Cultured meat

How do you feel about meat that was grown in a lab?

Other urls found in this thread:

bitelabs.org/what
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

seems like a decent idea, in concept anyway.

Alas, I don't think it will be successful due to its extremely high cost. Of course the price will come down as production expands, but I doubt it will ever be cheap enough to compete with cheap meat.

Also, I think it's going to suck because the goal will surely be to maximize revenue. I doubt that flavor will ever be anything more than a minor concern. That's already an extant problem with our current factory-farmed meat and poultry so I don't have much faith that this will be anything different.

The price was 250k when they first made one, its down to $11.30 for a burger now.

Shouldn't be too long before it's cheaper than real beef.

If there's no more need to farm livestock, wouldn't they pretty much go instinct in the far future?

I wonder how vegans feel about this.

>Shouldn't be too long before it's cheaper than real beef.

My point is that's not very likely to happen. Beef is very cheap to produce. Will it get lower? Sure. But low enough to compete with $3/lb cheap ground meat? I doubt that.

A comparison to chicken is even worse. A typical supermarket chicken requires 6 weeks and 8 lbs of food to raise to a market weight of about 4 lbs. It's going to be nearly impossible to make "lab chicken" cheaper than that.

I like it, they could even grow it to produce fat. I'm a huge fan of synthesizing things. We shouldn't be expressly dependent on anything naturally occurring without being able to accurately replicate those same processes which allowed for it to exist to begin with.

Do you think it will change the way people consume meat? If it's cleaner and there isn't really any risk of parasites because of the way it's produced, would raw meat consumption become more common?

They won't go extinct. People will still want to buy meat from a slaughtered animal, they'll be kept in zoos/other attractions, they'll keep small herds just to have the animal cells to harvest for a starting point, etc.

They won't go extinct, and they'll definitely be treated better/respected more.

it's not real meat if it doesn't have a soul
-t. chinaman :D

can't grow tiger bones in a lab

yet

The energy requirements for lab grown beef are up to 45% less than standard farming, and produce 96% less greenhouse gases.

Unless traditional farming is even further subsidized it will take over.

The domesticated variety might. But who cares? They're man-made anyway. Nothing would be lost if they were to go exticnt.

>>what vegans would think
They probably wouldn't care.

Also, I doubt they really would go extinct. Small-time farmers and ranchers who cater to people who want top-quality meat will continue to do so, just as they do now. And other people will keep them as pets.

I doubt they'll go extinct, there will always be a demand for natural products.

Also imagine vegans wouldn't care since animals can't exactly suffer if they don't exist.

Given enough time, I think it'll be competitive. There's a lot of things that run efficiently with agriculture since it's been developed for so long, but there are still a lot of steps that would just be eliminated with cultured products.

When India becomes a super power, all the cows in the world will be protected.

>poo in loo by 2030

there's also economies of scale to consider, though. Food is cheap in very large part because it's made by dirt-poor farmers somewhere far away instead of engineers in a scrupulously cleaned lab, and changing the meat industry over to be something that happens in labs in the first world is going to involve far bigger changes and costs than just energy

that's an interesting thought: I'm guessing growing bones is a lot harder than meat, but we're probably not that far away for doing it. By growing tiger bones, ivory, etc. in a lab, it would probably bring down global costs. Which would, in turn, reduce poaching.

That is true, but I work in labs.

A cultured meat lab would need a positive pressure system, air filtration system, standard level 2 biosafety procedures maybe a centrifuge, a few light based microscopes, an autoclave or two.

It's not that expensive really and once the procedures are in place the job can be done by semi-skilled technicians who only need to be aware of standard sterile techniques.

The cost won't be as high as people think.

there'll still be places where people are too isolated/poor to afford it, so they'll keep their livestock. Also, dogs serve no real purpose these days, but we still keep them.

It could also increase poaching.

All those 'luxury' items that are poached now suddenly become more common and mainstream, more people would want them, and by extension, more people would be of the 'elite' that would pay the extra money for the real thing rather than settling for the plebeian lab grown variety.

>implying the target market wouldn't be vegans/vegetarians

This "Meat" needs other materials like fat and such. The burger they first produced only had muscle fiber. It was real lean, but apparently alright. If I owned a restaurant, this could be a selling point.

>muh climate change

When will this meme die?

just think... one day we'll all be shitting in the streets.

o beautiful... from street to shitting street!

We just need a huge epidemic of mad cow disease to deter consumers from buying actual beef and synthetic meat will be the norm, just like Arthur C. Clarke predicted.

>3 dollars
>cheap

Well hello Mr Rockefeller

once it's comparable in price to regular meat I am 100% down with it
$3/lb is cheaper than any ground beef I can find

The biggest problem will be the uniformity of it

Waay ahead of you.

If it tastes good and is nutritionally sound and safe to eat then I'm totally fine with it.

Interestingly when the scientists who grew that meat actually cooked and ate it, they said it tasted fine if not a little bland.

I wonder whether it will be this or insect farming that takes over the "protein" industry in 50 years. I'd think both would be cheaper than raising livestock though.

Holy shit I hope these guys get ground.
That's a brilliant idea.

I can see potential if any long term space missions become reality, but otherwise it'll be a while before it catches on. Once they can synthesize gourmet level beef for a lower price, then the market will really catch on.

> Making food out of cloned celebrities
> I could eat Christina Hendricks in the most literal sense
> mfw
Holy fuck where can I find this? My fetish will not wait.

Do they have to get tissue samples with muscle and fat or stem cells? Can they do it from a cheek swab or blood draw? How invasive do they need to be with the celebrities?

bitelabs.org/what

They get stem cells straight from the muscle. From there, they culture the meat in bioreactors. What's great is that once they have one sample, they can keep selling that celeb's meat forever.

Man, the future rocks!

>What's great is that once they have one sample, they can keep selling that celeb's meat forever.

Yeah, I'm not certain they can keep making it forever if they're continually making it. Do they say that somewhere? I'd love for that to be true, but it seems like they're limited in how much they can produce from a biopsy. Not a human tissue meat making expert though.

Also, I'm not going to hound celebrities to go get muscle biopsies. I've had them myself and me wanting to eat people meat isn't sufficient reason for me telling them to get their tissue punched.

>Yeah, I'm not certain they can keep making it forever if they're continually making it.
we still use cancer cells or whatever from samples like half a century ago

it's been a long time since I graduated but I believe the idea is that you basically use the first few generations to store a shit ton of frozen stock, and each individual stock is good for whatever amount of generations which can be used to produce even more stock (until it's degraded too much).

Pretty sure it's going to taste like a patty of shit senpai.

This makes me physically ill, I don't think I could stomach human meat, synthetic or not the idea is unsettling