Regional foods thread

Post regional foods from your country. Give a short description of its qualities, location and origins if you know them, and rate it if you have had it.

This is the Chopped Cheese. It comes from the Bronx in NYC. You can also find it sometimes in Queens or Brooklyn, but it is rare south of 96th street. It is different depending on where you go, but they all are served on a bun of some sorts and are ground meat with cheese melted over it. I like ones with lettuce and tomato and mayo. It's like a philly cheesesteak but cheaper to make and for the hood that matters. 5/10 not that great but for the price it does the job

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LBQ2305fLeA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wisconsin cheese curds are a fresh cheese that noticeably "squeak" against your teeth when you eat them. Just straight up they kinda suck but when battered and deep fried and served with some sort of ranch or garlic sauce you may cream your pants

I had never heard of boiled peanuts until I saw some in a gas station in Georgia. They taste different this way I don't know why. I would rather have them roasted but they are slightly easier to eat which probably is why they are a popular roadside snack

Careful, you'll trigger him.

This is the Horseshoe Sandwich from Springfield, IL, home of the second worst state government after Michigan. Toast, two burger patties, chicken fingers, ham, or basically whatever you want as meat, covered in fries and mornay sauce. It is ok but you can't eat it every day. I like the ones with tendies

I'm part of the WIDF though it would be hard to do that to myself

The Jucy Lucy is from Minneapolis. The cheese goes inside the meat. It is noticeably juicier but not worth going to minnesota for

Squeaky curds are awful. Straight cheddar curds are best.

Matt's is best. Cheap food and cheap beer.

i guess

City Chicken is pork cooked on a skewer. It may be battered, dredged in flour, deep fried, pan fried or oven fried depending on where you are. It is popular in the eastern great lakes region and is a carryover from the depression when pork was cheaper than chicken. It is working class shit and for me depends entirely on the sauce

meme note: you can get this in Canada they serve it with gravy

where the fuck are all the euros?

This is popular in Nuremberg - three in a bun. You must grill it to get the outsides crispy. They are pork sausages seasoned with garlic, peppercorns and marjoram. It will make you fat but it's GOAT

there seems to be some autism about what a Coney Dog is. This is from flint, mi and is p good. Make sure you wash it down with some poisoned water from your tap

I'm in the midwest, where do I find the Mexican to shit on it before I add the onions?

look at the wiki article for this it is so stupid

Cincinnati tops theirs with sweet chili and finely shredded cheddar cheese. I like them but I am also realistic about how trashy it is to eat at skyline

There are mexicans all over the midwest. It's not hard.

Mexibros are everywhere now. They even have them in Iowa

Deep fried beef ravioli with marinara sauce is from St Louis and is the best thing about that place after Nelly. in the East coast they like the cheese ravioli version

Cincinnati chili has a heavy eastern mediterranean influence due to the greek immigrants. As such their chili more closely resembles the filling for moussaka, having sweeter spices like nutmeg, cocoa, and allspice added. I make it at home because all those places overcook the noodles like it's the 50s

Goetta is another cinci dish, spills a bit over into Kentucky where they sell the cheap cigarettes. It's pork sausage mixed with oatmeal. Of german origin, it is peasant food. It is nice to have sliced and fried for breakfast with some eggs

Go to any construction site.

Your nearest orchard, produce farm or home depot.

If you want to start a fight in Tampa, FL, say they make cuban sandwiches better in Miami

pork, ham, pickles, cheese, mustard, buttered and grilled in a panini press

Like Cuban sandwiches you can find Oysters Rockefeller everywhere now but they started in new orleans. butter, parsley, breadcumbs, broiled. Very good but I tend to not get them if I am in a place that can source good seafood

Kentucky Hot Brown. Like Welsh rarebit but with turkey and bacon, sometimes a tomato on top, it is also more frequently the butt of jokes. that's mornay sauce btw

White clam apizza from the New Haven area

is it any good?

Garbage plate, Rochester NY, named the least healthy thing in the state

pork roll is popular in New Jersey. Fried with cheese and egg on a roll is a common breakfast item, putting a slice on a burger makes it a Jersey burger.

its like why would i ever eat that?

maybe if i fasted for days or something

hhhhnnnnnggggggg

you are a drunk RIT student and you need food

Welcome to the upper midwest here is your complementary hotdish and weird accent

Maybe not regional, but teriyaki is pretty ubiquitous in Seattle.

cedar plank salmon

While I disagree with your point about fresh curds (I like them), beer battered ones are amazing. Whenever I have friends from out of state visit I always make them have some and they fall in love

nah mate

'go style 'za

Steak and Kidney pudding. The only thing I'd genuinely miss if I had to move.

It's just a Steak and Kidney pie but with suet pastry.

100x better than a regular pie

>Marionberry Pie not Washington DC

Frankly I think the Dog is more common

I think this was made by a meme website because I've heard of the chili half smoke being a thing

Beef on weck is a western NY thing. It's just a roast beef sandwich with a roll topped in salt and spices not really a big deal 4/10

Chopped cheese is also a super very NY regional thing.

I don't know if italian beef sandwiches are only a chicago thing mainly but italian beef sandwiches are literal GOAT

I saw one in Chelsea for 6 dollars I was disgusted ate it anyways tho

Election cake is a northwest thing, particularly in new hampshire and connecticut. It's like a spiced cake you find in real england. They eat it in november and whenever the NH primaries are

This salad dressing is from st louis and has onions and i think one other thing that differ it from caesar salad

Whoever made that infographic has clearly never been to all of the different states.

>Nebraska is Kansas

Here is something you will find in flyovers, I think it is from texas but you can get it in iowa.

chips chili cheese sour cream jalapenos other shit. they call em walking tacos p good desu

someone points this out every time I should just manually change it at this point

Singapore chili crab is based, it has an egg in it

The teriyaki in Seattle is really different from other places. I don't know how to explain it.

try you fuck

Western Mass chow mein sandwich

It is terrible as an idea but chow mein is decent and bread is good so it is ok in practice just stupid

chopped cheese is nasty
some habibi's faux cheesesteak made out of grease trapping is fucking rancid food for poor people

this is why you'll only find it in the bronx and north of 96th street in delis with the name "gourmet" in them

>It is noticeably juicier
but is it noticeably lucier?

It's just something you have to try. It's the quintessential lunch food in Seattle.

'Go 'g

to start you could describe the basic differences it has with regular teriyaki. is it more sour? less sweet? more umami? less salty?

like try to put in some effort here, it's not hard to talk about how food tastes

fuck off

This is what black people eat. It is good but it makes you fat pretty quick

It varies from place to place, but I've found it's less sweet and has a lot more different flavors in it. More garlic, ginger, and black pepper. Very different from the teriyaki I've had in other states where the teriyaki sauce was just either soy sauce and sugar or soy sauce and brown sugar.

kek the way my mom makes teriyaki is by dissolving sugar in soya

This is only made in NOLA at one restaurant. that garnish is 5 pepper jelly and very good

it's literally from one restaurant, real dc food is whatever you find in your car when you're stuck in traffic

Which restaurant? Is that Atchafalya?

weiner circle is an iconic place in chicago, idk why that cant be a thing

I think the commander or the commodore, p sure it is in the garden district

Quebec - Canada : Poutine, a simple dish of fries topped with cheese curds and covered in gravy. There are dozens of versions, some insanely good, some too wierd, but its a classic.

popular in new england and washington i have been told, made with different clams

can find it everywhere but it aint as good

Wow it's knockoff scrapple.

I live pretty near Minneapolis and had one once.
Shits fuckin' dank.

scrapple is more livery and offal, goetta is a superior product

2 Detroit Sytle Coney Island hot dogs

hot dog with with kin
chili (more a roux in some places)
yellow salad mustard
white onions

damn, they is just good
go to Lafayette if visiting

Lefse - Scandinavia - Though lefse comes from Scandinavia, it is often made in Minnesota around holidays due to a lot of Scandinavian background. Flat bread rolled up with some stuff on it like butter usually, sounds plain but is real good.

I eat that shit all the time

t. minnesota

I wish I could try it, but seafood tastes awful to me (most of it). As someone who loves to eat, I'm sad that such a large and interesting portion of the culinary world is barred to me because I find that it tastes like satan.

Commanders Palace senpai.

>stacks of cheese sitting out next to shitting horse asses

Mmm Mmm Good.

that is weird, what does it taste like?

ty user-sama

>dutch """""food""""

ok

Gotta agree. The only people I see eat these are hood af black people. Just get a fucking cheese steak. This "chopped cheese" Isnt NY its straight up trash.

youtube.com/watch?v=LBQ2305fLeA

>crayfish etouffee

No one says that you fuck.

and it's not a "New Orleans" dish either.

who cares?
it's literally slang for the same thing but 1 letter off
if you go to louisiana and ask for crayfish, you'll get what you're looking for

I dunno for sure but I think the only thing Arkansas can really claim is chocolate gravy

Fuck my state

People on this board get so upset about Louisiana cuisine..

Its fucking hilarous. It's as if it is the only thing they have going for them in meemaws basement is that they have some bullshit heritage that their pappy taught them to be proud of.

Guess what? The entire world has adopted your cuisine and it isn't "yours" anymore. There is no right way to do it and no one cares about your opinion.

lols, get rekt.

Yes but we'll laugh at u

The only thing that would make it more Cleveland would be if you slapped a pierogi on it.

gas station boiled peanuts are usually not that great, like most gas station food.

when you see a guy on the street corner with a big pot and a sign saying BOILED PEANUTS, that's when you get something worth your money.

south GA fag here. i grew up picking peanuts. we actually have a peanut festival every year. fuck peaches, georgia is peanut country!

UC grad here. I agree totally. Goetta is underrated and hard to find outside of Cincy or German enclaves in the US

I live in Texas and we call those Frito Pies. Usually just chili in a bag of fritos, nothing special(although weird) and we don't take them too seriously

Cocido madrileño - Madrid

Chickpea-based stew with pork belly, fresh chorizo; onion morcilla, dried and cured serrano ham, beef shank, chicken, potatoes, cabbage and carrots.

The first course is a noodles soup made with the cocido stock, the second course is the chickpeas with the vegetables and meat.

Croquetas

This is not typical from a specific region but it's usually made out of the leftovers (mostly meat) from dishes like the one I mentioned before

Makes for excellent tapas and it's easy to make, 10/10

Callos a la madrileña - Madrid

Beef tripe stew, I've never tried it

I hate chickpeas but I would eat the shit out of that

I'll be in Madrid in a few weeks, any more recommendations, specifically lunch?

Forgot the horseradish man, that's the best part.

I'm from Buffalo so ckicken wings, without a doubt. Not exactly unique to the reigion, but this is the only place you can get a wing that isn't shit. Not gonna put an image because you all know what a chicken wing is.

Chlebíčky

Czech republic.

Little sandwich things usually with mayonaise, ham, and cheese.

from Prague specifically.

our beer is better.

>our beer is better.
There's nothing wrong with chlebíčky. They're good as fuck, especially with that potato salad.

what's the name of those bready dumplings that seem to accompany every meal?

You can get decent pork ribs anywhere and Carolina faggots will disagree with me but the best bbq pork ribs are in Tennessee

i'd eat pretty much everything in this thread