Am I experiencing a glitch in the matrix?

Am I experiencing a glitch in the matrix?
Have there not been four basic taste groups?
Since when is 'Umami' a basic taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoriness
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>classic image.jpg

>Since when is 'Umami' a basic taste?

Since forever. We just called it "Savory" in the western world instead.

Name changed to Umami because that's the term the Japs used when they documented proof of it's existence. They did the research so they get to name it.

>Since when is 'Umami' a basic taste?
Around the time the term was adapted to english, which was fairly recently.

Only within the last 30 years.

it's just a word azn's and fat cooking gameshow hosts use for soy sauce in their bland and flavorless cooking.

Umami has been a basic taste in Japan for centuries and they started scientifically proving it in the 1950s; the gobal scientific community accepted umami as a basic taste in the 1980s.

Savory has never been considered a basic taste, merely a flavor.
This is why we call the taste umami and not savory.

>Savory has never been considered a basic taste, merely a flavor.
>This is why we call the taste umami and not savory.

They mean the exact same thing. They're just words from different languages. Savory/Umami was always "known", but it wasn't formally proven via science until the Japanese did so. Hence why they get to name it.

>They mean the exact same thing.

They do not.
Umami describes a basic taste, the stimulation of glutamate receptors.
Savory describes a flavor, like "fruity" or "gamey".

>Savory describes a flavor

Yeah. The flavor created when the glutamate receptor is stimulated.

>>fruity
Good lord, what are you on about now? Fruity is a completely different taste from savory/umami.

What's Miami and savory?

>Savory describes a flavor, like "fruity" or "gamey".
>i have no idea what the fuck i am talking about

That's exactly the point: fruity is not and has never been a basic taste and neither has savory.

A destination city in South Florida and The International Herb Association's 2015 pick for Herb of the Yearâ„¢.

shut the fuck up

I'll stop correcting you when you stop being wrong.

Dude is right. There is no definition of savory in any dictionary which gives reference exclusively to the taste of glutamate and not also salt.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoriness

>a rich, salty flavor

Your own link disputes you: the basic taste in that descriptor is salty, not umami.

>>a rich, flavor
i can wilfully ignore words too

Sounds like it refers to the broader flavour, like that dude said.
>rich, salty, contrasted with sweetness
As opposed to umami, which refers specifically to the basic taste coming from the glutamate receptors.

"Savoury" doesn't mean the same as "umami" any more than "fruity" means the same as sweet. Savoury refers to a quality of flavour which involves a number of basic tastes.

>flavor

This only proves my point even further.

>umami is not contrasted with sweetness
whatever you say buddy

Saying savory and umami are the same because savory includes umami, is like saying salty and fishy are the same because fish tastes salty.

bitter
>flavor
salty
>flavor
sweet
>flavor
sour
>flavor

your point?

>reading comprehension
Just kill yourself.

name me an unami taste that isnt savoury or vice versa

Go back about two posts up and realize just how retarded you're being, or else admit you are baiting because you hate Japanese words.

That pic is wrong tho.

Not until you explain to me why a specific taste (umami) is the exact same thing as a flavour category (savoury) which contains it, among others.

Oh my god, kill yourself you autist.

I am unironically heartened to know even Veeky Forums has the 'tism

Because "savory" isn't a flavor category. It's a basic taste. The japs just get to name it since they proved its existence.

do you get this upset when French people eschew the word "red" for "rouge"?

This is news to you?

Geeze louise, the forced abbreviation meme must be cultivated from some other shithole and dumped here, because you're obviously new.

Savory is not a basic taste, otherwise the Japanese would never had had to scientifically prove umami's existence in the first place.

>Not until you explain to me why a specific taste (umami) is the exact same thing as a flavour category (savoury) which contains it, among others.
>answering a question with a question
ok

How can a basic taste include at least two basic tastes in salty and umami?

>Savory is not a basic taste, otherwise the Japanese would never had had to scientifically prove umami's existence in the first place.
>people never thought about the existence of a savoury taste for thousands and thousands of years until msg was discovered
right

>would never had had to scientifically prove umami's existence in the first place.

How does that not qualify it as a basic taste? It simply took longer to scientifically document than the others. We've known about it since forever, we just called it by a different word since we don't speak Japanese. If it was an English-speaking research team that identified it they'd have called it "savory" instead. It's just two different words for the same damn thing.

>savory tastes that arent salty:
tomatoes
raw beef
mushrooms
tea
your mums pus-

We never knew about it at all.
Savory is close, but we have never considered it a basic taste and even now that we know of umami, we still consider savory to be partly salty.

Savory and umami are two separate things.

In that case, my answer is no, I can't. And it still doesn't follow that they are synonymous, since I can't think of any obese people who aren't also overweight.

>obese people who aren't also overweight.

It's called "skinnyfat"

It's just another fuckin word for savory.

And demi glace

That's not always true because I'm skinnyfat and my bmi is completely in the normal range for my height.

Which proves the point.
BMI only accounts for weight, not bodyfat.
A skinnyfat person is obese, meaning they have an excess of bodyfat, but not "overweight" according to BMI.

No it would be muscular. Obese is a bmi which is simply height over weight. Skinny fat is the opposite.

Holy shit you fucking idiot you're wrong and he's right now fuck off