General Opinion on Boar's Head Products

So my local grocery store just started carrying nothing but Boar's Head products in their deli. All the meats, all the cheeses that I used to get are now gone and replaced with it. With it, the prices on everything have gone up as well. Today they had a sampling table and a sales rep there sampling a majority of the products and explaining the jump in cost being due to the "quality of the product" giving a whole marketing jargon thing about no GMO and gluten free and all that.

Just wondering what everyone thinks. I tried some of the stuff, and it did all seem good. But damn the price jump just seems outrageous

Other urls found in this thread:

gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions/bans.html
youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've always thought they were a step up from the cheaper stuff in the deli.

Boar's Head products are pretty good. But their business practices are really fucked up. I'll never say no to them, but I try to avoid establishments owned by Boar's Head (and they DO own you) when I can.

>But their business practices are really fucked up
Care to expand on that?

This. It's still crap, but it's a better grade of crap than many other brands.
They push really hard for exclusivity. If their products are in your deli case they want to be the only brand there.

>gluten free meat
so long have I been waiting for this

>exclusivity

I've actually never compared generic deli prices to Boar's Head because BH is always the only one in the case. No browsing, you just get what you get.

Their products are pretty okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy BH though

>Just wondering what everyone thinks. I tried some of the stuff, and it did all seem good. But damn the price jump just seems outrageous
To me, it's only slightly more expensive than making something yourself. In my opinion if you want crap quality deli meats, you are getting some more offal in there with your "ham product". If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

There are a few flavors of Boars Head that seem pretty unique and craveable. I get the sausalito chicken or mesquite turkey most of the time, jerk chicken, rosemary ham, and the new pepponero garlic ham has scotch bonnet and lemongrass flavors, which in a wrap with cream cheese and cukes is my favorite summer picnic thing, makes me think of thai style sausage. Their "Marblue" sliced blue cheese makes a terrific roast beef sandwich. I'd say buy what makes it worth it to you by price, say for the pastrami, cured salami or premium hams, and ignore things basic you can get well everywhere else, or pull off your own rotisserie.

Boar's head prices are nearly double and their product is only moderately better.

That is how things tend to work. There is rarely a linear relationship between price and quality when it comes to any consumer good. Price is set by the expectation of what the consumer will pay. The person looking for the cheapest shit obviously gives no fucks about quality. The person looking for something better can obviously afford more, or they'd be buying the cheap shit. And the person looking for the best is almost always a price insensitive customer, so you can charge them practically anything.

At least their capicolla is a significant step up from the deli brand.

It's better than most of the "house brands" but it's still shit compared to what you'd get at a proper deli.

What's funny is that if you bother to look around you can find really good deli meats for much less than Boar's head. For example, I recently bought a whole country ham from Benton's. Cost me $71 and the weight was 15.1 lbs. that's less than $5/lb.

There are great deals out there if you're willing to pass on convenience. Most folks aren't.

Not much is more convenient than ordering online and having world-class ham dropped off at your doorstep a few days later. I don't even have to leave the house.

What does world-class ham taste like?

The Bose of lunch meat.

Better than cheap shit brands, but nothing special.

For $6 I can get a pound of Turkey Breast cooked and slice that day so I never bother

Fucking amazing, that's what. Ever compared proscuitto to normal supermarket ham? Take that up a level.

That's true. If you want the good stuff in a convenient manner you're dropping cash like a price insensitive customer. Which is fine if you have that kind of cash to blow. That's the reason specialty shops and fine dining restaurants exist.

Most of it is great but too pricey. I would only buy it when I worked at a bakery and got it all at half price.

Overrated.

Better than D&W though.

They are top tier as far as grocery store deli meat goes

>no GMO and gluten free
Boars head is good quality, but fuck this shit. Its fucking meat, of course there is no gluten in it and there are no GMO livestock yet, and neither of these things are even bad for normal people

It's ok but nothing amazing

>Boar's head prices are nearly double
Only if you were buying really fucking bad stuff before

Maybe they mean their animals don't feed on GMO corn? Still a BS claim that doesn't mean much

the difference is boars head turkey contains no added nitrate

the supermarket turkey has added nitrate

sodium nitrate is a preservative that arguably does dna damage to your cells

yep, thats a thing, but does not excuse them for helping the ridiculous anti-GMO/gluten mythology persist

there have been rat studies showing gmo corn can mutate and cause cancer in rats

its completely banned in most countries around the world

do what you want but if i want to eat corn chips its organic everytime i dont mind the extra 1$

>here have been rat studies showing gmo corn can mutate and cause cancer in rats
No there have not, this is a completely fake and entirely implausible
>its completely banned in most countries around the world
This is false, its only banned in a small handful of countries, an those for economic protectionism (keeping the american company out to help the local distributor that pays off the politician). There are literally zero countries that have banned GMOs at the behest of scientists or doctors or for human health considerations

actually it is for health concerns most of the time

and its pervasive around the world

America has lobbyists for monsanto in washington that own the FDA thats why we dont even label ours

gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions/bans.html

Free market does, commie

>America has lobbyists for monsanto in washington
They also have scientists who overwhelming say that GMOs are safe and useful. Any country that has banned GMOs have done it in direct opposition to what the academic and health communities have said in favor of lobbyists trying to get American companies out of the market to restrict competition and fuck over consumers. Don't try and turn it around and act like they only aren't banned in America because of lobbyists when the entire educated community agrees they should not be banned

The free market says you can say dumb things like GMOs are bad, and the public should ridicule you for them, thats exactly what is going on, no commies involved

>America has lobbyists for monsanto in washington that own the FDA thats why we dont even label ours
No, we do not label them because there is no logical reason to label them, especially not for the government to mandate labels

I don't know about that study being totally fake and entirely implausible

I always tough the issues was they used a species of lab rats that were very prone to developing tumors. Also its not ideal for rats to eat only corn which could have caused the tumors more than the fact that they were GMO

hello mosanto shill. Protip : proper research take 30-40 years and must be done by independent labs, witch so far never happened.

You're essentially arguing censorship. Not just ridicule, comrade

>I always tough the issues was they used a species of lab rats that were very prone to developing tumors
Well yeah. He used a strain of rats that spontaneously grow tumors and then publicize photos of the tumors with scary headlines. He did the whole hoax to sell books or something like that. The study was retracted once actual scientists analyzed it and is universally not taken seriously

more like public outcry from folk knowledge of "SCIENCE IS BAD" got these cucked ass countries to label shit but there is literally nothing out there that proves GMO's are bad with exception to some of the side effects it has on the industry and environment

ingesting GMOs is perfectly safe though and we have been fucking with plant genetics for many many years before such a term was ever coined

No, I am saying they should stop saying blatantly false things and spreading myths. Not that the government should forcibly stop them from doing it. These are very different things

>proper research take 30-40
LOL
So no new products or technology should be allowed to enter the market for 40 fucking years?

No one is saying any blatantly false things or spreading myths, you're the only one making that implication

>Not that the government should forcibly stop it

But that's exactly what you want

Is this a serious post?

If you advertise your product as GMO-free, you are actively working to spread the myth that GMOs are somehow magically harmful despite all medical and scientific evidence

>But that's exactly what you want
How did you possibly take me saying "they shouldn't do this, it makes m lose respect for them" to "the government has to stop them!!!" How did you even think I implied that I was advocating for government intervention?

Please watch. They are infact harmful and all the studies that are pro GMO safety are funded by the very same big agriculture businesses...

Seeds of Death: Unveiling The Lies of GMO's - Full Movie
youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ

>you are actively working to spread the myth

No, you're not. All you're doing is stating the fact that there are no GMOs present in that product.

If you want to blame someone, blame the idiot consumers who draw conclusions beyond the facts actually stated.

Yeah, you know way more than scientists. Some mid size mildly influential company like Monsanto has paid off all research in the world. That totally makes sense

>you're dropping cash like a price insensitive customer.

Not in this case. It's actually cheaper than the store brand, and about half the price of Boar's head.

average scientists coming out of college dont have money to start up a lab and their own private research firm

they get hired by companies to do the studies which are set up to be biased to make them look good

stop thinking the world is perfectly transparent... its ruled by big money

the internet has helped to expand human consciousness however and thats the only reason why some people are even AWARE that GMOS are a thing! You can go outside right now and most people wont even know what a gmo is even with the internet

>All you're doing is stating the fact that there are no GMOs present in that product.
The fact that they are stating it perpetuates the myth that that is useful information to have (and also rather ridiculous considering there are no commercially available GMO livestock)
> blame the idiot consumers
Yeah, it is their fault too, people who believe that are the fucking worst, but that doesn't let shitty marketing people off the hook for spreading anti-science myths

Its no different than the companies rewriting science textbooks to act as though creationism or intelligent design are viable alternatives to evolution. Sure you can blame it on the fact that there are dumb people who want them to makes such books, but that does not take the company off the hook

So you think Monsanto has paid off the entire university system in America and abroad?

It may be somewhat plausible to assert that they cooked their own internal research (though almost certainly false), but its just makes you sound fucking dumb to assert that they have bought out all scientists and even crazier their rivals' research

There have been a very large number of well designed studies trying to find any negative effects of GMOs, none have been found. Its not a god damned conspiracy, and it is utterly insane to think that all evidence is just wrong with nothing at all to support your view

>The fact that they are stating it perpetuates the myth that that is useful information to have

So it's just like "fat free", "low sodium", "no cholesterol", and "no sugar added"?

>> (and also rather ridiculous considering there are no commercially available GMO livestock)

Ah, but a great deal of processed deli meats contain additives and fillers, some of which come from crops.

>arguably

No.

This is fluoride tier conspiracy shit. It's like marketing your products as having no chemtrails.

>you are actively working to spread the myth that GMOs are somehow magically harmful

You're the only one remotely making that implication, retard

>How did you possibly take

Because I'm not a fucking retard and understand human linguistics. You know exactly what you're implying and what you want. Stop playing this semantic bullshit

>So it's just like "fat free", "low sodium", "no cholesterol", and "no sugar added"?
yep, pretty similar. Whats your point?

nah its all really good stuff. I remember on cut throat kitchen one of the sabotages for a turkey dinner was one of the people had to give up their fresh turkey and use a boars head turkey.

pretty terrible sabotage because the judge said the boars head turkey was the most flavorful and well cooked of them all

Are you just confused, or making things up?

>Whats your point?

I didn't have one. I was asking you a question to determine if I understood your position or not. That's why my sentence ended with a question mark and not some other form of punctuation.

No i think that people dont give a shit about their health and slam down processed food all day anyways they know its engineered and are accepting it

and then the studies that do exist are created by the very same businesses with a vested interest in sustaining their business

its not rocket sciene or a "conspiracy" that they want to make money

if people avoid GMO's like the plague like I do, then they dont sell crop

organic farming is becoming so huge just because people are waking up and thats what they demand

why would i want my corn altered with outside of the proper context that nature does it or selective breeding which is still natural and safe

So you are saying that points cannot be made with questions? Seems like a pretty ridiculous stance

>pretty similar

Dietary cholesterol is literally verifiable without a doubt bad for you

Seems like you're just pushing an agenda

>and then the studies that do exist are created by the very same businesses with a vested interest in sustaining their business
There is a vast wealth of studies by independent universities

Poor poor damage control

No, I'm saying that I did not intend to make a point. Where did I say anything about people or points in general?

You seem to be prone to drawing conclusions that aren't there; that's my observation.

there is no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol

Lol yeah, Organic farming is totally not a big business, its just little farmer guys who don't want to make any money!!
>why would i want my corn altered with outside of the proper context that nature does it or selective breeding which is still natural and safe
This cannot be a serious statement, right? First of all nature is bad, it is generally trying to kill you, second of all, how the fuck is selective breeding natural

theres vast wealths of studies contrary
well not really too vast because non-gmo people dont have multi billion dollar corporation/univerrsity support

and yes they do control whats in the textbooks that the professors use which then teach to the students...

youve got to understand the context of this world. the more monopolized the media and the universities and the education and even the food corporations the less freedom and transparency

you wish and believe that there were 3rd party auditors for everything but the reality is that you need an auditor for the auditor

Sorry, that's just not true, evident since 1976

I'm pretty sure you're just a master baiter, but if not...

>literally first line in the "movie" is factually wrong as he defines genetic engineering as taking one species and forcing the DNA from another species into it

Stopped watching there, although I already knew what to expect from a truther-level source such as "watch this MIND BLOWING movie than is only on youtube"

There has yet to be a single legitimate reputable, peer reviewed study suggesting GMOs are harmful to human health despite the fact that a very large number have tried

um, pretty sure thats false. There are plenty of studies correlating blood cholesterol to poor health, but very little evidence to suggest dietary cholesterol leads to high blood cholesterol (though other dietary factors certainly affect it)

if you eat cholesterol your body will have more cholesterol, if you eat meat your body will have more meat, if you eat a brick your body will have more bricks

that's the flawed logic behind people thinking cholesterol is bad for you. They forget about this thing called digestion where foods part where get broken down for parts like a mustang parked in a mexican neighborhood

anyone else find it unbearably funny that they don't even sell boar heads?

Nope.

You bought in bulk and got bulk pricing bro.