Healthy Eatting

How does one eat healthy?

How do you eat healthy?

What are some good - usually cheap - materials to cook with for a healthy meal plan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vYeJUtMCAzc
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3701293/
ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Vegan

cook everything you eat yourself. as long as you don't cheat and deep fry everything or top everything with shredded cheese you will naturally form a healthy diet.
my favourite meals which appear at least once a fortnight are
beef stew
falafel with salad and pitta
curried vegetables with paneer
kimchi stew with pork and tofu
vegetarian chilli (Use red lentils to thicken up the sauce)
Only eat meat 2-3- times a week, keep your protein up with pulses on non meat days. meat is by the most expensive thing when cooking. when you buy meat, buy cheap cuts, they normally take longer to cook but can end up tasting much better.

This desu fampai

It's mainly about proper portions.

You can eat fried chips, candy, soda, butter, bread etc. as long as you know the proper portion sizes. You shouldn't really eat an entire bag of chips as a snack, but a small handful with a meal. One piece of candy, not an entire container. 6 oz of soda, and it should take the place of dessert. Avoid sugary breads, or again let them take the place of dessert.

I just eat plenty of vegetables and whole grain bread, beans while supplementing it with dairy or meat. Very small portions of dessert. No snacking unless I have to wait longer than usual for a meal and am getting hungry.

Protein shakes and vegetable drinks during the day.

your life sounds like living hell and bondage

bad advice

telling people no snacking is like saying kill yourself never be happy again

You sound like you've lived a very easy life lol. I didn't say no snacking though. Eating a snack means you're hungry, and if you're hungry it's probably better to have a balanced meal instead.

Why are you eating if you're not hungry?

This guy has pretty good tasty ideas.

youtube.com/watch?v=vYeJUtMCAzc

I'm not an american but 75$ seems a bit heavy.
Visit his channel

i get hungry in one hour after a meal

its probably better to spread out your food than have 2 giant meals

Make an account on fitness pal, or anywhere with a good calorie counter. Input all your info, then follow the diet guideline.

The main thing is to hit all your macros and vitamins/minerals.

Healthier food comes naturally from this. You need to get your fibre, so you would buy whole wheat bread and cereals. You can't go over your carb limit, so you eat protein and fat. You need to get your vitamins from somewhere, so you eat vegetables and fruit.

Your country probably has some sort of "food guide" you can follow too.

theres some shitty advice in this thread so far.
first of all, snacking in between meal is good, as long as it's light, healthy snacks. let me give you a good idea of a healthy day of eating:

Breakfast: Wheat toast, jam, poached egg, and a raw bell pepper. if you want a fried egg, fry it inside a slice of bell pepper. it keeps the egg together and makes for a nice presentation.

Snack on raw vegetables, like bell peppers or cucumbers, throughout the day. maybe some hummus and crackers too.

For lunch, a simple sandwich will suffice, if you need a lunch at all. almonds or pistachios are a good addition.

For dinner, either boiled chicken, baked fish, or a steak, depending on your calories need. a chicken breast salad would be a good start too.

Just remember that eating healthy is only half of what it takes to BE healthy. you need to exercise, and adjust your calorie intake depending on your regiment.

this is what I do, cronometer is the best imho but different people have different needs

though paleo is a bit of a meme diet I do find high protein, fats, and complex carbs like oats and vegetables do keep me satiated longer, while simple sugars raise my appetite excessively

>Please upgrade to cronometer gold edition to group foods in Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner.

haha

*healthily
ftfy faggot.

put a "note" to separate them and just write your meal time there
none of the premium features are actually necessary

cook own food, get a pressure cooker, eat beans all day every day.

you'll die

>can't cook
>have to laboriously read every direction and figure out how to do all the things they tell you to do before I can finish a recipe
>balanced meals have like five different items cooked in them
>just end up making one-pot slops
>probably less healthy than if I ate at a resturaunt

What's unhealthy about slop?

just eat three bites when you eat and don't eat more than 5 times a day.

Set a calorie limit. Use a calorie calculator to keep track of your intake. Don't eat fast food, soda, or anything riske unless it fits within your caloric intake.

For 50 odd days I've limited myself to 1800 a day to lose weight. Went from 229 to 209 because of it.

Remember, eating healthy foods doesn't mean you don't get fat. You can eat 3,000 calories worth of a healthy food and be obese, or eat 1500 calories of pizza a day and be a twig.

>Remember, eating healthy foods doesn't mean you don't get fat.

Maybe, maybe not. These people ate less fat, and more vegetables, with no caloric restrictions, and they actually lost some weight.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3701293/

Don't drink soda or eat any snacks. Worked for me.

only eat twice a day. this gives your body a nice rest from food.

It's not a maybe, maybe not equation retard. It's math.

>You can eat fried chips, candy, soda, butter, bread etc. as long as you know the proper portion sizes. You shouldn't really eat an entire bag of chips as a snack, but a small handful with a meal. One piece of candy, not an entire container. 6 oz of soda, and it should take the place of dessert. Avoid sugary breads, or again let them take the place of dessert.

Actually should be avoiding most of that shit. Maybe a treat every once in awhile. Butter and bread is fine though. Soda in place of dessert? Fuck that, dessert can be any type of sweet food (fruits, naturally sweetened). Soda is always corn syrup and caffeine.

It's really hard to overeat when you eat good, real food. Meat, vegetables, beans, eggs, combine any of these for a meal and you're laughing.

I eat healthy by replicating meals I could find in nature. bit of greens here, some fruit there. Meat once in a while, and mostly fish.
Source local and fresh and you can't go wrong.

Try not to buy anything that isn't on the outer edge of the grocery store.

The snack aisle, canned aisle, soda aisle, frozen foods aisle, etc. start to be rare visits. You mainly go there for vegetables and time savers. Pretty much every staple (bread, dairy, produce, butcher, health foods, etc.) are on the outside.

Frequently eating out is the quickest way to die early. The amount of fat and sugar in restaurant food is fucking scary, even in non-fast food places.

Most menus have healthy options. For example at McDolands, a chicken sandwich and a salad with Italian vinaigrette.

But how many calories did they actually consume? Fats are nearly twice as calorically dense as carbs, and while they're more satiating, a huge serving of veggies will fill you up and still only be a few hundred calories. It's totally possible that they physically ate more while taking in less energy.

OP, bake or roast things instead of frying.
Steam your vegetables or eat them raw rather than boiling, which removes nutrients. Whole grains, less processed stuff, and avoid added sugar in general.

Rice, oatmeal, common vegetables, and chicken, especially thighs, are all pretty cheap staples.

It doesn't matter - they ate enough to be full, which is the point. If you eat healthy foods, it's nearly impossible to be obese so you don't actually have to monitor your caloric intake.

Soda should never touch your lips. I rarely snack and if I do, it consists of nuts, fruit, or veg.

Eating balanced meals that fill you up nearly eliminates a 'need' for snacking, see above. Just because some people have self control and real meals 3x a da doesn't mean they are miserable.

$75 is a bit steep. I can get organic romas for $0.99 a lb., bell peppers $.99 each, etc. Even meats aren't that pricey if you know how to buy. Shopping in season helps too.

This guy has the right idea, although I would add more veg, especially in the morning when your body can use the carbs all day.

>eating this much red meat and trying to not get cancer

Might nit die right away but he will have some Hitler level gas problems. Really though Hitler had a shitty digestive tract.

This is completely false, eating veggies and better foods can make you LOSE weight regardless.

ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en

A friend of mine stopped drinking diet soda and lost almost 30 pounds with no other changes.

Butter is always fucking delicious and your body likes fats.

Also good advice I have seen other places.

This x 100 even dinner roles that are almost 100% carbs usually have added sugar.

KYS

Not that user, but it is a valuable point, calorie density plays a part in fullness and consumption. However, science indicates eating more of a varied plant heavy diet can make you regulate body weight better even with the same caloric intake.

This, if you eat mainly plants there is so much fiber you will feel full before you have a chance to over eat calorically speaking. Vegan athletes spend much more of their day simply eating enough.

Oh good, it's the guy that replies to everyone.

Oh good, it's the guy that adds valuable content to the thread.

>Maybe, maybe not.

No, thermodynamics does not care about "maybe, maybe not". It's either is or isn't. The amount of energy contained in the chemical bonds of food is fixed per unit of mass. It cannot change so long as you don't add other things to it.

It is constant.

Calories In (Food) - Calories Out (Exercise; Physical Activity) = Weight (Gained, Equal or Lost)

If you eat more calories from food than you expend in exercise then you WILL gain weight. Alternatively, if you eat less or exercise more, then you WILL lose weight. If you equalize this, then you will remain the same weight.

There is nothing special about it, it simply is and will always be this way.

You are assuming the innumerable chemical reactions that take place in a human body is a simple addition problem. What we eat affects our body chemistry more than just a caloric count. Please read a book.

>the 'my metabolism is fast so other people must be lazy' argument
Thermodynamics doesn't, but metabolism has an effect. sugar in your blood can be filtered before it is used up, and your body can create blood sugar (glucogenesis) in response to stress and the like. There are many small things that effect metabolism, including natural steroid production and use. Don't talk thermodynamics when you don't know fuck all about the complexities of biology, you just look ignorant and fucking stupid

>the "hurr durr my thyroid problems and genetics durrrrrr" argument

Stay fat, fattie.

Pretty much just cut out refined sugar completely, use pure cane sugar when you absolutely need it.
When you want to eat some candy eat home made dehydrated fruit instead.
Make every dish from scratch at home.
Learn to use other seasoning besides salt, and when you do use salt use it very moderately.
If you want to eat pasta, bread, potatoes, etc opt for the healthier choices like brown rice whole wheat bread, vegetable pasta(definitely worth investing in a pasta maker and doing this at home.), Etc.
Cut out red meat, and when you do eat meat make sure its a side dish, vegetables and fruits should be your main entrée.
Not really too sure about fish but I eat it and I feel the same as when I don't regularly.
Nuts are also very good for you.
If you don't like a food that's supposed to be super healthy(kale, quinoa, avocado) then don't eat it, or learn to prepare it differently. Forcing yourself to do this will make you hate eating and send you back to eating shit.

ignoring medicine to berate people makes you sound like an anti vaxxer, not like an enlightened being. Refusing to accept science will not help everybody lose weight since you're operating on false narrative and facts

Fats are the least satiating macronutrient by calorie by fat, and unsrturated fats are more satiating that saturated fats.

The whole "fats are satiating" is one of the most egregious unscientific lies keto fatasses somehow managed to push on the general population.

The ranking of satiation is abundantly clear in the scientific literature:

Protein is most satiating.
Starch is second.
Sugar is third.
Unsaturated fat is fourth.
Saturated fat is last, by far the least satiating things you can eat - butter, lard, cheese, pork chops...

Eating fermented vegetables is pretty underrated. Never had problems shitting after that. So much room for experimentation too.

Eating healthy is pretty much as good as eating the first thing that comes to mind when you eat healthy. Fruits, vegetables, the right amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Eat more calories than you need to gain weight. Eat less to lose weight. Everything else is useless wankery that no layman has the right to delve into without the relevant education.

Eating organic is not worth the price. GMOs are not evil. Meat increases cancer risk but isn't that bad unless you are retarded eating kilos of red meat a day, fried in reused vegetable oil. Paleo is a meme, but some of it is alright. Going vegan is fine if you're not retarded and can cover your bases. Milk is pretty shitty since there's almost nothing you can't find in it anywhere else, unless drinking bovine growth hormone and burnt pus appeals to you. But hey, I grew up drinking milk and I still like it. Soy is estrogenic, but hardly enough to be bad unless you had shitty test levels to begin with. Saturated fats aren't evil. You need more omega 3 in your diet, preferably from seafood. Don't need large amounts of vitamin C unless you are an athlete. MSG is decent substitute for salt and allows you to use less. It is not an "excitotoxin." Detox is bullshit. Antioxidants now use a different measurement system for their effectiveness as of 2012 since the one before that was unreliable in vivo, but everyone and their mother still thinks they make you immune to cancer. Intermediate fasting is alright and fairly useful if you're pressed for time. Cocoa is highly underrated for what it can do. Matcha is pretty great if you can get some.

There's a lot of leeway for how you eat. No need to be uptight or proud about what you ultimately shit out.