer to use fresh or diced tomatoes, then a little ketchup for some sweetness and vinegar. I usually prefer to use bacon for dishes that are savory but not all that sweet, and Japanese curry should be slightly sweet. But you do what you prefer. There are no rules.

>Also I've never needed to skim the scum off my curry before.. What does scum do anyways in a dish?
The "scum" is just bits of fat and protein floating to the surface. Some people claim it gives some slight "off" flavors, but I have never noticed much difference. The main reason to skim the scum is if you're making a soup or stock and you want it to be less cloudy. Since you're making curry, I'd say it's not necessary.

thanks you've given me a lot to think about. i think i'll get some garlic and ginger and beef stock for the curry.

i have this except in mild. i wish i could have found it in the spicy form. i think i'll add some crushed red cayenne peppers to my curry for an extra kick.

also forgot to ask what recipe do you use to make your own roux? how does it taste differently from curry blocks?

Well, the roux is just flour and butter, and I cook it until it's brown, but not as dark as you would for gumbo. Toward the end I add garam masala and let that cook a little with the roux. It's different because I'm probably using a different garam masala than what goes into the curry blocks, although each curry block is also different from each other. If you're doing it homemade, I'm told that S&B curry powder is probably the closest to what you'd find in Japan, but what the fuck do I know, I'm not Japanese. Also, I add my other sweet and savory ingredients into the pot rather than having it all dehydrated and condensed into a block.

The rest of the flavor comes from your vegetables/meat and the other shit you add to the pot. I use caramelized onions (when I can) and tomatoes/ketchup/apple/honey/carrots for sweetness. Ginger, garlic, onions (not caramelized), soy sauce and/or worcestershire for savory. And whatever vegetables I feel like adding.

>cooking with dogs
must be an asian video amirite???!?!!!!!!??

I want to try a curry, but live in a shitty area with only a Target and Walmart. Any brands that can make this salvageable?

I add black coffee, ketchup. Then maybe kraft parmesan cheese

at what point do you throw it in the trash

Some japanese add a raw egg into their curry. its really whatever you want to add to it. Some add sour cream or milk, cheese.

How do you make Japanese curry without cubes? Is it even worth it? I've tried googling it but the recipes are always how to cook with the cubes.

regular curry spices but with corn starch and some sugar.

Most japanese places that serve curry in North America use this.

also a lot of people are adding sushi meshi to their rice. It adds a bit of zip to the curry. Also Curry needs pickles. FUKUJINZUKE or Rakkyo. One of my fav places make the sauce almost like a bolognese with ground pork.

I prefer to make mine with some nice cut up tonkatsu on the side.

Coconut milk instead of water is a nice changeup.

You can also make a fluffy omelette.

Mmm oriental 'go'za makes me droop

Do anyone have a good recipe for curry roux from scratch?

Only the Japanese could take a rich and spicy dish and make it bland.

japanese curry can be spicy. i go to a japanese curry place for lunch sometimes and their daily specials are like 'spicy beef', 'spicy meatball', etc

>japanese curry can be spicy

Yeah but spicy to japoz, is just underseasoned to the rest of the world.

The only thing special about Japanese curry is all the MSG they put in it.

You'd do better making beef stew with curry powder out of a flyover grocery store.

im white

>Only the Japanese could take a rich and spicy dish and make it bland.
>japanese curry can be spicy

WHOOOOOOA . . .. . Are you guys serious?

You know the origins of Japanese curry right?

It's not meant to emulate the complexities of Thai or Indian curries and a very similar mix is used by British Fish and Chip shops for their curry sauce.

The beauty is the simplicity!

This isn't true at all though, you can get some pretty spicy stuff at least for the western palate in a Japanese curry shop.

Most good curry shops (almost everyone I've eaten in) will have a strength rating that you can adjust to preference, I'm British and like curry so I have a decent enough taste for spice and you easily reach past madras and maybe vindaloo levels in terms of spice, but also the strength of the flavour is stronger so it isn't just the spice hitting you. Further most good places will have a hot condiment you can mix in, sometimes curry based and almost all places will have chilli oil / sprinkle you can add in for extra heat.

Japanese food is pretty traditional but there are tonnes of great places in cities or specialty shops that will put their own twist on it (most Nip restaurants focus on one thing). The curry is versatile and I've had it with all kinds of meats, vegetable and stuff. I really like the mince variety and I really really like it with spinach.

Not that you can only eat Japanese curry in Japan there are a tonne of great curry houses in the country they are still in the old fashioned style from my experience, most UK curry houses are "contemporary" now but ones in Japan are more like the UK ones from 20 years ago. The food is pretty similar so I really like that also.

Is my favourite store bought one also.

Kantou != the entirety of Japan

I make golden curry with a fried panko breaded chicken cutlet occasionally.

Best item on all those jap curry places.

I had a level 4 at CoCo Curry after a night of heavy drinking in Roppongi. Almost shit myself. Too American for anything above 3.

Well they did learn how to make curries from the British

I hate japanese curry. That goop is overwhelming and tastes disgusting.

make your own roux

The woman that does the justonecookbook site has a recipe for one.

The blocks are just as good and less work

I assumed he didn't have access to buy them being that there is only a target and walmart by him.

Nip curry is blander, and less refined

Like every single other Nip dish stolen from a foreign country

I never really measured anything in my own recipe but this is what I do for my own Japanese curry recipe
Sear meat of your choice, I usually use the beef for stir fry that my Safeway has
Saute a couple cloves of minced garlic and half a grated onion in butter until almost caramelized and add maybe a teaspoon or two of tomato paste and a teaspoon of curry powder and cook until onion is totally caramelized then add a medium diced carrot, the other half of the onion chopped, and a medium diced potato, cook until onions are translucent and add enough beef broth to cover, simmer until potatoes are mostly cooked then add the beef back and chopped curry roux block, I like the Vermont brand, and cook until beef is cooked though and potatoes are soft. Serve over rice

I have not used bacon in making Japanese curry before but I have used bacon fat to cook the vegetables and meat for curry. It adds a little smokiness and a creamier texture. My husband swears he can taste it but its very light. I find using pork chops go really well in curry but the pork gets over done pretty quickly. I guess that's why curry is served with katsu...

The pickles are so great. Adds a lot of texture.

The place I go to stews their curry with beef for a long ass time until it completely disintegrates into the curry.

>tfw you can add anything into it
Lemme list what you can add:
Hamburger Steak 3.25
Chicken or Pork Cutlet 2.75
Fried Chicken 2.75
Fried Shrimp 2.75
Fried Squid (Calamari) 2.75
Croquette 2.75
Vegetables 2.25
Fried Cod Fish 2.75
Mini Sausage 2.75
Bacon and Egg 2.75
Omelet 2.75
Mozzarella Cheese 2.25
Spinach 2.25

I've never understood why curry is so popular in Japan where they love cleanliness. Curry leaves the nastiest fucking residues, shit doesn't ever get 100% off from utensils or containers.