Each State's Most Distinctive Cuisine

As determined by Yelp Analysis:
huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/14/most-popular-cuisine-state_n_6457252.html

>Yelp figured out which cuisines were most common in each state by examining restaurant listings on its site. The review service uses information pulled by third-party data providers from public records and other sources in order to create its online restaurant listings, according to its website.

>To get the data for the map, Yelp first calculated the percentage of total restaurants each cuisine represented in a given state. Then, it compared each percentage with the cuisine’s representation in restaurants nationwide.
Notice anything Veeky Forums?

Get your shit together Colorado

"Kosher" isn't really a kind of food though, any more than "Traditional American". It obviously means something very specific to certain people, but on a large scale it's completely meaningless.

I'm surprised "vegan" isn't there for any of the states; in my experience it's quite a bit more popular than going out for steak, let alone hot dogs.

Am Minnesota, see panniculus often. One just moved in below me.

Virginian reporting in. I live in the most populated area, Hampton roads and never see any Peruvian restaurants anywhere. There's plenty of Mexican and Tex mex places though.

Peruvian cuisine for VA? That's pretty surprising, though I did try it once.

It was really good and I'd recommend it.

Ok, now I'm looking at the rest of the map. How the fuck are steak, foodstands, gastropubs, pizza, soup, or fucking buffets fucking cuisines the same way a regional cuisine is? What the flying f
>huffpost
ok I should have expected this

>utah
>Hawaiian
Kek was not expecting that.

I live in Va.

There's like 8 different peruvian pollo y brasa places withing pissing distance.

this is the data being extrapolated from their listing on their website, you have to extract the data and think critically...

Kosher is a tag you'd throw on a restaurant though and that was the most common tag in the state for the yelp website....

>think critically
does thinking "wow huffpost sucks" count

How is CT not pizza?

Fucking Huffington Post

>MFW Maine is "seafood"
>mfw Massachu-chu is "Portuguese"

I'm so glad I did not grow up in stupid shitty New Bedford but goddamn if I could get some Portuguese seafood in my backyard that would be rad

God dammit, Colorado. I blame the faggot transplants

>CT
>Pizza

>Cheesesteaks
>Hotdog
>Pizza
>Steak
>Soup

Those are "cuisines"? I thought those were food items.

>MA, RI, NJ
>Portuguese

As a moustache, this intrigues me. What does their "Portuguese" food look like?

>Hawaii
>Hawaiian

You don't say

Cheesesteak here

Feels good man

What the fuck, Oklahoma?

As a Virginia that Peruvian food must be some shit shit thats just popular in DC. I've never had nor have I ever even seen a restaurant that serves it

Vietnamese... sounds about right. There are pho shops in every town in my neck of the woods.

>Texas' hat
>Copies Texas

What the fuck did you expect? Oklahoma's entire identity is its proximity to Texas, kind of like New Jersey is to New York.

>source: yelp
Oh, that's why it's shit.

It's mainly Azorian, so think that

>WI: Traditional American
I was going to call bullshit but then I remembered I live in a college town and even then half of it is burgers and brats

DC: Belgian

So waffles and fries?

>buffets for mn
But they're all closing down in my area.

This is "most restaurants of ___ variety in comparison to the natural average in a given state" i'm assuming.

Pretty surprised that Illinois is Pakistani considering everything in Chiraq is either Italian, Asian or Polish. (not counting niggers of course)

I've lived in VA my whole life and I think I've seen one Peruvian place. We have a fuckload of Mexican restaurants, maybe I'm just retarded and they're Peruvian?

We'll pretty much appropriate anything in California if it'll put asses in booths/chairs

I've lived in Illinois my entire life, and I've never even seen a Pakistani restaurant. Plenty of Indian, but no Pakistani.

>...
>....
Stop doing that

Portuguese?

Isn't Devon street full of pakis?

This - it's tasty try it you silly Italian

Jk Italians are okay

>GLUTEN FREE
>MFW

You're right, but it's one street in one city in the state. I guess there's so few Pakistani restaurants in other parts of the country that the methodology used makes Pakistani food seem a lot more popular than it is here.

When pakistanis come to america it is usually because they have advanced degrees, not cookery skills. And if they are going to a 1st world country they prefer to go to UK or UAE

In NYC, Shitcago, Texas and Cali are basically where they all are

You mean Jew York, Shitcago, Mexas, and Commiefornia

idk, man. Lots of Pakistani cabbies in NYC.

well for comparison's sake the UK has twice as many pakis but is 1/5th the population of the USA

Pakistani food is almost indistinguishable from North Indian Muglai cuisine (i.e the common curries and kebabs you think of when you think of """Indian""" cuisine), so most Paki's just call their restaurants Indian, because its less threatening in the west, where Pakistan has a horrible reputation.

t.Paki Chef working in an """Indian""" restaurant

How do IndoPak restaurants turn dishes out so quickly? I grew up with homestyle Bengali food, and, while veg torkaris cook fairly quickly, meat dishes take a fuck long time.

This is terrible

I live in San Francisco and I've never even seen a Taiwanese restaurant

Totally inaccurate. I bet some flunky high schooler created that.

theres like 2 on geary, 1 on balboa, 3 in china town. but yeah I dont think SF is embracing taiwanese cuisine since it kind of sux

You make a large quanity at the same time. Most curries are cooked in massive pots and kept at a low heat throughout the whole service. This would be bad practice in most western cuisines, but Indian/Paki food culture is different and the style of food and cooking permits that. Im sure every South Asian has that one aunt who cooks one curry or biriyani for what seems like hours.

In addition, most workers are illegals who work fast because they know the boss could fire them at a minutes notice with zero reprucussions.

Yep, that's about right for TX. shitty mediocre tex mex restaurants on every corner.

Fake and gay.

>lived in jersey all my life
>never even heard of portugese food, let alone seen a restaurant for it

ITALIAN OR GO HOME
IF THEY SAY JERSEY IS ANYTHING BUT ITALIAN FOOD THEY'RE WRONGFAGS

WTF are you talking about? I live in Arlington. Tex-Mex is a non regularity. BBQ is everywhere.

I've never in my life seen a Vietnamese restaurant here in Washington.

it's all relative, that's the methodology, For instance del taco in LA is called tex mex but in New Jersey it is "Mexican." A lot of americans don't know the difference and it is more pronounced the further away you get from Texas. Meanwhile everybody knows exactly what BBQ is so it doesn't suffer the same labeling issues

>wisconsin - traditional american
>ohio - soup

These have to be the most flyover states of them all.

California, Alaska, and Utah always surprise me. I've been through Utah probably a dozen times and had no idea they have an inordinate amount of Hawaiian restaurants.

There's a fuckton of them in Seattle

Oh, I try to avoid Seattle as much as I can.

>Michigan
>Mideastern
Not entirely wrong, as we do have a ton of Chaldean/Muslim immigrants here, but it'd be more appropriate to say Mediterranean, as there are at least as many Greek places as there are Arab. Hell, there are at least 4 or 5 Coney Islands within a few miles of where I love, not to mention all the other Greek places under a different brand. They really ought to just call the category "Lamb" and call it a day.

t. Michigander

>they have an inordinate amount of Hawaiian restaurants
So you stopped in SLC and are now an expert on Utah cuisine, right?

GTFO

wise. the traffic is unbearable right now

>reading comprehension

It's pretty clear MI has a lot of arabs if you live in detroit

There's lots of cool stuff there but it's just such a hassle. I couldn't imagine living there.

That happens regionally all the time. In some parts of the country people distinguish between Italian-American and Italian food, in other places people aren't aware there is a difference. In Latin-Caribbean neighborhoods in NYC the old timers refer to Puerto Rican and Dominican food as "Spanish food", even though there are many actual Spanish restaurants in the city. And depending on where you live Southern food might just be called Southern, Low Country, Soul Food or just food. And the Traditional American food eaten in WI is almost always referred to by the locals as "normal food".

DISPROPORTIONATELY POPULAR NOT MOST POPULAR YOU TARDS LEARN 2 READ

There's a foodstand area like 10 minutes walk distance or 2-3 min drive from my apartment. Shits awesome.

Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, American, etc (was only interested in the Indian place tbqh) foods.

Peruvian food is fine

They eat Guinea pigs tho, some say that even pigeons are on the menu

>The huffington post

>some say that even pigeons are on the menu

Pigeons were introduced to America as a source of food...

Yay diversity !

I didn't realize that this tweet was supposed to be in praise of huffpost because I noticed they were all white before I noticed they were all women

>all those macs
white women are such a meme it is ridiculous

JUST

>live in illinois
>millions of mexicans
>somehow pakistani wins

what the fuck chicago

I'm curious to know what is considered Irish in that one state.

>buffet
>a type of cuisine
hoohohohohhoho top kek only in america

>philly fags skewing pennsylvania results

pierogies all the way you jag offs, adding cheese to meat isnt rocket science pholidelphia you dont deserve even a sticker for figuring that out

Montana here, should be elk tbqfh

it's the state food of Nevada

Md does have some amazing Peruvian chicken, especially in the DC area

>hotdog
>buffets
>gluten free

Kill yourselves

t.
texas

feels bad, man

This image always pisses me off. I've lived in a bunch of different states and have a pretty good sense of the food scene in a few of them.

First of all, California is a huge state, and fish tacos are pretty much a SoCal/San Diego thing.

Ahi poke for Hawaii is also just based on poke recently becoming a trend. Spam musubi, or just Spam, would be a better choice. As would a kalua pork plate lunch, or just plate lunch in general. Even just putting "fresh fish" would make more sense. For a long time I was always confused when people would say that all the sushi/fish you eat in the US was previously frozen, because growing up in Hawaii I remember eating fish all the time that was supposedly just caught that morning on a small fishing boat that at most would have thrown it in a cooler on top of some ice. Only recently did I realize that Hawaii is the only state that allows restaurants to serve fresh fish without it first being thoroughly frozen.

And then there's fucking Rhode Island. Maybe for people who grew up there frozen lemonade is a childhood memory, but it's just a sickly sweet lemon slushy. They have a distinct Italian-American cuisine, a huge Portuguese food scene, coffee milk, hot wieners, and above all else, fucking clams. They are the clam state, be it stuffies or fried clams, which originated from there. There's a reason the town in Family Guy is named after a type of clam.

surprised about cali desu. taiwanese food is pretty based

>the further you get from Texas
I'm pretty sure Mexicans living in SE San Diego aren't in the habit of confusing your horrible «queso» with actual food, "pardner"

>Mexicans know what Mexican food is

wow you're really teaching us a lot thanks for the post m8 quality contribution 10/10 would read again

>fat white Texan thinks American == Anglo

Wisconsin confirmed most american state

Yeah, fellow WA user here, that seems pretty legit. That shit is everywhere.

I love pho so no complaints I guess.

>Illinois
>not ' '

Chicago is a small corner of the state.

Guess what! Illinois also invented the corn dog. It's bullshit map just designed to provoke discussion, just like 90% of everything on the internet that some asshole got $30 to throw together in order to garner traffic for 3 days.

I blame the stoners that think marijuana is actually healthy and garlic and turmeric will prevent cancer and all disease and dying.

Singapoor here. Teach me your biriyani recipes.

and diners.

Is there anything special about an all you can eat buffet in Vegas that sets it apart from buffets in the rest of the states?

I disagree with Pennsylvania, it's like they only ever go to Philadelphia when they say stuff like that. PA has a lot more than that extension of new Jersey

Hooker density per square mile

WIDF confirmed for only eating tater tots tendies, and, when directed to do so by a physician, lime jello "salad" to finally be healthy

Where in the Hampton roads ?
Virginia beach here.

why the fuck is ohio soup

we don't have a distinctive soup, we don't even like soup

north east ohio would be eastern euro stuff, dunno about the rest

Alaska is pino? huh?