Is the French Laundry still worth it?

Is the French Laundry still worth it?

Is that really a pic from French Laundry

No, you moron.

No it was just the first food picture I saw when I opened my pic folder. It's some sort of Scandinavian meatball meal I think. Sorry if it was misleading.

Oh man, does anyone remember that brief yet so beautiful campaign to send Joey to TFL?

A limo and dinner for one, it was like $450 and we had more than enough interest to do it, but no one wanted to delurk and post a kickstarter with their name on it.

It would have been so good. so good.

Whose Joey?

If I find i to be humorous to do, ill put my name on it and offer up 100...

Shitty obese YouTube fast food reviewer

>Scandinavian Kottbullar
>the potatoes are mashed to no texture gunk
>next to no sauce
>Just slapping a fucking sour pickle there instead of attiksgurka
>Fucking beetroot instead of lingonberries

Probably shitty instant mashed potato mix (my mother's weapon of choice).

>Just slapping a fucking sour pickle there instead of attiksgurka

inget fel med det

konstigt med rödbetan dock

Hatar såsen

yeah they have great food, we go there when we hit the wine country.

>hit the wine country
in my head, I'm picturing a slightly overweight middle aged couple wearing matching crocs, the "hubby" as he is called by his wife, wears mostly tommy bahama and faconnable, the wife wears a lot of white house black market and, in her words, "absolutely adores" stuart weitzman accessories. they will be stopping by del dotto (the wife's favorite!) in the rented black H2 Hummer stretch limo to get "tipsy" (lol so naughty!) and will spend around $1600 on a variety of chocolate-dipped bottles while "hubby" walks the fine line of trying to impress the girl pouring the wines, and actually openly hitting on her. later, the wife will "joke" about this in front of the staff at TFL, who will disarm the situation expertly and everyone will go home feeling good about themselves.

Your question is sort of misplaced. For the audience that should be going there, money is simply not an issue, so the question of worth is more about time than anything else. If finances are a concern, absolutely none of the top hundred or so restaurants in the world are "worth it". You need to be able to easily afford it, or it is just not a good idea.

TFL is a great option for gourmets who are looking for novelty AND, more importantly, are already doing a Napa trip. You should never go to the French Laundry to go there and there alone, but because you are already in the area for and want to add fine dining to your agenda after tastings. Actually, I prefer the very low brow "Bounty Hunter" bar on the way into Napa as well as Brunch at Brix over TFL. The Beer Can chicken at Bounty Hunter is amazing.

TFL is at a weird place for me. It is just innovative enough to be different from the norm, but not innovative enough to be extremely memorable. Execution is extremely high level, but every dish I have had there I have had better elsewhere.

So basically, you should only go there if you are in the area and are buying thousands of dollars of wine already, so that it is only a drop in the bucket.

If you are some guy saving $800 just so you can have a dinner for two there-- don't. Not worth it at all.

you need to get out more. you sound like a huge 20 something faggot trying to imagine a lifestyle you'll never be able to obtain until your parents die.

>pickle spear

right out of the bottle and tossed on the plate. Bon Appetite

found the fat fuck wearing crocs and unironically drinking del dotto

That's actually what I thought too.

Look, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

You are more likely to see 500 Teslas and Prius before you see a single H2. If you live close enough to drive there, the odds are you work in SF or Tech and driving an H2 would be social suicide. If you do not live close enough to drive there, you are getting a rental car anyways, or you will just have a driver in a normal town car or regular limo if you're with friends.

The clothing would be all over the place, but an average would be Nordstrom's / Nieman's. The French Laundry audience is not the Del Dotto audience. The Del Dotto audience are the kinds of people that would travel to Venice and ask where they can find the Cheesecake Factory. I actually had to look up Del Dotto because I had no idea what you were talking about. If you care enough to plan for and go to the French Laundry, you are at least minimally knowledgeable about "good things" and if not, you at least research them.

If you're doing a Napa trip, you do it with intent to visit certain places that you have researched. Kids and lower middle class people get suckered by other things. Also that one place that looks like a Disney castle but has really shitty wine (gorgeous place, but you only see college kids there). But everyone else wants to have better tastings.

You also usually do it with a bunch of couples. If it's just a couple thing, you are probably romantic enough that the girl pouring wines is not an issue.

Nobody understands your shit tier language. Speak american

> If you live close enough to drive there, the odds are you work in SF or Tech

that's a real stretch, the majority of the people you see roaming around napa stopping at all the tourist traps are definitely not facebook employees, and last year a cyclist in napa was actually killed by an H2 stretch limo, it was all over the news

people who know wine generally avoid napa altogether and just go to sonoma

>an average would be Nordstrom's / Nieman's

I don't think you can even get faconnable outside of nordstrom, so, yeah, I was spot on and you're mad as fuck

Tvinga mig

(aka-shitposter)
LOL i like when people call me fat, as if its an insult or something. Veeky Forums sounds so fucking retarded trying to call someone fat on a food image board. there's some irony for you.

but crocs I will admit are comfortable af. I have 2 pairs of them that I wear at work and 1 pair I keep on the dock.

& del dotto? you must be homo. gay marin fags trying to impress their buttbois drink that fruity ass shit. I'm not a huge winofaggot like you but I like V. Sattui wines and I get a 40% discount from them through work.

please keep going. this is entertaining.

>Disney castle

robert mondavi? theyre one of the richest families here in the valley.

But no person who goes to TFL would also go to a tourist trap. Like who in the world goes to TFL and would wear crocs. Like really, do you think they would go to TFL over some other shitty place hyped by their stupid hotel.

Facconable has a ton of individual stores. There is one right on Union Square.

The group I was with was:

Me, ironically a Facebook employee.
Gf, works for a startup called Zenefits.
CA Couple 1- Robert Half sales managers. They probably make around 200k each.
CA Couple 2 - Hotel manager at Heavenly Ski Resort + his wife does event management for Hardrock in Tahoe.
Washington Couple, Boeing Engineer Manager and Microsoft HR Manager.

We're all 28-31ish. Most of the people we saw were around our age too. A few older people. I only make like 120ish, but that's still enough for TFL and actual real wineries. Who the fuck travels all the way to Napa without wineries in mind.

I am sure some arabs or russians or something were in the H2, but I really do not believe that they would go to TFL. They would just get conned by a concierge into spending hundreds at some place that is not even well regarded.

>Me, ironically a Facebook employee.

that's probably why you think it's impossible for a silicon valley type to be seen in a hummer

maybe not a hummer specifically anymore, but if you go to any of the old school SV firms (the ones that make stuff, not the ones that are actually just advertising agencies), you'll see plenty of trucks and SUVs in the parking lots. the places that have nothing but priuses and teslas are the new wave of firms like the one you work for

and TFL is well known by non-foodies as the best restaurant in the world (or one of the best), do you think it's obscure or something?

I assume he's talking about amarosa, mondavi looks like an old spanish mission, ironically out of place in neo-napa, but would have looked perfectly normal back in the good old days before the entire valley turned into a giant tourist trap

I was talking about V. Sattui. But.. well the other guy just said he liked it. And crocs. So, you win and I give up.

V. Sattui wines are swill. For college kids who do not know what they are doing. Also beautiful, but yuck.

I do not really like Mondavi wines and think they are sort of mediocre. I have only had their commercially available stuff though (like chain store availability rather than vineyard availability).

When I go to Napa/Sonoma (they are the same thing to me), I go to places like Alpha Omega, Stag's Leap, Chandon (mostly because it's fun and the membership is super super cheap), and then a bunch of very very small vineyards that I do not want to name in the off chance that people read this and show up without calling first.

I write the food blog "Kathy's Kuisine" and I have talked about Mark Knopfler's restaurants a few times, including the French Laundry and I would love to pay it a visit. However, as a busy Mom, finding the time is really tough and to be honest, hubby is a steak and potatoes man, so convincing him to go would be really tough.

But keep it up Mr. Knopfler! Good food and great eating is our collective goal!

Are you the user who used to post as edgar? I wish you'd revive that persona, that shit was great. The posts themselves were funny on their own, but then Veeky Forums shitting itself with rage because of collective autism was even better.

Not him but how is calling someone fat not an insult? It's a terrible thing to be and shows incompetence in multiple ways. I mean, having a bit of a belly is fine and easy to get yourself into. Having an BMI upwards of 30 is just plain fucking retarded.

Are you a bitchy chick or a catty faggot? Either way you're a gaping asshole. You stand out even on Veeky Forums. I'd kick your ass if I ever met you. Do you actually talk to other people like that, or do you feel all safe being a nasty little cocksucker on the internet?

>fucking hubby

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

There is literally nothing wrong with instant mashed potatoes.

Upwards of 25 is disgusting unless you are under 15% bf

Du har fel. Äcklig konsistens, ingen smak och knappt mindre besvär än potatismos.

First kek on Veeky Forums, cheers buddy

no. none of these "best places in the world" are worth it.

isnt the best taco from the shitty vendor? the best italian from the hole in the wall?

yes the food is phenomenal , but when you leave and a thousand dollars is out of your account, how do you feel?

only go if money is not has never been and will never be an issue

plus reservations are 6 months in advance, when there are plenty of wonderful restaurants in the valley

Yes.

Keller is a genius man, and I had the pleasure working for him. Although he got ripped a new one by Pete Wells, I would have to say that's because Well's and NYT's ratings were at a all time low.

The man is passionate about food and the staff at the Laundry will treat you into an experience that you have never had before.
I would say this is not worth it if you could care less about an experience, and not so interested in food.

>I had the pleasure working for him.

how many plates of the bourgeoisie did you wash, user?

That looks like the Swedish meatballs from Ikea