Is umami a meme?

is umami a meme?

No its delicious

No, but I feel much of the discussion surrounding it is

>meme
Nope, just a chink word that means exactly the same as savory.
>sage because OP is weeb.

違う!

Why not just call it Savory? It's like if we kept insisting calling apples "pommes"

so is the consensus that the flavor is real but the name is a meme?

because everything is better in grorious nippon.

White people did not know what savory meant until more advanced asians showed them shitty broths

found the weeb who is insecure about his anime habit

what is an example of this flavor?

Mexican pizza and sour cream

Raw tomatoes
Dashi

MSG

>mexican pizza

now that is a meme

>Salty (salt etc).

Japan is the biggest meme of them all

>chocolate
>sweet
Try eating the purest chocolate you can find, now tell me how it tastes.

>meme
even /mlp/ laugh at your faggotry, Veeky Forums.

umami?
more like last night i boned ur mami lmao

Not quite, because apples are tangible. Intangible things, like concepts and feelings, generally keep the name the creator/discoverer coined for it, like umami, schadenfreude and ennui.

3/10 trying too hard

Are you a meme?

I can't say for sure, but I am drunk

So accurate it hurts

"Umami" is the non-salty, non-bitter, non-piquant flavor component of the wider "savory". You increase the savory flavor of a steak for instance by adding salt, pepper and a good sear, without much effecting the umami aspect.

>only five

Do you even kokumi.

>You increase the savory flavor of a steak for instance by adding salt
come on man
Savory still corresponds to amino like tastes you'd find in mushroom or tomatoes

This entire thread positively stinks of disgusting, weeaboo faggotry.

>says the man posting on the website owned by a japanese man created by a huge weeaboo who based the site on another japanese site created by a japanese man
boo hoo
people want to talk about things i don't like

faggot

as a shitposter who hates weebs its only natural that i would try to shit this place up as much as possible

If you hate weebs then why are you on Veeky Forums at all? Seems silly otherwise.

The theory of taste seems flawed. Reductionist approaches will never explain the complexity of subjective taste. Umami may be real after all, for some. Salty could just be the over-the-top amplified taste of your tongue. Question authority. Honour the cooking you like.

No
The "5 basic tastes" are a meme.
Chemically, flavor is complex as a golf ball Rubik's cube and we have all the receptors to match. That the five tastes don't include cooling (mint, xylotol) or piquant (chilis and peppercorns) is proof enough that it's a jape.

If we're discussing individual substances that create flavors, I'd wager that only sweet (sugars), salty (salts) and sours (acids) are the only true basic tastes, since a wide variety of substances can represent umami and bitter tastes. However, this is also fucking retarded.

tl;dr classifying tastes is difficult and basic tastes are a meme

>Veeky Forums is a website for weeaboos

>meme
Do you faggots talk like this in real life?

Aren't the five basic tastes just the different kind of receptors in your mouth. Afaik there are receptors for glutamate and similar substances, which is why umami is considered a basic taste

not including fats?

Asking if things are a meme is the only meme.

Thank you.

Yes they do.

lol at the people posting on Veeky Forums callIing other anons weebs. If you visit this website at all you are not normal and most likely a weeb

I've never seen anyone able to describe unami or savory without mentiong the other tastes in their description.

Therefore its not fundamental

yeah it seems like bullshit

meat

you lack self-awareness

What about this amazing sauce?

what's it made of?

what does fat taste like?

Mayonnaise, sriracha and secret ingredients

Can you describe any flavour without using other flavour descriptors? No, in the same way you can't describe colour.

>include cooling (mint, xylotol) or piquant (chilis and

those are affects, not taste.

Careme had isolated and codified savoury flavor essences before Japan managed to be a united nation.

science, bitch. umami is just the weeb word for savoury.

A stabilizing/emulsifying agent?

sounds like death