What's the point of cooking?

What's the point of cooking?

Is it really worth 30~40 minutes of effort for one meal?

>Is it really worth 30~40 minutes of effort for one meal?
only if you think so

Yes

That's the time it takes to make 2 or 3 of my meals. If you don't count shopping.

You're trying to tell me that you count the time it takes for the food itself to cook as "effort" on your part? Are you powering the damn thing with an exercise bike or summat?

Yeah, OP, you make it out like cooking is hard labor.

you still need to prep the ingredients and wash the dishes afterwards which comes out to about an hour lost every day. considering that there are 24 hours in the day and 10 of those hours is spent on work + commuting, it's an extremely frustrating thing to think about.

Some of us enjoy it. It's the same as woodworking or gardening or any other hobby. If you don't like it and find it a chore then I could see why you might not think it was worth it.

im not a wagecuck though

- lower cost
- higher quality

But if your time is more scarce than your money, by all means, pay someone to cook for you, whether it's a personal chef or a corporation.

For a lot of poorfags though, only way to eat well, is to cook from scratch.

I usually cook at least 3 portions, sometimes 4 or 5, and refrigerate anything I don't eat. I assume most people do that. So the time investment is small, I only cook up to 4 times a week usually (and that's with very rarely eating uncooked or processed food including bread)

Also, there is a ton of food you can cook in a microwave, virtually all vegetables, potatoes, most starches like rice, cornmeal, oats, buckwheat, barley, millet... jam all of that shit in a microwave and relax, that's why it pays off to buy a big ass microwave with an integrated grill/oven.

The only thing I rarely cook is raw animal foods, I only eat 1-2 servings of animal food a day so I just buy canned/processed and use it as a quick garnish with veggies/starches taking center stage. That saves quite some times (although of course it isn't cooking)

salaried jobs are 8 hours a day and often require you to commute to the metropolis. being a wagecuck has nothign to do with it.

Cooking is half the joy of eating, food prep is extremely relaxing to me, and the anticipation of seeing your food cook before you eat it just makes it taste better imo. Plus when you cook something yourself you can cater to your tastes more specifically. If I eat too many meals in a row that don't involve cooking I feel lazy and like I don't deserve to be eating. Plus as a Veeky Forumsizen, diet and thinking about my diet is a large, important part of my daily routines, so if I just scarf something down no prep then I feel like I've jipped myself of part of the joy of food.

Also, some people enjoy cooking as a hobby.

so
>lower cost
>higher quality
>enjoyable for some people

I lose my appetite when I cook. My granny was the same way. She wouldn't eat until everyone had been fed, and all the dishes were done. There's a saying to go with it: "the best meal is the one you didn't have to cook."

Also there's the "don't want to see how the sausage gets made" part of cooking. If you have standards, then it's easy to get discouraged if it didn't go exactly how you wanted. I see too many flaws.

I bought a smoker two summers ago, and that's more my style. Sit on the back porch with a pitcher of tea, and keep an eye on the fire. I just serve it with potato salad from the deli and some pickle and onion slices. I finally get to enjoy eating with everyone else.

when someone on 4chin says "wagecuck" they mean having a job at all, not just a non-salaried job. He means he doesn't have to spend 40-50 hours a week commuting and working.

Some people derive a basic pleasure from preparing food for themselves and others, some people can't afford to eat out for every meal. Some people can't cook or afford to eat out, so just eat frozen/instant/microwave food, and many people would kill themselves in that situation.

nope, thats why you cut corners

get a dishwasher

For me it's first a matter of economics. Cooking my own meals costs me a quarter of what going out to eat would be.

Then it's the fun of cooking. It's my hobby, and I enjoy it. I look forward to it every day.

Finally there's the element of having control over what I eat. I'm trim and reasonably healthy because I cook food that is satisfying to eat yet not likely to make me fat. The few times in my life when I got lazy about cooking on a daily basis and just went out to eat all the time were the times I started getting fat. It seems most restaurant food (in America, at least) is designed for fat people, and I don't want to join their ranks.

What's the point of sex? Is it really worth 3-4 hours of effort for one baby?

You mean 2 minutes of effort and 178 minutes of disappointment, crying, shame, and apologies?

I think you misunderstand. I think by effort he means time. Think about it, if you enjoy cooking the time is worth it, but if you don't you might find that time better spent elsewhere.

try not cooking, couple years you will be happy to cook.

Even both in my NEET and wagekek parts of my life I enjoyed cooking. You're a fuck up OP im sorry

Part of it is organization. I know disorganized home cooks who take an hour to make a meal I could do in half that time. When I put an hour into making a meal it's going to be several dishes.

5 to ten minute prep
2-3 minutes clean.
And depending in the dish that can be all the time I need to actively pay attention to it.

I've yet to figure out any way to eat something that isn't bland bullshit rice topped with one egg without spending 3x the cost of getting a sandwich somewhere

Just so you know
Animal food the word you are looking for is meat. Not to be confused with meet. Which isn't even a remotely similar word.

That's because in order for cooking to be cheap you have to be in the rhythm of doing it all the time. If every time you set out to cook you have to go out first and buy every single ingredient you need cooking is expensive. If your kitchen and larder are well stocked because you regularly cook each individual shopping trip is cheap, because the ingredients get used for a bunch of meals instead of just one or two.

I cook every day for two people, and my food cost for four meals (two lunches and two dinners) rarely breaks $10, and is often $5. Dried beans are cheap as fuck.

It's fun sometimes. I like the idea of cooking. It's also really the only time I get to try new food because I don't like eating out.

But most of the time, just eating at all is a huge pain in the ass. I'd rather buy future food, but it's not particularly affordable yet.

look at it as a kind of meditation. and yes.

>The only thing I rarely cook is raw animal foods

WTF? are you eating cans of dog food? bc it sounds like you're eating cans of dog food senpai

>My granny was the same way. She wouldn't eat until everyone had been fed, and all the dishes were done

Your grandmother was a fucking idiot. Sit down and eat with everyone else, then delegate someone else to do the dishes. Or just do the dishes after you eat. What a fucking moron. I'm glad she's dead.

>scale
I'm more likely to cook something proper if I have someone else to cook for. Too bad that other person can't cook well.

Italian? That sounds like an Italian grandmother.

I have an older friend whose grandma came over on the boat with Valentino. When she was on her deathbed the family gathered around her. Over their protests she got out of bed, and went to the kitchen where she proceeded to make dinner for everyone. After they ate she cleaned up the dishes, went up to her bed and fucking died.

This did not actually happen.

I heard it from two of her grandsons and their mother, so I have no reason to doubt it. People dying slowly over a period of time sometimes get one last burst of energy right before the end comes.

I still miss getting a taste of the sausage she'd smoke in her chimney every year. But I did get her red sauce recipe, which involves pork neck bones and a pressure cooker.

Bro if you really want a taste of the sausage she'd put in her chimney, I'll give you my address, drop trou, and you can go to town. And while there was red sauce involved sometimes, that was only once a month so it was tolerable.

Depending on your diet....cooking is a necessary evil.

It makes some types foods available that you can't buy.

If you go low-carb, cooking is the only way to have certain types of food.

I get you OP.

I've been cooking for a long time and I find it that I enjoy eating more when someone else puts in the work. Sometimes I'll go hungry because I don't feel like spending an hour of my day cooking.

Yeah, acne.

Depends. Most of the time cooking is a fun process even if you fuck it up in some way. Just do dishes along the way. I also bought a TV and installed it in the kitchen so I can watch listen to some shitty letsplay at the same time. Good stuff.

Translation:
"I'm a useless piece of shit leech that lives off of your tax dollars"