The Real Reason Your Food Takes So Long

How many people here have experienced this, from either the customer or the chef side?

youtu.be/mTnj5BVyJvg

Just watched 30 seconds of the video and can assure everyone that it's not worth opening.

It's not funny, and coming from both FoH and BoH experience, it's entirely inaccurate and just plain stupid. That is all.

I feel for that guy on the date. Women take relationships so slowly.

Video was funny, but I haven't really experienced something like that.

>entirely inaccurate

So all the chefs on here that proclaim to serve the shittiest, out-of-date slab of meat to people who ask for a well-done steak, well, those people don't actually exist, since your experience doesn't bear that out. Correct?

>hurr durr, if they want shoe leather, they can have shoe leather

Well, one: this is a humorous production.
Two: the cooks don't give a shit about credit card splits or people asking about Happy Hour.
This is lousy, at best.

This.

BoH could give 2 shits about how the customer treats the servers. If anything, some wormy servers will manipulate tickets and lie to BoH to ensure their customer is happy and more importantly--tipping them well.

Thank you for saving my time!

is the girl on the date the bitch from "Turn Down for What?"

I don't give a shit how customers treat servers.
If anything, your server will influence your order more than anything you could do.
>Megan's come back here asking about this plate twice
>This ticket's only eight minutes old
>I'm gonna sit on this, let it get to around 20, that'll fucking show her

Yes... kind of? Not as a chef or anything.

I used to work for a Dave & Buster's kind of place - I started in event sales & marketing, but we got bought out and I had to choose between learning how to be a floor/operations manager for half of the week or losing my job outright (this lasted all of two weeks before I ended up getting a promotion into corporate that I'd been hoping for, but that wasn't known to the location I worked in for the most part).

So I can run an arcade or whatever just fine, I worked in retail, no big. But here I am, my first time really in a kitchen besides figuring out event sales food costs.

>Awkwardly standing in the back, trying to figure out the health inspection checklist, not sure how to figure out if oil has been replaced, not sure what kind of storage is what
>I see one of the cooks throw a burger onto the grill, it's like 10 AM on a tuesday, there's one family sitting at a top
>Starts some pasta dish and some buffalo chicken kickers or whatever
>I come back, like, 30 minutes later, see the pasta sitting in the window with the other food
>The saddest remnant of a burger gets flipped onto a bun and moved onto a plate right before my eyes
>Pause to ask this guy "uh, is that the same burger you put on 30 minutes ago?"
>Stares at me, wide eyed
>"...Is that the burger?"
>Yes
>"I know this is my first day but isn't that probably overcooked?"
>Yes
>"Alright well can you cook them one up to order really quick? Seems like that other food has been sitting there for a while, what happened man?"
>Andrew asked me to burn this kid's burger because this kid thought his tattoo was a chick
>Confront Andrew about this, I've worked with him before, just some kinda fucked up rocker kid, seemed harmless though
>"Yeah man fuck that kid!"
>Immediately send him home
>Apologize to parents
>Comp $40 in free play, the value of their bill, they're gracious and the cook fixes the meal

We fired Andrew the next day. Cook got a writeup.

>this is a humorous production

No shit, but it is based in reality.

I was such a dick to servers that obviously tried to rush their tables.

>"Hey user how much longer on table 32? They are finished with their soup/salad" --Ticket is 4 minutes old
>Respond "Oh no I haven't cut my hair recently. But thanks for noticing"
>Go back to work on tickets in line and still calling for fucking runners on account that food is cooking up in the window.
>Server not tickets, rather, waiting for her single ticket.
>"user I need this on the fly!!!"
>Respond, "Reminds me of the time you asked my hair cut...."

Just a fucking asshole to them

>30 seconds

You didn't even see the best part then, where the chef confers with a picture of Anthony Bourdain on how to punish the customers

Like a BOFH story but even less funy.

>so all the chefs on here that proclaim to serve the shittiest, out-of-date slab of meat to people who ask for a well-done steak, well, those people don't actually exist

Pretty much. That kind of shit maybe happens once in a blue moon on a rare slow night.

Usually the kitchen staff is in a non-stop rush during service and just tries to make every ticket as quickly as possible with the specifications the table asked for. Stories of people jerking off onto someone's plate are told by people who've never been through an actual dinner service.

The worst food tampering that ever happens in my experience is when tables come back several minutes until closing.
If they are wanting apps and still deciding on their entree is when the bad stuff happens.
I have seen a person stick several pieces of meat in his sweaty pants (12hr shift for this guy) and throw it on the grill.

Don't patron a restaurant minutes before it closes.

>I have seen a person stick several pieces of meat in his sweaty pants (12hr shift for this guy) and throw it on the grill.

And you let that shit get served? You're as bad as he is.

good for you, fuck andrew

>If they are wanting apps and still deciding on their entree

What does this mean? I don't eat out a lot, but isn't it normal to order appetizers before your main course? Like order drinks and snacks, drinks come first, and you talk and think about what to eat, then when the snacks come the waiter takes your main order.

That's how I imagine it going anyway.

Andrew sounds like a complete cunt, good on you mate.

Panera Bread worker and people that come in or in drive through

get fucked this was decent youtubes.

it makes sense to serve that bit of meat to someone who wants a well done steak, you couldn't serve it to someone who wanted it rare

You shouldn't serve expired meat at all. Well done doesn't mean ruined.

that is the whole joke you fucking plen

holy shit how has no one in the thread realised that the video is taking the piss out of the folky misinformation about anti-consumer practices in the restaurant business

are you all autistic

this shit doesnt ever happen in the kitchen,

it isn't. no one has a fucking chart to determine wait time. nobody wants to hear the servers bitch, the front and back of the house rarely work together because they want tips and the cooks do things out way while they want to whipe the customers ass so they can get more money.

This. Kitchen could give a damn about your rude table and i dont blame them.
>know my job is easier than the cooks
>know i make more in a 5 hour shift than they make in 12 hour shift
>dont bitch about my tables
>get my food quick
>buy them drinks at the bar afterward
If i want to stick it to a table ill water down their liquor or the worst people get a rim polish.

>reverse yelp
my sides

>decent
>youtube

No.

who here /cumsincustomersfood/ ?

you serve the best, every time, because you take pride in the food you put out. anything that deviates from this statement is told as a joke to alleviate feelbads from ruining steaks for stupid people.

THISSSSSSSS GUYYYYYYYYYYY.

don't worry, he's recorded the youtube link in his notepad file of youtubes that he should not watch.

Who is this sperm wyrm?

>Well done doesn't mean ruined.

Uh, yes, it is. At that point its not really meat anymore, its "meat", just needs a bit of tanning and you could wear it on your feet.

>what is google image search?
Do your own work you lazy little cunt.

I had an experience very much like this.

>at a sports bar with 8/10 friends and acquaintances
>a few of them were early and already ordered (nbd i showed up with 5 others)
>the rest of us order our food and drinks
>i split an appetizer and a meal with a buddy to save cash
>we get our appetizers, everything's fine
>after maybe 10 minutes everyone's entrees come out
>everyone's but mine and a couple friends
>after the waiter walks away and brings my food out, i ask them where mine is
>they don't know and said they'll ask the kitchen
>3 or 4 minutes pass and i tell my friends to eat and flag down another waiter asking for my food
>they say they don't know and they'll check the kitchen
>over the course of 30 minutes that waiter and 2 others visit me every 5 minutes asking if my food has come out yet
>time passes and all my friends have eaten and are paying their checks
>the waiter brings me mine, and i tell her "i'm not paying for anything, i haven't even received my food yet"
>she says something like "oh! uh uh uh" and walks off
> 30 seconds later the manager is at my feet with a take-out box grovelling for me to forgive their service and that he'll pay for my tab.
> when i got back to my friend's apartment 5 minutes later, my food was ice cold

i'm glad they seemed to try to do something about my order. i wonder what was going on.
i haven't gone back yet.

dont do that less than an hour before the fucking place closes you twat

the cooks are trying to clean up and turn shit off so they can go home

just get straight fire entrees, or even better, just get fried food

sitting down 20 min to close and ordering apps, entree, drinks, dessert means youre going to be there until an hour after close and youre keeping cooks from cleaning and closing up shop

I need an MMA ass whooper on call for petty fuck boys like Andrew & friend Cook.

can confirm. family did that when i was a dishwasher and three of us went out back and put pubic hairs in the meat and spit on it and dropped it on the floor.

i also pissed into a cup and walked into the back and slung the piss into the ice. before a friday night dinner. hundreds of men, women, and children, have drank my piss.

also, nice trip-dub-dubs

>Huge tits

>Flat fucking ass

Goddamnit, Only women could get through life on looks and no effort alone.

Fuck me.

>Andrew salty because a child called him out on his faggy tats

You're doing the Lord's work, user.

you must be a lot of fun at parties

You know she would still be a lot of fun to ride, though.

I've been on both sides, we just do what we get done based off of ordering order. but if we can't get everything done we just stop taking orders for a while

>poo in the loo dating white male
>actually has a queue of men with white names to choose from
unrealistic 2bh

>college humor
no thanks, im not a pleb

Then don't let people fucking order 20 minutes before close! Have a solid policy of "we shut down the grills 30 mins before close, deal with it"! How fucking hard is that?

(checked)
well-done steaks will result your order taking longer because cooking a steak to welldone takes longer.

no one in the kitchen gives a fuck how customers treat the FOH. Where I work it's first order in first order out and we bust our asses to get everything out as fast as we can.

the REAL reason your food will take long is if something takes a long time to cook (well done steaks) or if it's busy as fuck (ie there are hundreds of people ordering at once)

also the woman in the video looks like trash and the guy is a total cuck.

I hope that clears things up for you, OP. HOH only cares about making good food as quick as possible, not about the FOH feelies. If this is not the case you are in a shit restaurant

>Then don't let people fucking order 20 minutes before close! Have a solid policy of "we shut down the grills 30 mins before close, deal with it"! How fucking hard is that?
I don't think you know what "close" means

Typically the only reasons food may be delayed during usual hours (ie not 10 minutes before we close) is that the cooks messed up something so expo sent it back or that there's just a shitload of orders.

I'm a front of house guy so I don't know how exactly cooks organize orders for the most efficiency but orders composed of less complex dishes will usually get out before dishes that are more complex and/or take more time to make.

The reason food takes a long time to make like 10 minutes before closing is that the cooks have usually already been preparing to close for the last 2 hours of business hours so they can transition into shutting everything down literally at the hour of closing, clean the whole kitchen, then go home.

There's also the odd case where a ticket gets lost but that's happened maybe once in the year I've been working at the restaurant.

Also I've never seen anybody I work with fuck with anyone's food and I wouldn't ever do it either

That's fucking vile, man. You and your family are fucked up.

If your sign out front says "we close at 10," that needs to be when you shut down the kitchen and start cleaning.
If you don't like that, then change the sign to say "we close at 9:30".
If you don't like THAT, then whoever runs this fucking restaurant needs to get over the fact that they have to pay people to clean the place every night.

>"Sorry, you can't order any food right now; the kitchen is closing in 20 minutes"
???

Are you aware that employees stay after close to clean up?

>If your sign out front says "we close at 10," that needs to be when you shut down the kitchen and start cleaning.
also this is incredibly wrong. Kitchen staff should be cleaning during any downtime they get. Downtime meaning no food to cook or prep to do

>work at Dave & Buster's midway
>longer hours than anyone else
>more skilled work than anyone else
>the same shit customers
>no portion of the front end tips
>literally below the illegal dishwashers

this industry is a joke
if you prepare food i hope you die irl

Honestly, if BOH ran the show it would be like that. FOH where I work often tell us we can close, only to come rushing back 5mins later to ask us to cook for a 4 top or 6 top that just walked in, especially if service itself was less busy than usual. No points for guessing why they might do that to us.

I remember one time a customer came in and argued with my manager that it was 10:57, not 10:59 (we close at 11), even though my manager agreed to let him order food

I think he said something like

>Uh actually it's 10:57 so I think you should check your watch

This was one guy in a group of like 8 people

I don't know what possesses people to do shit like that

I felt really bad about this once.

>Friends want to go to a bar after our final exam is over
>Get there just before 10 pm
>Place closes at midnight
>Waitress comes, takes drink orders
>Tells us that kitchen stops taking orders at 10:30 and they only serve drinks from then until closing, so we should order food now if we want it
>Almost everyone orders food, buffalo wings and stuff like that
>I haven't eaten all day so I get a hamburger
>We drink our beers, friends get their food, mine never comes out
>We order more beers, just hanging out, I don't even inquire after my food
>10:40 pm now, I decide that the kitchen had probably shut down its grill early and rejected my order or something, no big deal
>Waitress comes by to ask if I ever got my burger
>I say no, but that it's okay since the kitchen is already closed, don't worry about it
>Waitress has a small freak-out, assures me that she'll go back and tell the cooks that they have to make my burger right now
>Scurries off before I can tell her no (I *really* didn't want to eat bodily fluids)
>About 15 minutes later, finally get my burger
>Very hesitant to eat this thing, give it a thorough inspection for spit/cum/hair
>Seems okay, cautiously eat it

It wasn't my fault :(

This gave me a smile I'm carrrying with me for the rest of the day
Thanks user