Grocery store thread

Grocery store thread.

Just moved to a new city with a lot of options. Rate thread. I personally love Aldi but there isn't one here, of course.

>went to trader joe's
>found it horrifically expensive
>2/10 would not shop
>is a whole foods nearby, not even gonna walk near that shithole until I make 6 figures

Where does Veeky Forums shop?

>tfw danish
>tfw only three chains in the whole country and only one of them is acceptable

grocery market here is calcified

for cheap god tier produce find a mexican supermarket

>be dutch
>go the the 'ah
>spiciest item they have is tabasco

Goddamn white people!
wait...Im white...

you know you could if you wanted buy your nonperishables online, and even with shipping they'd probably cost you about the same or less than the grocery store

sav-a-lot

Based HEB

Publix.

It's a little more expensive than Walmart, but it's worth it to not have to deal with the people of Walmart.

I have 4 options:
>Tesco
Overpriced as fuck, but has pretty decent fruit & veg selection that doesn't rot after a day.
>Dunnes stores
Horrifically overpriced, rude and very slow staff, shitty selection and terrible quality fruit & veg that rots rapidly. The only positive is their hot food counter that has reasonable deals.
>Lidl
Dearer of the 2 german supermarkets. Piss poor selection in comparison to Aldi but is closer to me than aldi. Rude staff that barely know any English making me feel like I've either been transported to Krakow or the Congo.
>Aldi
Best one of the lot. Cheap, decent selection, staff are friendly and do excellent special buys(especially around school time, where I can pick up parts of my daughters uniform for very little). Only negatives are the distance from me and their fruit and veg aren't that great.

Mainly use Lidl, Tesco and Aldi to be honest

95% of my groceries are perishable.

I found save a lot pretty ghetto. I've been to two locations of theirs.

Fuck walmart.

Near me:

Trader Joes (expensive), Albertsons, King Soopers (furthest, cheapest), Whole Fools (expensive), Safeway (closest, found it mid-expensive), two fancy vegan stores (probably expensive, also goddamned fucking vegans), another whole fools, and one very far away farmer's market which looks expensive.

>captcha: pancakes
>tfw no pancakes, not even any flour

man I still miss having an albertsons even though it's been something like 14 years since the one near me was shut down

Albertsons is my favorite, but it's more expensive and there's darkies.
Publix is the most expensive and doesn't have darkies, it has more people on register, but there's also more old people.
Winn-Dixie/Wal Mart are cheapest but the so unpleasant to go to.

Oh Man, I love supermarkets. I think Supermarkets are my favourite thing on earth. I hang out in them all the time. I just love them and find them so fucking relaxing. Luckily I live within 30 minutes walk of all of the following

>Morrisons
Fucking great. My favourite by some distance. I love the fact they keep the fresh baked foods right at the front of the shop because I like to walk past and smell as I walk in. The prices are pretty shit honestly, but I love the colour scheme and the atmosphere in here.

>Sainsbury's
Another nice shop. They have a great selection of spices and what I find interesting is that the spice rack is directly adjacent to the frozen food. I always find this unique and it gets me thinking, who would buy spices and Ice Cream together? Anyway, I go here sometimes to think about contrast and philosophy. It is the shop that gets me thinking.

>Tesco Express
Nice little shop. Pricey but I only come here when it is late at night and nothing else is open. Friendly staff. Of all the shops this has the best placement of the crisps. They are right in the middle of the shop in a very wide aisle. This prevents accidentally scraping them with your basket and tearing the packaging open. My nighttime hangout.

>Co-Operative Food
Awful. Prices are high. The bakery section is right as you walk in. I know I praised Morrisons for this but it is literally RIGHT as you fucking enter the shop. It feels intimidating to see fresh doughnuts and bread rolls that early on. In Morrisons you get a nice introduction with some sweets and chocolate then the bakery. I get stressed here and avoid it.

>Tesco (normal)
Very big, so nice to get lost in it. Sometimes I roleplay pretending I am walking through a desert lost after a plan crash. Then I walk to the bakery section and pretend it is an Oasis of bread, but when I reach the Oasis it is just The Co-Operative food with its front of shop bakery and I turn and walk away

>Lidl
Great prices.

come to publix and get some fried chicken

Mix between a local international market, Wal-mart, and an Aldi.

International market gets me most of my veggies, rice, drinks, etc. They occasionally have deals where you can get a bag of produce for a dollar (it's either close to rotten or plantains that are too green to sell. In either case, it can be a good buy). They also sell Cheerwine, a cherry soda, for a dollar for each 12-pack, which is the main reason I go there.
Aldi gets me the regular peanut butter and jelly, bread, cheese, milk, etc. Their sodas are also very cheap and give me a little bit of variety when it comes to carbonated drinks.
Wal-mart is goof for if I can't go to the other two places or if they have a really good deal on fruits or meats.

Walmart doesn't have everything I need, they're ok for basics sometimes. I hate buying fresh veggies there, they always taste terrible.

Publix is nice, always clean, has a great deli. I love their chicken tenders and the mountain bread.

Lucky's is my favorite, it's cheap and has good quality meat for less than Publix. They always have good deals on produce.

Save a Lot is like walking into another country.

I've always been too scared to go into a save a lot

what's it like inside

Publix is the absolute greatest

I love publix

>Price Chopper
Two near me, one stocks decent beer. Slightly expensive, decent sales, best quality produce, but ran by jews. 6/10. I go here most often because it's closest.

>Mainesource
Very good produce, good meats and cheeses. Restauaunt supply store, has good prices on equipment and cases of fresh/frozen food. Stocks industry sized canned goods, great for when I need 5 lbs of beans for a giant vat of chili. Stocks nothing but food and equipment, have to go elsewhere for pet related purchases. 9.5/10.

>Aldis
Cheap and effective, not huge on selection but the seasonal foodstuffs are more than enough to offset. Best price for produce, I don't trust their meats. Been stocking more mexican food lately, and if you go at the wrong time the place is full of ninjas. 8.5/10 normally, -1000/10 when full of muzzy.

>P&B Discount Grocery
Everything is expired/spoiled and the place is full of niggers. Not worth rating.

>Redners
As cheap as Aldis but with 10x the selection. In an incredibly awkward place to get to. Best quality meats. 4/10 just because it's so out of the way, otherwise 9.5/10.

>ABC Shursave
Two close to me. Only one is worth going to. Cheapest meat worth buying, decent produce, actually stocks Bullseye BBQ sauce, really good in-house smoked meats. The other is a shitshow all around. In a sort of shitty neighborhood. 8/10.

>Target
Food is too expensive to bother buying, but their catfood and catlitter is the cheapest.

>Wal-Mart
Huge selection offset by massive amounts of nigger, spic, and muzzy. Shootings and muggings in the parkinglot are commonplace. Not worth it.

>Wegmans
Insanely wide selection, highest average quality of goods, best cheeses outside of specialty shops, but priciest of the bunch. 5/10.

I find I'm much happier getting my groceries at little ethnic grocery stores and staying the fuck out of the supermarket. The ethnic markets are fulll of actual food, usually at good prices. The supermarket is full of dodgy shit masquerading as food.

>tfw you live in DC aka city of the yuppies
>only shit grocery stores like Giant and yuppie places like Whole Foods and local rip offs of Whole Foods
>tfw little to no ethnic markets

H Mart's not too bad though

HEB, but I might start buying my meat at Walmart if I keep getting slimy chicken.

I only miss two things from my time living in Florida, Publix and the beach.

Winco

im poor but I shop at a rich persons loblaws in canada, which makes it easy for me to steal loads of stuff since they don't have security.

I once stole 190 dollars of beef tenderloin, that was gangster as fuck.

Aldi is the best, but I also regularly go to Meijer, Costco, and Kroger, in order of frequency.

I have an Acme, Giant (both regular old grocery stores), a Wegman's, a Trader Joe's, and a Whole Foods all within a 10 minute drive. I usually go to Giant or Wegman's depending on what I need.

>Aldi
>Best one of the lot.

Jesus Christ. Did you shop at Netto and Kwik Save too?

Aldis meat, veg and bread is absolutely diabolical.

That is exactly how I feel about Trader Joe's. It's overpriced and they have a shit selection. Why the hell would I shop there?

The cheapest vegetables I always buy on the farmers market.

TJs is overpriced? What the fuck kind of stores are you people shopping at? It's nothing but sketchy off-brand garbage.

Find the closest farming town near you and go to their farmers market.

My favorite grocery store is Winco, cheap and it has a huge bulk section. I also like Sprouts.

>tfw all the best grocery stores in your area are full of yuppies
>tfw you almost get run over by some idiot in a BMW every time you go there

I JUST WANT FULL-FAT YOGURT WITHOUT HAVING TO DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE

I think they're Euros. I live in the PNW and TJ's is cheap as fuck especially for wine (Three Buck Chuck) You shouldn't do all your shopping there, obviously, but it has good prices on certain goods, and I enjoy a lot of their frozen and pre-prepared foods.

used to be Two Buck Chuck. I miss it so

Usually publix, there's one really close to my house. If I need good meat I go to a local place called Ward's, if I'm in a hustle I and nearby winn-dixie, and I work at Lucky's, which is sort of like a supped up trader Joe's with a better meat department

I shop at Wal-Mart or a cost-plus store. Does it really fucking matter?

Usually go to giant eagle market district for those gas refunds. they also have a huge selection and it's a 3 min drive from my place

there's a convenient little store right across the street as well, but it's kind of expensive for daily groceries. I usually just go buy beer there since they have a huge selection

there's also whole foods a few miles away but seriously fuck whole foods

Where do you people live where Trader Joe's is more expensive than the regular grocery stores

Was waitin for someone to mention Winco. I just moved to Boise today actually and there is one right across the street from me. Went there to get some basics for my apartment to last me a few days. I fucking love that place. Its huge, has both bulk and regular grocery items.

Feels like a Costco and Kroger hybrid. We have Albertson's here too and Wal-Mart fresh market or whatever it's called. I've been to thoe 3 and Winco wins out bigtime so far for me.

Also surprised at OP. Trader's isn't super cheap, but I feel like I always pay around $40 and walk out with 2 or 3 bags full of awesomeness.

I'm guessing maybe a food desert where the kind of hobo-foodie products like frozen farmed salmon and organic hummus (now made with real chickpeas) are considered exotic, pretentious delicacies, so they're not mentally prepared for the possibility that you can spend more than $50 on a grocery cart full of ''''food'''' (sic)

>Publix
It's the closest suite to home, so I go there if I'm in a hurry. A nice place, but they cost a bit more, so I mostly keep my lists short when I go.

>Kroger
Farther, and the route can be plagued with traffic so I have to go either first thing in the morning or late in the evening. This particular store is so-so, but prices are good with the card. Gas discounts, too, and their health food section is better than most of what's near.

>Walmart
I go only if I need non-food items along with groceries, or if I feel like my misanthropy is becoming dull. Not terribly unclean, cheap enough, but the employees suck and the shoppers are shit tier. Seriously had an obese cashier ask me to identify a vegetable for her. It was just asparagus, for fuck's sake!

Harris Teeter. It's literally half a mile from home. I buy everything store brand. Most weeks I spend less than $50, but I'm still new to the whole "cooking" thing so sometimes I have to buy a new toy or something and the weekly cost goes up. This week was a mandoline.

I can't read this name without thinking of the Dukes of Hazzard

that was a TV show, back in the old days when your parents were kids, or more likely weren't even born yet

I would describe it as a walmart trying to create their own aldi but only copying the shitty things like poor variety and narrow aisles. They're all over the ghettos in Kansas City because mom and pop stores get robbed out of business or hire guards.

>Publix

Mid tier price, fucking massive selection, absolute dogshit clientele

>Aldi

Low price, low selection, quick in and out buying since they built it across the street from a shit Publix and people are slow to migrate

>Walmart

Where hope goes to die.

>Whole Foods

Never touching it after they put two of my favorite local restaurants out of business.

>Kroger
Free Friday Download, best clearance meat and veggie variety, great store brand
Only real con is that the one right next to me doesn't have as much variety as I'd like and some necessities are a little more expensive

>HEB
Good prices, slightly cheaper on some necessities, great store brand, favorite overall

>Wal Mart and Target
I mostly just come here if they have any interesting exclusives or want some clothes. Target has blueberry Oreos and Wal Mart has the soda Pop Tarts I want to try.

The 99cent Store by me is pretty great as well.

Pasta or not, this is quality effort, user. What service you provide

>mfw trader joes is right by whole foods
>trader joes wayyyy cheaper

H Mart is pretty far from me. I usually go to some Chinese supermarkets up in Rockville but it usually takes me a couple hours to make a trip becuase fuck the metro.

Market Basket and Walmart for me. Walmart tends to have name brand stuff for cheaper and Market Basket is good for everything else.

Seattle

>costco
i usually prefer going there, but the hours are short, and you usually get one choice on stuff. the costco business centers are where you can get some good meat, as well as some much better cheese for pizza.

>safeway
safeways are dangerous places in my neighborhood. there's police there 2 or 3 times a night. i avoid it.

>qfc
smaller selection and more expensive than safeway, but my preference, because they are usually open 24 hours, and are usually located in places that have less crime than safeway. they, however, do not have self-checkouts.

>albertson's
closed most of their stores around me. the sign above the heat-n-eat freezer said "meal solutions".

>fred meyer
i like that i can buy underpants, a wrench, and a bag of mulch along with my groceries. they stay open to 11pm, but i tend to avoid going to it because a guy i went to high school with still works there.

>winco
they are open 24 hours and are cheap.

>whole foods
i once bought some cheese there. the employees were smug as fuck, especially for working at a grocery store.

>pcc
most of their prices are even more expensive than whole foods. i think the only bargain is bulk spices. olives are okay.

>metropolitan market
somewhere between qfc and whole foods on pricing. decent cheese selection.

>trader joe's
packaged food with jokey names.

>asian markets - 99 ranch, uwajimaya, h mart
chinese for cheap produce. japanese for fish.

ITT: jews and niggers

You also missed a bullet or fifty recently.

>Trader Joe's is expensive

For those who are saying this: where are you from? In southern California it's prices are the same (give or take) as any other big-name grocery store like Vons or Ralph's (Kroger). The only overpriced items in my nearby TJ's are typically the produce (not by much) and deli meats.

>Walmart
Only good for things that aren't meat or produce.

>United
The only other major choice besides Walmart, and they know it. Overpriced, poor inventory management, fresh items tend to go bad faster than you might expect. I really wish HEB would expand to this part of the state.

food lion for most stuff or harris teeter for certain thing

Bong ratings:

Aldi > Lidl = Morrisons > Asda > Tesco = Iceland > Sainsburies > Coop

Southern California here. Trader Joes is cheaper than the Albertsons and way cheaper than the Erewhon.

This.
>enormous seedless juicing oranges .3$/lb
>beans and rice practically free

>no waitrose

northern monkey

>Find the closest farming town near you and go to their farmers market.
I live in a commuter town-suburb on the border of the rural.

The farmers market is more expensive than any of the supermarkets.