What's Veeky Forums Cooking Right Now

What are you cooking Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

food.com/recipe/cucumber-relish-11147
youtube.com/watch?=eWrRla8GgJY&v=7OS44cPz6wA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I made Swedish meatballs for the first time today. Shit was actually pretty damn good.

It's 1am so I'm just drinking vodka and trying to pass out before I smoke all my cigarettes.

Earlier I made pic related. I made a bunch of basic tomato sauce from excess tomatoes last year and froze it. I sauteed some onion, zucchini, and yellow squash, then added the tomato sauce and some fresh basil, and tossed it up with some noodles and a little cheese.

>ingredients on a bare, filthy counter

If you're this lazy in prep then I don't think i want to suffer through the finished product

It's 2 a.m lol. My brain give no fucks at this time.

>handsome bowl for time stamp

ty user, what are you making?

Jesus Christ, does your timestamp say /b/?

What the shit are you doing...

Fried green pepper with some hardtack to give it something extra.
Tons of things kek.

I was about to ask if that was hardtack, did you soak it first at least?

yes, in a chicken broth for 15 min.

Nice nice, I've heard they're great pan fried in bacon grease after they've soaked

I wish I have bacon but chicken is always a good alternative.

Looks good famalam, just the right amount of color on the peppers etc

Why the fuck is there a \b\ on the timestamp?

Thanks
I fuck up but I was too lazy to go back and change it.

Are you poor or do you just like shelf stable foods?

:D

Nothing. I'm at work right now. I might have a gas station red hotdog when I head out to do my paper route.

They're always fun for me to eat. There is just something about it that just makes me enjoy them.

>hardtack
jesus christ i can tell you have autism why do people still dress like the 90s?

Corned beef with poached egg

They're work shoes. I drive around all day. I needed something that covered my feet and these cost 5$. I'm either barefoot, those gay vibram, or boots the rest of the time. Also I'm more or less a hermit so my autism level doesn't matter much.

Actors I haven't seen sense ground his day...

I have pomegranate muffins baking right now. I'll post a pic when I pull them out of the oven. Should just be a couple more minutes.
>2 am muffins

And, here they are. Have to let them cool for 5 min before I can take them out of the tin.

I ate a muffin, and it was the perfect before bed snack. Ahhhh, sleepytime now.

lol that's awesome.

Made some tacos with grilled chicken thighs. Topped them with a yogurt, garlic, dill, mint and jalapeno sauce. Sides were fideo and just some basic green beans.

Making pork loin with vegetable sauce. Going away for the week so need to empty the veg draw.

Going to be making a big batch of Gazpacho later this afternoon. I'll try and remember to post a pic, but since it's just a bunch of vegetables, it's not that interesting.

Rigatoni con ragù di salsiccia e burratina

Just made anticuchos de corazón. Pic related is meat from one heart. Cost me only $3. Meat tastes like a steak with 0 fat in it. As I'm living with my family for the time being since I just graduated college,

I've been trying to convince them to try it but heart just grosses them out. Got my mom to have a taste and she can't get over the texture.

My goddamn pics always get rotated here. Either W10 or Veeky Forums doesn't respect exif rotation.

Pic of finished beef heart.

Plated (like ass, because that's how I roll), with skewered veggies and potatoes.

mac demarco ?

Where do you get [what meat?] heart?

Slow cooker pork butt reheated in frying pan with kale ( no homo)

I'm about to head to the store to get some chickum and make buffalo chickum wings my ninja.

Not right now but today I made a sweet cucumber relish (followed food.com/recipe/cucumber-relish-11147 but quartered it as nobody needs 5 pints of relish) and then this evening made a couple of beef burgers to put it on: good quality beef mince, salt & peper. Panned fried, in soft white buns. I made a concession for American cheese because it's a burger (but that relish would go great with some Stilton, so I'll be doing that next time).

>heart just grosses them out

IIRC it's a little like liver? Nothing wrong with that.

I just finished stewing a head of cabbage

Some chicken soup. Can't wait for it to be done.

Veeky Forums strips all exif info to protect the retarded

how could you not debone and unskin the chicken before you put it in the broth

nigga, you retarded

I'm gonna take it out and shred it in a bit.
In my experience, it adds tons of flavor.

You're supposed to keep the bones in the soup when making broth, retards.

this retard is boiling a whole chicken, and calling it chicken soup, and claiming this boiling "adds flavor" somehow
you're defending him, so you're twice as retarded

>boiling a whole raw chicken to make soup

No one on this board actually knows how to cook, do they?

Huh, Are you not supposed to boil chicken when making soup? I'm no cullinary genius, as I barely cook, but I thought that's how you were supposed to make it.
How are you supposed to make broth if you don't add the carcass?

>If you don't make chicken soup the way my grandmother makes it then it isn't chicken soup

Okay, calm down Jacob Goldstein.

You're shitting on someone putting a whole chicken in a pot. But if he boils it for like 6-12 hours then those bones should produce a good gelatin.

And he could add aromatics for the last hour.

and he also gets stringy shitty meat devoid of all flavor in the bargain! oh boy!

>devoid of all flavor

Why, where does it go? Into the ether?

Which he could just strain out. then add whatever fresh cut he wants (if he wants any), cooked however he wants, to the broth.

Guess where the flavour went.

Why are the most vocal pessimists on this so clueless? The worst are full of passionate intensity and self-conviction.

the carcass, yes (bones and cartilage and scraps), not the entire thing
you make the stock, then you POACH meat (like for example the chicken legs you deboned earlier) in the stock, never BOIL it

>/b/
go back faggot

except he ain't doing any such thing, and you know it, and you're saying what you're saying just to be fucking contrarian
some of it goes into the soup, some is lost forever, not that factory chicken breast tastes like much to begin with

>poach
>verb
>cook by simmering in a small amount of liquid.

Do you need to go full autist and try to split the hair on "simmer" and "boil"?

Uh, yes

youtube.com/watch?=eWrRla8GgJY&v=7OS44cPz6wA

Depends on whether he covered it, and even though _some_ is lost, the vast majority goes into the soup. Because if it didn't, all soup would taste of salty water.

Exactly. The guy is obviously simmering if he's having that chicken on the hob unattended for hours.

It's amazing how something so basic a technique as used for chicken soup triggers all the bad cooks who aren't used to such things.

been there done that, but I usually go with rum

I'm just waiting for my steamed rice to cool down so I can fry it up with a fuckton of mixed veg, 'cause my freezer broke

I've had it covered for hours, I hope I did it right. In any case, after taking the skin off, the bones out and shredding the meat, the soups almost done.

poaching refers to cooking at a lower temp than that of boiling water
> for hours
there is no need to boil chicken for hours, in fact this makes chicken into stringy inedible shit
15-20 minutes at 85 C is more than enough (and yes, it's also enough to kill salmonella, for the ameridumbs in the audience)

you are such a fucking pleb
enjoy your salty water and your cardboard-tasting strings of former chicken muscle I guess

>Do you need to go full autist and try to split the hair on "simmer" and "boil"?
>Yes. Yes I am.

>there is no need to boil chicken for hours

Okay, but, what if he was *simmering* it for hours? You know, like if he was making a soup?

>in fact this makes chicken into stringy inedible shit
We went over this already, it adds flavour and you can strain out the stringy solids. Also cut out the nationalist chauvinism.

It's not like it was on a rolling boil for 6 hours, I simmered it with the lid on.

Just made a steak salad. Just some spring mix with cherry tomatoes, chuck steak, and a sweet chili lime vinegarette I made.

it's still wrong, you lose flavor the longer you simmer, even with a covered pot
>nationalist chauvinism
amerilards are (somewhat rightfully) afraid of contaminated meat. this is objective fact, not chauvinism
you still dunked a whole chicken in water, pleb

>it's still wrong

Okay.

You should try making chicken soup some day. Just a suggestion.

thai' style curry

Well, I only simmered it for 3 hours.
How would YOU make a chicken soup?

>it's still wrong, you lose flavor the longer you simmer, even with a covered pot
Completely wrong. The water is gaining more flavour from the chicken than it is losing through heat. Do you have any idea how long it takes to properly cook bones?

Goddamn, who's the autist who can't get over someone simmering a whole chicken? Fuck.....

Anyway, I was going to say, that my method when I want to use a whole chicken for soup is to part the chicken out (remove the breast and thigh meat, and leg meat if the chicken legs are meaty enough) but leave the whole wings and the legs if they are scrawny. Then I simmer the carcass with aromatics till the all the fat and meat has fallen off. Then, I strain the broth, and take the bones and roast them in a very hot oven until they've browned, then I crack the bones and put them back in the pot with the stock and more aromatics and keep simmering for quite a while.
I know some people will sperg out and call me an autist or whatever for my method, but IDGAF, it makes a crazy good, rich stock, full of gelatin.

Having some leftover chicken breast for dinner. What should I pick up to make for a side?

I make chicken soup sometimes and it goes like this:
> brown bones and skin
> sautee mirepoix
> add water and boil
> bring to simmer and clarify with egg/greens mix
> carefully drain and strain stock, discard solids
> boil any added vegetables, dumplings, pasta, whatever in the stock, seasoning to taste
> lower heat, poach meat
> add any further dressings (like cream)
> check again for seasoning
WA LA

Great. That isn't the one, singular, and absolutely only way to make it, though. You do realise that, right?

A stockpot, simmering water, later put on pot lid.

Put the main atop this and let rest for a few hours.

> how long it takes to properly cook bones?
15 minutes in the oven at 200?
oh wait you meant how long for stock
three hours minimum
but of you're boiling the whole thing, then you probably won't get to extract any flavor from the bones, at least not until the meat literally falls apart

Sounds cool. I'll have to try that out when I have more time.

Careful with that, autists in this thread will tell you that this ruins the chicken.

yes, I do realize this
in fact using brown stock is a bit unusual for chicken soup
the fact remains that it's a bad idea to just boil a whole chicken. it's just wasteful, flavor-wise

Please leave me out of whatever autistic back and forth is going on here.

Why not just poach the veg with the meat? They'll be too soft by that point.

Those muffins look processed meat in the thumbnail.

Glad someone said it.

depends on the veg, of course
if I am adding fennel for example, I'm going to boil it first
celery stems too, if they're thick
potato needs to boil to taste good imo
beetroot
I could probably go on, but you get the idea

>the fact remains that it's a bad idea to just boil a whole chicken

Sure, but what if you simmer a whole chicken?

Oh and by the way, a whole bunch of very old chicken soup recipes use a whole chicken.

> but what if you simmer a whole chicken?
you still don't extract all, or even most, of the flavor from the bones
> a whole bunch of very old chicken soup recipes use a whole chicken
people did all sorts of stupid things way back when they were less informed. so?

Fried yellow squash. Coated with flour, fried in butter, and seasoned with black pepper, PHS, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Delicious.

HA, I thought the same thing after I took the picture. But that's because they're pomegranate muffins, so it turned them pink, plus the bad lighting (it was 2 am, what do you expect?). They taste great though. They were a great breakfast with my Yorkshire tea this morning, and I'll have them again tomorrow morning as well.
Next time, I'm making Blueberry-Mandarin oat muffins, but that won't be until next week. I make one batch of muffins a week.

>I know better than hundreds of years of accumulated knowledge.

Okay.

>yorkshire tea
Eww. In other words, Kenyan piss.

Local butcher. It's beef heart.

Tastes like steak to me, genuinely. Steak with 0 fat in it.

and why not?
thousands of years of accumulated bullshit tell you you should fear a bearded man who lives in the sky
doesn't make it true, or even useful

That hundreds of years of accumulated knowledge also includes letting go of older methods in favor of better methods.

This is referred to as, "wisdom", kid.