Kawell in the Kitchen: Pesto Tagliatelle with Red Cabbage Soup

Happy Thursday folks. Tonight is going to be sort of experimental. I was thinking of what to cook the other day and this idea crossed my mind, so we're going to get our hands a little dirty and see how it comes out. The cabbage soup in this particular use is going to be incorporated into the dish as an accompanying sauce for the pesto tagliatelle, and when all is done and said we should have something vibrant in color and taste.

Posting live from the kitchen.

Other urls found in this thread:

saveur.com/article/Travels/Vegas-Lotus-of-Siam-Restaurant
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Beverage of choice tonight will be some cheap, dirty whiskey that only does one thing right: getting me drunk; Black Velvet.

What are your beverage options tonight, friendo?

GTFO kawell, your threads suck.

Limited. Very, very limited.

First thing we're going to handle is the Roma tomatoes. These are going to take the longest to work on. Gonna get them deseeded, cut up and put in the oven on 200F. We're only looking to use the meat as an additional sweetness for the pasta.

you're a gay little bitch never post here again

cocksucker

You're the same guy from the goza thread.
Kawell is based, a good cook and regularly posts decent content.
Perhaps you should go, shitposter.

This content sucks

Easy enough to do. Tops cut off, scores in half then scrape it out with a spoon.

stop trying to post as an user samfaggin the shit out of your thread... Kawell

Light salting on a cooking rack then in they go until they dry and shrivel out a little. When done we're going to dice them up and add them to the pesto when we get to that point.

Tomatoes are in so we're going to get started on the cabbage soup base. Dice everything small. We're going to end up blending everything up with an immersion blender so shape doesn't really matter, we just want it all to cook down into the base. Potatoes going to end up getting peeled too; try and keep the soup a very smooth consistency.

Almost forgot my shallots.
Get them nice and diced up too.

leave this board. do not post here.

ahahahahahahahahahah!

We're going to sweat these up in our pot with a little olive oil while we get our red cabbage cut up. No need to season at the point, wait till after you blend it all up and reduce to thicken of needed. We got those starchy russet potatoes so I don't think we'll need to reduce much if at all. Should be an alright consistency.

I don't know this tripfag. Why are people(?) shitposting in an OC thread on Veeky Forums?

Pour is that drink and get started on the cabbage. Think we may use the entire head since it's pretty small.

If you guys didn't know, the core of the cabbage is thought to be the best part. It has a subtle sweetness to it that a lot of people like eating. Just go ahead and cut it out then enjoy your little treat.

youre never going to see the finished product user

He stops halfway through?

Haha, once. In the homemade jerky thread. I was drunk and passed out while it was in the oven. Did wake up to perfectly cooked jerky though so not a total loss.

Well stick with half, it's quite a bit.

Veggies are sweated up good. We're going to add about 4 cups of our homemade chicken stock from a few threads back and then the cabbage, then just let it go to work until everything breaks up and dissolves.

you can't use red cabbage and potato base, you'll end up with faggot pink soup.....wait

>kawell

never mind carry on, faggot.

Alright soups on, lid covered, and we're going to let it do its thing.
It's going to take over an hour to cook so we have a couple thing we could work on.

We could make the pesto sauce (won't take long to make, very easy)
We could make fresh pasta dough (I had a frozen ball left over from our oxtail pappardelle thread I was going to use, but we could always make more)

What do you guys think?

Yo Kawell - looks good tonight!

Unrelated: have you ever made tamarind pasted from whole tamarind pods?

That's my project tonight - seems straightforward - soak, press though sieve, use for cooking...

Guess we'll find out! I made something similar to this base once and it came out a very dark purple. Guessing this time will be the same so I also got us some mascarpone to put in it--to both make a creamy texture and brighten the color slightly.

full tilt homie, go full tilt

could you make a noose with enough rope to hold your body weight?

I can safely say I have not, but you have my interest. Post how it goes man, I'm curious and still looking for something for the weekend thread.

will do - gonna try and replicate pad thai from my favorite thai place here in las vegas

Full tilt it is. Let me gather the pasta makings and we'll have at it.

What place? I got family in Vegas so it's a second home to me. Could use another place to eat.

1 cup AP flour
1 cup semolina flour
3 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil

saveur.com/article/Travels/Vegas-Lotus-of-Siam-Restaurant

about 10 years ago gourmet magazine claimed it was the best thai in the good ole usa - this old lady from the north of thailand throws it down - no joke

I'll add it to my google map later and hit it the next time I'm over, thanks for the recommendation.

Knead for about 5 minutes or until it smooths out.

Cover with wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.

Guess we can prep the basil to kill time. My little basil in the garden aren't large enough to harvest yet, but I saw this guy in the store today and thought it would be a great addition. I'll transplant it to a pot this weekend, but right now we're going to prune a good deal of these leaves off for the pesto.

How's the garden?

Whenever I try to replant those guys from the grocery store they never take. I know they spray potatoes and ginger with chemicals to keep them from sprouting on the grocery store shelf so maybe it`s something like that

That I did not know.

Coming along. Bibb lettuce getting bigger every day. Beans growing like crazy. Basil starting to grow its third set of leaves. Think I'm going to do a lot of work out here this weekend; transplant a lot of these guys into bigger pots and find a place for them.

nice work

That sucks dude. I've had great success with replanting. Have an older chive that's been going for around 2 months now, and the mint I got a few weeks back is strong as ever.

Here's my little basil getting too big for their britches. In need of larger accommodations.

Tomato is about ready for its upside down planter too. So much to do this weekend.

Looks like you live in the most dull, soulless place ever

I've seen Minecraft houses built by 12 year olds with more charm and character

Radishes have a wilting problem I'm trying to troubleshoot.
Super behind on thinning my carrots also.

Please continue and ignore the trolls

Fresh pasta is a fucking meme. This coming from every single Italian I've ever consulted. I like it enough to order it a restaurant that makes their own, but not enough to go to the hassle of making it every bloody time I want to have pasta. FFS

That's the plan. I'm not too worried about it, part of the culture.

Not as much of a hassle as you think. If you make it enough times it gets stupid easy. Making fresh pasta to me is second nature now. Just another step in the process of cooking a meal, doesn't even feel like work.

Here's the basil all trimmed up. Should have enough for a good pesto.

>haha dude you live in a house!
Top tier banter m8.

Soups looking nearly ready for blending. Going to let it go another 30 minutes while we work on rolling and cutting our pasta up. Tomatoes looked a little under still so I cranked the oven from 200F to 250F.

We're going to slice the pasta up into 4 quarters. End up freezing 3 for later on and using 1 portion for our pasta tonight. Dough is good for at least a month or two in the freezer and it's always nice to have some ready for you. Takes like 20 minutes to thaw at room temp.

Once you get your dough rolled out to about this size you want to fold it over and roll it out again. Repeat two more times. It helps stack the gluten making a stronger pasta so you can roll the finished product out nice and thin.

Looks like the dump I just took

Did OP get that shit from Sprouts?

Didn't want to make the trip today, went to Ralphs instead.

Here's our pasta sheet all laid out ready to be cut.

That pasta dough has a highly suspect level of hydration.

please make pappardelle instead of retarded tagliatelle

GODAMMIT...your triggering my OCD with those corners, fucking fix NAO.

Too late man, were already cut and ready to go. Gonna set the pasta aside and we can start blending up the soup and seasoning it.

Here comes the new toy!

that's wetter than your mom's vajayjay was last night.

wew lad it's a dildo

Vibrates like one too.

Blended up. Now well season with salt, pepper, powered thyme and mascarpone cheese.

Alright we're almost done guys

Going to get the water ready for the pasta and we'll make the pesto sauce in the mean time.

Cool thing about this immersion blender, it comes with a food processor attachment.

Very easy pesto.

Garlic
Pine nuts
Parmesan
Basil
Olive oil

Salt and pepper after blended to taste

Tastes really good

I could put one of those to use.

I have one slightly better quality than yours with similar attachments. Love it. But why are you putting mascarpone into your soup? It seems like something you'd add in at the end to a bowl of it, not the entire pot...

Next time blanch the basil and then shock it. Like, 15-20 seconds in the hot water. It will keep the pesto looking fresher/greener for longer than even citric acid would.

Yeah I've been needing a new food processor for a while so this was a no brainier for $25

Simply to add creaminess. I could have otherwise use actual cream, but I was also worried about the consistency of the end product. Mascarpone is basically cream cheese so I knew it would help thicken it up a little. I agree it being an odd addition, but cheese was going to get added one way or the other. As good as this tastes, and the purpose I had intended for it tonight, it'll probably end up as a pasta sauce for the next few days if anything as opposed to being eaten as soup.

I'd prefer the tomatoes to be a little more dried out, but these will work. Well get them diced up and the pasta into the water. Probably be playing in the next 15-20 minutes.

I'll take the tip and put it in my bag, sounds like a good one.

Pasta cooking away.

Let me show you guys a cool presentation tip with this cabbage soup while we wait.

The soup changes color when acids are added to it, like lemon for instance.

Here's the before.

And the after.

Pastas done, let's strain and plate!

yeah I only have a giant one - a lot to clean up - a small seems handy

fucking pink goo, I told you faggot.

Show us on the doll where !kawell touched you

And here's the end result.

As far as tonight went, it wasn't too bad. Tastes great. If I were to change stuff it would have been to find a way to keep the cabbage more dark purple. Last time I made red cabbage soup it was much darker so I thought those results would roll over and they didn't. More or less though it's what I had imagined.

It was a fun night to experiment. Learned some things I could use down the line and got some good tips from you guys in the thread. Definitely some take away.

Thanks for tuning in guys. I'll be back this weekend with something more fine tuned as we go back to our normal broadcast schedule.

i'd eat that

Pink slime, soggy noodles and fake pesto; don't ever post here again.

also, even given the shit you were working with your presentation sucks.

wouldnotfeedtodog/10

I do agree that we need some texture here.

And that's how you learn buddy, by trying.

love these threads, m8 - don't listen to these faggots posting shit - keep posting these recipes! they're fun to cook along with.

And what did you bring to the board today? A bunch of stipulating that's what.

Stipulating. Fuck you autocorrect.

Shitposting. That's what you brought.

I'm just glad Kawell doesn't get rustled by the trolls, it would be a shame to not get decent regular OC from him, or the kitty cook.

Did this guy fuck your imaginary girlfriend?

While I applaud Kawell's perseverance and the effort he put into making this, Kitty cook is much better. (even though he puts his cat on the counter)

Kawell, m8 I think you're cool for taking the effort to make a cook-along thread and for actually cooking with real raw ingredients unlike many Americans on this board who enjoy mixing store-bought stuff and calling it a recipe, but seriously, this looks pretty grim.

Haha I know, that's why I prefaced this thread with "expiramental", because it was something I never tried and had absolutely no idea of the end result. This weekend we'll get down with a better dish. Not sure what yet, but it'll be numerous times better than this.

Carry on my wayward son.

I'm thinking comfort food this weekend. Mac n cheese, chicken pot pie, etc.

Anyone want to see something specific cooked?

Fried chicken and waffles, provided that you have the equipment.

Chicken pot pie would be great

Veeky Forums isn't your fucking blog, take this shit to reddit where it belongs

>bitching about OC

youre on the wrong board