Last night's prawn curry, anyone interested?

Last night's prawn curry, anyone interested?

>brown off a diced red onion over heat
>when they start to colour add about a tablespoon each of ginger and garlic pastes
>a couple brown cardamoms and whole cloves and a teaspoon of black mustard seeds

*high heat

>when mustard seeds crackle add...
>1tsp ground tumeric
>1tsp ground red chilli powder
>1tsp ground corriander
>1/2 tsp ground cumin
>1/2 tsp garam masala
>a couple twigs of curry leaves
>stir and cook till fragrant

people lurking? might not bother if theres no interest

Veeky Forums is a slow board, you gotta give it time. It looks good pretty far.

Lurking

fuck I wish I could smell that

Are you doing all that in a wok?

>prawn

Yeah, its good for fast curries

chucked in about a cup of coconut cream and some water to thin it out, and a green chilli i split lengthways. Also added a cap full of white vinegar.

Let it simmer whilst I prepped the prawns

Just got six prawns; they were pretty large

fresh strayan black tiger prawns. took the shells off but left the head on for added flavour and incase I felt like sucking the heads

covered the prawns in the sauce, put the lid on and cooked them for about 5mins, stiring half way through

Did you pierce the shells to get some flavor underneath the shell?

whacked the heads with the back of a knife

for some reason added some token baby spinach to the curry and stirred it through. When it was sufficiently wilted chucked a handful of roughly chopped corriander leaves and a sliced green chilli.

Checked salt levels before serving over boiled rice. Forgot to take a photo of the eat

Making goat curry tonight; found some for cheap at my local supermarket. Will post photos if theres interest

yes please
I want to know how goat is cooked

just finished, will post the photos soon

great thread, I've only had prawn curry a few times usually prefer veg or beef/lamb (fellow aus cu/ck/ here and we have some pretty fuckin quality lamb and beef)

I might give this recipe a try soon, did you have this recipe yourself or you got from online etc?

I've got into cooking indian curries a couple years ago - started with recipes but now I have a fairly good grasp on spice combos/techniques and don't refer to them. Did a sword fish curry a number of months back, and the sauce for this was based on my memory of that curry which in itself was a combination of a handful of recipes.

GOAT curry time.

Started with a quick fry of a sliced small brown onion. When it browned sufficiently I added a few black cardamoms (I called these brown cardamoms earlier), 4 or 5 whole cloves and whole black peppercorns. Tempered these spices in the hot oil with the onions until fragrant (was mainly the small of the cardamom)

*smell of cardamom

Drained the onions/spices on some paper towel, before adding to about a cup of natural yoghurt. To this I added about 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, garam masala, ground tumeric, salt and freshly ground corriander powder.

1/2 a teaspoon of ground cumin and ground cinnamon (normally wouldve used a stick which would have gone in with the onions but I didnt have any)

A pinch of asofetida (optional), and green cardamom powder

Is this garam masala something you bought pre mixed?

Heres the goat meat - this is some deboned shoulder. As you can see its pretty sinewy and needs low and slow cooking for a long time. Also not pictured was some cross-cut shank meat with a nice amount of marrow

I cut the shoulder into ~2inch pieces

premixed from my local indian grocer

marinaded the goat in the yoghurt for a couple hours. Ideally wouldve done it overnight but this was a last moment thing

Fried off half a large diced red onion over high heat with the 2 green chillies split lengthways + 1/2tsp of nigella seeds ( i think theyre onion seeds)

*Not pictured* I added in some more spices to the onions: a few whole green cardamoms, 1tsp of smoked paprika, ground cumin/corriander, and garam masala.

1/4tsp ground clove
pinch of ground nutmeg

fried the spices for a tad before adding some tomatoes. Something I learnt was to put them through a box grater to avoid getting the skin in. Slice the top off them so the teeth of the grater grip them.

The tomatoes were shit and artificially ripened things but ohwell.

fuck forgot that a tablespoon of ginger and garlic pastes were in the marinade

christ man that is a fuckton of aromatics

fried the tomatoes over high heat until the oil began to separate

that's indian cuisine for you

There's a bit of meat, but at the same time nothing is worse than a bland curry. So with practice I've learnt that its normal to reinforce the flavours.

Chuck the meat in; the yoghurt should start to split when it reaches temperature again which is what you want, you probably cant tell from the picture though. I fried it for about about 10mins, stirring often to prevent sticking.

Added in some water just so that the meat was barely covered, put the lid on and cooked over low flame for roughly 3 hours stirring now and then.

I've done slow-cooked beef/lamb/goat curries before in the oven and they turn out really nice. I use the same heavy cast iron pot but I can't quote temperatures and times for you as it's been some time since ive done so. I assume it'd be about the same times/temps for any usual casserole type thing

3 hours in and the meet pulls away from the bone and the shoulder meat is tender. I added in some 1.5-2cm thick sliced Desiree potatoes (they're our all rounders in Australia). Put the lid back on and cooked for another ~20mins on low flame.

After the 20mins had elapsed I removed the the lid and upped the heat and cooked until the sauce had thickened. At this stage it catches quite easily on the bottom of the pot so I payed close attention for the next 5-10mins, being careful not to break up the potatoes when stirring.

top with chopped corriander leaves and its done

have you considered tossing the meat in first before all the aromatics to get a nice sear going?

not the OP but it's important to add spices first in Indian curries to release all the fragrances, then slowly cook the meat in that fragrant sauce for flavour

also:OP, where did you learn this kind of cooking? was it self-taught? cause I've taught myself Indian style cuisine also but you're much more experienced than I am

I dont think it's something that's commonly done with wet curries. I have done it in the past but in the end I found it didn't add anything noticeable to the final product. Also if the meat is marinated in yoghurt beforehand it can develop a bitterness that isn't nice if too much colour develops

forgot to mention a tablespoon of white vinegar mixed in prior to serving

It's all been self taught, Rick Stein's India series changed my approach to Indian cuisine quite a lot.

As i mentioned in an earlier post I began with recipes which I would adapt/merge etc and now its pretty much second nature - If I have a specific style of curry in mind I'll just do what seems right and 9 times out of 10 it turns out pretty well.

Looks delicious.

I think what he's saying is why not sear the meat first, then remove the meat, then add spices to release the fragrances?

Although, that said, I prefer the flavour of unseared meats in many stews because I feel it can hide the fragrance of the meat itself.

good thread user

I catch what youre throwing. Never thought about it really, didn't come across it in the recipes I looked at so it's something I've never felt the need to do.

That said I sear chicken (if not marinated in yoghurt) just as a matter of personal preference. But chicken curries tend to be 30-45min jobs so it makes sense to do so on a flavour basis.

thanks m80

Prawn curry looks great, might have to give it a try. Thanks OP.

>Rick Stein's India series

My man.

Ate some very plainly seasoned chicken and mushrooms because I'm lazy. This thread is helping me work up the enthusiasm to make some curry soon.

measurements aren't going to be entriely correct as I add spices by sight so theres a little leeway.

Get the sauce right before you add the prawns in; tumeric is probably the only spice not to tinker with, and garam masala is the safest.

they're pretty easy once you get the hang of them

One day I might do from scratch butter chicken and post here

Yeah, I used to do fairly slapdash curries on a regular basis. Next on my list is making Palak Paneer.

I posted less than 30 times since 4channing in 2008.

I'm enjoying your thread while eating breakfast, internet stranger

what do you mean

>I have done it in the past but in the end I found it didn't add anything noticeable to the final product.
this is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know
thanks user