God Tier Cookbooks

What are some good cookbooks, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

mrsbeeton.com/38-chapter38.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This user inspired me to start cooking

I haven't worked my way up to the titular chili recipe yet but once I finish some of the easier ones I'll risk it

If you're like me and you grew up reading a lot of comics it's a must have

This is a good start. Recipies have no frill and there are great in depth explanations for all non-common sense techniques.

My current collection, some good some bad.

looks good user, which ones do you use the most?

Art of Simple Food is probably the most used as I've had that one the longest. They all get used for the most part except for Roast as its shit and Charcuterie as I don't have the equipment to do most of it though hopefully not for long.

Flavor bible for inspiration

pauli
thai food, the pink one
der junge koch

Fanny farmer is a classic with recipes and technique discussion. My favorite part is that if you've never cooked you still learn alot from the troubleshooting sections. One of the more extensive cookbooks that range from very simple to extravagant recipes. My second is cooking with wine... Because cooking is always more fun when you're drinking.

This grand old lady

Good shit then.
Hot damn, what's in that beast?

>Hot damn, what's in that beast?
Here have a table of contents:

1.--THE MISTRESS.
2.--THE HOUSEKEEPER.
3.--ARRANGEMENT AND ECONOMY OF THE KITCHEN.
4.--INTRODUCTION TO COOKERY.
5.--GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING SOUPS.
6.--RECIPES.
7.--THE NATURAL HISTORY OF FISHES.
8.--RECIPES.
9.--SAUCES, PICKLES, GRAVIES, AND FORCEMEATS.--GENERAL REMARKS.
10.--RECIPES.
11.--VARIOUS MODES OF COOKING MEAT.
12.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON QUADRUPEDS.
13.--RECIPES.
14.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON THE SHEEP AND LAMB.
15.--RECIPES.
16.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON THE COMMON HOG.
17.--RECIPES.
18.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON THE CALF.
19.--RECIPES.
20.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON BIRDS.
21.--RECIPES.
22.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON GAME.
23.--RECIPES.
24.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON VEGETABLES.
25.--RECIPES.
26.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON PUDDINGS AND PASTRY.
27.--RECIPES
28.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON CREAMS, JELLIES, SOUFFLÉS, OMELETS, AND SWEET DISHES.
29--RECIPES.
30.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON PRESERVES, CONFECTIONERY, ICES, AND DESSERT DISHES.
31.--RECIPES.
32.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON MILK, BUTTER, CHEESE, AND EGGS.
33.--RECIPES.
34.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON BREAD, BISCUITS, AND CAKES.
35.--RECIPES.
36.--GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON BEVERAGES.
37.--RECIPES.
38.--INVALID COOKERY.
39.--RECIPES.
40.--DINNERS AND DINING.
41.--DOMESTIC SERVANTS.
42.--THE REARING AND MANAGEMENT OF CHILDREN, AND DISEASES OF INFANCY AND CHILDHOOD.
43.--THE DOCTOR
44.--LEGAL MEMORANDA

looks like a ton of good shit. What do you cook mostly?

It's my go to for homemade Christmas pudding, plus the general observations sections are always good, as it's a strange mix of Victorian era morality and instructions for correctly butchering meat

That and I tend to find that the gods of cooking respect the presence of the book, simply having it out with the implied threat that you'll open it and possibly follow the instructions inside tends to make fiddly tasks that much easier.

It's out of copyright now, so you can read it on gutenberg, but I like having a physical copy

>spend hundreds of dollars on cookbook collection every year
>never use recipes so books are essentially useless

Anyone else knows this feel?

Nice. I'll have to read it online then, cheers.
nigga just read them?

Nearly forgot, the section on "The Doctor" is wonderful, you have to have respect for any book that lists opium in the essential medicines to have in stock, and has instructions for what to do if someone swallows sulphuric acid.

I'm trying to find the other cookbook that Mrs. Beeton wrote that has recipes for things like bear in it

I have culinaria hungary and like it quite a bit. I've been meaning to get some more culinaria books, but I'm waiting for them to finish with their overhauled reprints

it's not really a recipe book, but my favorite book is on food and cooking by harold mcgee

not quite that much, but i've bought cookbooks on amazon and only used one or none of the recipes. one-click ordering makes this shit too easy.

I've got Culinaria Italy. Made plenty of recipes out of it.

Which ones do you plan on getting? also, favourite things to make out of hungary?

I honestly haven't made a ton of recipes out of it, but I was already a fan of hungarian cuisine so it's nice to have to learn a bit of history. but my favorite recipes are pork porkolt, sargarepafozelek (creamed carrots), lecso (similar to peperonata) and krumplifozelek even though it's not in the book

I was tempted to get the american book, but I heard that's the weakest one they've put out. also kind of interested in the russian and german books for the same reason I was interested in the hungarian book. I already like some dishes from those countries, but I want to know some of the lesser known dishes to see if I like those as well

I'd recommend the hungarian book to anyone who loves potatoes, pork, sour cream, onions, garlic and obviously peppers

Any favourite examples of morality/good kitchen advice mix?

The best

I love this one.

>image name
Cover looks good desu. what are some of the recipes you use often?

New and coming through....

when will this meme die?

I got the book for my birthday. Her cooked vegan recipes are usually pretty innovative (maybe 80% of the book is raw, 20% is vegan). I hope she will grow out of dietary restrictions because she seems like a good pastry chef to me.

Any good vegan cookbooks?

see

>Raw

TV series is also worth a watch

Vegetarian here. These are my go tos

And here's my collection

>invalid cookery

>fifty shades of chicken

It was a gift. Decent enough recipes

Best goddamn book any professional, aspiring, or learner chef can buy. And it's dirt cheap compared to school textbooks for uni students

Which do you recommend?

Genius Recipes is a best of and probably the one I flip through the most for inspiration--it's a best of sorta deal and everything in it is lovely.

Bowl is how my gf and I eat a lot so we cook from it together a lot.

For ATK/CI books, if you're just a single bro that eats a lot of meat with maybe a side or two, the Meat Book is probably the one you'll use the most. After that, I'd get the complete TV show cookbook which is also fun to flip through for inspiration and every recipe is excellent. (Sort of underwhelmed by the vegetable cookbook but it has good technique for pretty much any veg you'd want).

Anyone have some recommendations for Chinese cooking books? I mean cooking Chinese food, not books written in Chinese...

I really like their food but most of what I find on the interwebs is kinda American - Chinese cuisine, basically stuff you order online...
Not even American so that stuff isn't really what I'm looking for

Land of Plenty: a treasury of authentic Sichuan cooking by Fuchsia Dunlop

I'm curious about the chapter on invalid cookery.

Yea I saw that she's very successful. Will most likely start with one of her books I guess

It makes sense, but it's weird to see that all books on Chinese cooking are either from American-chinese people or foreigners. I was hoping for something like a translated book of an actual Chinese author

Any recommendations for baking related books?

Trump President

Conscription would be resurrected.

He loves war! He said "Black is NOT a person".

Come on, guys.

mrsbeeton.com/38-chapter38.html

Oh, cooking for invalids. I haven't heard that usage in a while.

This is one of my favorites and my most used cookbook.

I also like the Food Lab

For beginners I'd recommend Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

Well it is from the Victorian era

This one's pretty good.

the god

anyone own the cooking in russia channel companions? worth buying?

I loved it when that guy cried when he realized us americans aren't going to be told by some arrogant brit how to eat "better."

Why just got chefs?

when all the animals die and we all have to eat vegan. then it will just be referred to as regular food.

no. picky eaters don't make good cookbooks.

Everyone who likes to cook and wants to know more about cooking is a chef in my book. (Excluding self proclaimed fruitbags who think they're the shit)

Everyone who likes to use a computer and wants to learn how to get rid of a virus is an IT-professional for me.
(except stacy that only uses Instagram)

I like buying mostly local stuff since it aligns with the produce I have a available.

I see what you did there, except chef isn't nearly as large a title as it professional. Notice how you used an adjective there and I just used chef. Also you missed the point of my post, that anyone who has the will to become better as a chef and wants to become one already has the necessary attributes necessary to make it and become a chef

If you like Thai food, there is a really good one:
"Pok-pok" by Andy Ricker.

Good recipies and great stories. Haven't seen many cookingbooks that are this complete. A joy to read

yes, and fuck yes. It's filled with random helpful little cooking tips as well as some historical info

>like a translated book of an actual Chinese author

I'd like to see the same. But Dunlop is not bad at all. She speaks Chinese and studied Chinese cooking in China. She attended a government-approved cooking school in China.

> Danish cooking bible
> a
> n
> i
> s
> h
>
> c
> o
> o
> k
> i
> n
> g
>
> b
> i
> b
> l
> e

Where can I find cooking ebooks for free? Couldn't find anything on the books posted on this thread even on torrent sites.
Also, what's a good cooking book for starters? I only know the basics like cooking rice and pork

Email hearts, she'll hook you up.

#bookz

I Know How to Cook, by Ginette Mathiot.

Basically it's babby's first French cookbook (for ~85 years now) and was traditionally given to new wives, much like the Joy of Cooking, so the recipes tend to be simple, easy and home-style. I have nothing against Julia Child by any means but in Mastering the Art of French Cooking the emphasis is on the "master"; her recipe for beef bourginon has fifteen goddamn steps while Mathiot's has four.

It's an excellent cookbook from cover to cover and includes pretty much everything you could imagine, from canapes to capons to candy-making.

I scour every single bookstore I come across for cookbooks. Most of them are garbage but the ones worth keeping are often really exceptional.

Whats the point of cookbooks now days? Whenever I want to look up how to make something I just google it, or do you look through them for just ideas?

See for a real French cookbook.

I literally said that it was babby's first cookbook and was home-style cooking. It's not haute cuisine or even bistro-tier.

It's like reading an e-book vs a physical book. Some people prefer one over the other. Plus, most cookbooks (that I've owned, at least) have lots of tips and shit

Online has tons of resources, but it's still doesn't beat the feel (or the speed) of flipping pages in a physical book. Also, the internet is filled with a bunch of bullshit recipes. When you're a noob it can be hard to filter out the bullshit from the legit ones. Cookbooks from a trusted source help out in that regard.

I've often found I prefer following a recipe in paper than in my phone (no tablet, too big and clunky). Somehow I the format is better

So what in doing now is writing down recipes in the format that I want, in a sort of personal wiki, and I can nicely export them to PDF for printing. Hopefully I'll manage to make muh own personal cook book, just as I like it