Tuna question

Why canned tuna should I buy?

I checked the ingredients. The fish seems to be the same - "Tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis)".

The only thing that seems to vary is if the tuna is in oil vs water vs tomato juice or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v7yAZ9P0kdI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None of it. For whatever reason, once tuna is canned it goes from god-tier fish to cat food.

very funny user

He's right

Canned tuna in the trash or cat bowl

This

Tuna is one of the best tasting fish in the ocean, turned into one of the cheapest most bland pieces of shit you can buy in a can

Buy it fresh you fucking idiot

I have 1 mackerel head-spine-tail to use in a soup? How much water could i get away with using that it wouldnt be a waste of time?

I was being serious, user. I eat just about anything: wierd asian fermented condiments. cheese that smells like a dead man's feet. blood sausage. organ meats. but canned tuna is fucking foul. the smell alone is enough to put me off my food for a while.

That's not a whole lot. The standard recipe for stocks (fish included) is 8 lbs of bones/scraps yields 1 gallon. Scale down as needed.

>Disagreeing with the entire world, including world renowned chefs and food scientists.

Why be so edgy?
Canned tuna is the best version of tuna. It is literally the only food to get better with canning.

I'll just leave it and save up then.

Also why use fucking imperial measurements when it's a simple 1:1 ratio in metric?

>Also why use fucking imperial measurements when it's a simple 1:1 ratio in metric?

Because this board seems to be frequented with mostly Americans, and because the math to convert between the two is trivially simple as you just pointed out.

Idk if its the best tuna, but it can be tasty. I prefer pouched tuna, in water. Tuna melts are the tits on some fresh bread with tomato, pickles, and onions.

Is Mercury poisoning legit or a meme? Tuna is the biggest cocktease because it's pretty much perfect for weightlifting and i would literally eat it all day if not for the threat of Mercury poisoning.

youtube.com/watch?v=v7yAZ9P0kdI

Make your own, damn it!

Eating it multiple servings everyday over several years could lead to health problems later in life. A few times a week as part of a balanced diet and you'll be fine. Assuming your not a female who is pregnant.

polar makes the best quality canned tuna, for the price ,i've found.
the cheap stuff is usually made with a broth and all soggy and mushy. idk why they add all this liquid, making it all soggy and falling apart.

Mackerel gets better with canning too.

Most skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis, which is the species most commonly used for canning) is low to moderate in mercury. Specifically, most canned tuna these days is around 0.05 mcg/g mercury, which means that an adult male eating one can of tuna a day would stay below the conservative tolerable intake limit for mercury of 0.1 mcg/kg/day. The more liberal intake limit of 1.3 mcg/kg/week translates to roughly 0.2 mcg/kg/day which means that 2 cans of tuna a day may be considered just borderline acceptable.

Of course in all cases this assumes consumption of no other fish.

Fresh/frozen/sushi tuna typically contains 5 to 10 times as much mercury as canned.

>Why be so edgy?
If preferring fresh tasty food to canned cheap flakes is edgy then I'll be off to myspace

You're delusional or shitposting and I don't care which

Be a man and buy sardines

Thanks m8s, i feel like i've read in some places that the recommended is only about a can a week, which kinda spooked me considering i go hard af at the sushi buffet

Why would a sushi buffet be serving canned fish? that makes no sense.

pretty sure starkist is the best of the canned tunas unless you're buying some organic shit thats 3x the price

My man, I just stated that tuna used in sushi contains 5-10 times as much mercury, but it can be as much as 20 times more in some cases. In other words, one good serving of tuna sushi would be enough to put you over the mercury limit for a good 2-3 week

I got into sardines for a while . Smellier than tuna but still good. I started on Beaxh CLiff which was bone-in, upgrades to king czar brand or whatever and haven't looked back

This has been the best canned tuna I've found yet, and it's reasonably priced. (Besides some more expensive olive oil packed fillets that I save for special dishes)
But the main differences in canned tuna is
1. what type of tuna (yellowfin, albacore, etc)
2. where it was caught and processed
3. how it was caught; try and buy pole caught tuna (if you care even a little about the health of the ocean and keeping our food supplies safe, blah blah blah, I know I'm getting off my soapbox now)

Anyway, I find yellowfin tuna to have the best flavor, so that's what I buy.

Sardines are an awesome sub for tuna (it's me again.) I make a mean sardine pasta topping.
Also, white anchovies, which are bigger, meatier, and more mild than regular anchovies, and are eaten much like sardines. (I eat these a lot)
Also, people always act like canned mackerel is bad, but if you're making fish cakes/patties, mackerel is fucking awesome. And it's cheap.
Of course, there's canned boneless, skinless salmon that you can use instead of tuna, but they charge out the ass for it (but it is delicious).

I haven't eaten tuna since the fukushima accident.

Why? Did you think the area around Fukushima was a normal canned fishing area, or did you read the damn cans and realize that is not true?

The Japanese have a bad track record when it comes to nuclear technology.

damn this seafood 'go style 'za looks tasty as hell!