BBQ Thread

BBQ Thread.
Post tips, tricks, recipes, set ups etc.

Just go to this place.

>go to store
> walk to freezer aisle
>put 5-10 in cart
>checkout
>have the greatest bbq of all time

Can we just use the thread to ask questions? Yes? Good!

I know how to barbecue/hot-smoke. I do it all the time. I also know how to cure meats. Do that all the time, too. Like, I cure sausages, steam them to cook them through then hot smoke for that delicious smoky taste.

However, what I don't know and can't quite figure out how to do is cold-smoke and I wanna make me some cold-smoked things.

If you read this and have experience on the subject, give me a step-by-step and answer a few more questions from me as they come up, please?

Also, my set up is simply a small barrel smoker with a firebox on the side. That's it. Nothing special.

What's a good thermometer? I want something digital that I can use for ambient temp and meat temp in my Weber.

>Low n slow

Start there and simplify.

>ambient temp and meat temp
Just to be clear, you want something with two probes?

I have a single probe one I bought at Aldi. It's wireless, sorta. The probe is plugged into a battery-operated transmitter and the receiver can be clipped to your belt so you can take it with you. It'll beep when the probe detects the right temp.

What's the easiest thing to NOT fuck up when smoking? I've been screwing around with my dad's since he never uses it, all I've made so far is pulled pork which seems fairly easy. It was really good but not significantly better than just slow cooking it in the oven at low temp

If you have a shitload of time, brisket.

How much do smokers cost? I tried to do the smoking thing with my barbecue but it didn't really work. . .

see to me brisket seems like it takes a lot of knowledge to do right

depends on what kind you want. Electric smokers can start at about $150 for a decent one, I don't know as much about wood fired ones

Yeah, I would say that a pork butt is probably harder to muck up.

For ambient temp we just use the ones that are in our Big Green Egg or the Jack's Old South if we're using that. Internal though, we use a Thermoworks Type-K Thermocouple w/ stainless so we can leave it in the whole cook

i was in home depot today and they had an electric one that they're dropping in price to $62. i was very tempted but have no room in my apartment

How long would I need to smoke two racks or ribs? 4lbs of Baby Backs and 5lbs of Spare ribs

On my smoker we have a small firebox on the outside which blows smoke in, to cold smoke I just turn that on and no other heat sources, bingo cold smoking.

Try connect your firebox to your smoker through a bit of piping so the smokes going through without too much heat involved, easy cold smoking.

>followed by the most catastrophic diahhrea of all time

How to set charcoal to medium heat? Should I buy a infrared thermometer?

undercooked

After reading that, I just came to the sudden understanding that cold-smoking is as simple as opening the flue partially rather than completely... and using fewer coals.
Fuck me, I'm dumb.

Thanks for the input.
Well, cured-and-smoked poultry skins, here I come!

>that ingredient list on the side

jesus christ