Feijoada meat

I'm a bulk cooker and I try to cook new things every week. This week I'm making feijoada for my meat accompaniment. It looks like the traditional feijoada meat is ham hocks. What would you replace it with if you wanted to go with a better cut?

I would go with the ham hocks

You want a gnarly tough salty cut with a fair amount of connective tissue

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, if you feel an irresistible urge to spend money, buy some iberico de bellota hocks on the internet for $1000 and waste them on your bean stew

I wish I knew what feijoada was. I'm actually too lazy to spend 3 seconds googling it

also, ham hocks have a crazy amount of flavor and using a better cut might not get you a better dish

I'd probably do beef shanks or ox tail instead.

mexico good boy stew

went to brazilian bbq the other night, I think you could use ox tail or short rib but that's pricey now

My friend's wife who lives in Spain uses chorizo, blood sausage, pork belly and leg of pork as meats.

I'm heading to the store now to buy supplies, what's the canned equivalent of 12oz dry black beans? Also gimme suggestions and I'll post a cook-along

So let me get this straight, you're going to put already cooked beans in with the ingredients and recipe for feijoada? It's going to come out all kinds of fucked up.

It's not going to be as good for sure, but it's going to simmer for like an hour, the flavors will meddle well enough. Saves me the overnight soak time

no, the meat needs to be cooked for hours, if you do this you'll have either completely obliterated your pre-cooked beans, or your meat will be tough and inedible

that's why dry beans are used

Dude watch a video of any brazilian doing this shit. We invented it and there are plenty of good vids around. I cant help since I have never eaten this in my life :/

what if u add theem later

then you're not really saving yourself any time, but sure I guess

I also suck **MASSIVE**
C O C K
XDD

Ingredients purchased, gonna start sweating some onion and simmering the meat in broth separately, adding the beans in later

Browning before simmering. I'm just freestyling this one guys, I looked at a few recipes and it looks easy enough. Gonna concentrate on not boiling everything to mush

>no smoked pig parts
>no cured meats at all
>beef
>no oranges
it's a bit of a creative liberty to call this feijoada, but I'm sure it will be nutritious and tasty

You actually just reminded me that I had spicy soppresatta doing nothing in my fridge, so I'm crisping that now and will toss it in later

Adding the sweated onion, crisped soppresatta, jalapeño, and garlic to the meat boil. Doing it real lazy here guys. What spices should I add?

Bay leaf is pretty standard

Your beef looks nicely greyed

Threw in bay leaf, half a skinned lemon, and a small can of whole tomato

Reducing liquid then adding beans for final simmer

What do you mean by "skinned lemon"? If anything you want to throw in the peel not the actual lemon. The tomato provides enough acidity already

I mean an orange would have been better but the lemon could work I guess

Eh oh well, it's a little lemon for how much end product there will be. Beans went in, doing the final reduction and seasoning

Here it is. Bones removed and meat has been shredded a bit

And finally here's the meal prep aspect of this. 10 containers of 10oz, I'm working out the calories now. It tastes great, not quite authentic but it hits all the same notes you would hope for

That's not true at all. I make a variation of feijoada pretty regularly and always use canned black beans. Bring the pot to boil over medium-high heat, put the beans in after straining and cooked for 1-2 hours while you prep the rest of the meat/ingredients. Place all ingredients in the pot and simmer for...well, however long you want. Usually 4+ hours for me. Everything turns out fine.

Just use whatever meat you want. Ham hocks are tradition, but the point of feijoada is to be able to use whatever you have available. I like chorizo (ground or links, whichever), ground beef, and something else a little more unique....it changes frequently. Short ribs are great, but costly.

That's some chunky looking poo op looks good

You could add pig ears, they are used a lot where I live, and choriço is mandatory.
If you want to make it more substantial add some shredded cabbage and some carrots, with a bit of red wine.