Are truffles overrated?

Are truffles overrated?

is gold?

yes. theyre also a great way for uncreative chefs to make their dish sound fancier without actually making the food taste better.

Tastes like dirt desu senpai

This, I'd rather eat some hot cheetos

Probably. I'd argue that salt is the most important ingredient. Put it this way: every amazing meal I've ever had used salt.

Truffles, on the other hand, are completely optional. I've seen them put in everything from macaroni and cheese to chicken pot pies. I doubt it made them better to the point that you'd always want them in there.

But you're always going to miss salt.

I've legit never eaten, or at least i can't tell... How do they taste?

Dirt.

I kid you not. People describe things like beans as having an "earthy" flavour, but truffles seem to take it quite literally.

I really don't get the appeal of them.

Truffle does not taste like dirt at all to me. I wonder if this is another one of those genetic deals. I cant really taste much of anything thats flavored with truffle. What I can taste does not impress me at all and is kind of annoying.
I think I must perceive it differently than others do .

Gold is very resistant to oxidation, and highly conductive

So it has uses

Truffles don't

Probably just a matter of being tough to find and difficult to reproduce outside their habitat. One of those things where it's rare, so rich people buy them, so they must be good.

But it tastes bad

Morrel mushrooms are just as hard if not harder to find but taste delicious yet they are a fraction of the price

I think truffles are one of those emperor's new clothes type of foods where the cook thinks "let's feed this guy something that tastes like turd and was in a pig's mouth"

I think this is true. I'm a girl and my bf often asks me what I want to eat for dinner. A few nights ago he made homemade taglierini pasta with truffle shavings. The pasta was amazing, but the truffle really didn't add much good to it. It's a very overrated food.

of all the mushrooms I have tried I like truffles the least. Why would you eat them when you can have a nice button instead?

no, its delicious

OP, you probably haven't been here enough. For people in this place to understand you, you need to ask if it's a meme

>I'm a girl and
I am a MGTOW and I dont really care for them either.

>I'm a girl
what the fuck does this have to do with anything, fuck off attention whore

had truffles twice (at different restaurants). both times as filling for ravioli.
fucking things smelled like old gym socks both times and tasted as horrible as they smelled

Truffles are overrated
They are still damn good

You probably had Sysco frozen truffle ravioli.

nah, they actually looked like ravioli.
might have been a shitty store brand though. Saw truffle ravioli at Aldi some time ago

Sysco has various varieties of truffle ravioli, that was just the first one I found.
Most restaurants specialty pasta is a complete ripoff since its just freezer aisle trash.

Have another (you) and kill yourself

>Lunette
>lou net tay

The fuck

>I think truffles are one of those emperor's new clothes type of foods where the cook thinks "let's feed this guy something that tastes like turd and was in a pig's mouth"

and make it a really expensive turd... they'll really make themselves believe it's good then

>fresh ricotta

When i first started cooking i never used salt. My taste buds were nonexistant then.

>Morrel mushrooms are just as hard if not harder to find but taste delicious yet they are a fraction of the price
Nope, morels are far easier to collect than truffles.

Truffles have a complex, heady aroma. The taste isn't as good as the aroma, but it is easy to see why they are popular - it's a very unique sensation.

I bought them a few times to see what the big deal was. I wish they lasted forever and you could just keep them in a box and smell them every once and a while, because that was more interesting than eating them.

Theyre overrated from a normie/customer point of view.

Chefs are the only ones who really appreciate what truffle has to offer, normies just dont get it.

You don't have to like it, that's ok, but you can't deny that there is nothing quite similar to truffle in the culinary world.

Well, there's dirt.

If dirt is what you taste/smell then you either have fucked senses or shitty genetics. Do you also hate cilantro by chance?

>Chefs are the only ones who really appreciate what truffle has to offer, normies just dont get it.
Adding $20 to the price of a dish? Explain it if you're going to act like you're better than the rest of us.

this is pretty much the whole point of truffles. it makes the food sound fancier without actually improving the dish. It gives the impression the chef is a great chef if they put truffles in their food.

This. Apples don't taste like tree. Beef doesn't taste like blood. Truffles don't taste like dirt. The taste like truffles. That said, I don't like them, but I have friends, male and female, who love them.

Can you show an example instead of just over exaggerating?

the problem with truffle is that a lot of crap, cheap truffles came from China (summer truffle around 300€/kg) and taste nothing like real Piemonte and Provence truffle (black winter truffle)
then you have to eat it freshly when season is (nov-jan) and not the canned stuff
white alba truffle is the best of the best... around 10.000-12.000 euro/kilo.. the smell is so intensive that the whole villages smell like truffle when the truffle market is in Italy ...
most truffle oil is synthetic chemical garbage made from petroleum and has nothing to do with fresh truffles... they put a 0.001g piece in each bottle just for decoration
in most high-end restaurants truffle oil is not used anymore
if you have ever be in France or Italy during truffle season you will never forget it and never say it taste like dirt

You must have some pleb-tier tastebuds. Truffles are the shit. I can't even put into words what they taste like- it's this weird mix of earthen umami that just adds deep, satisfying undertones to every bite if used properly.

The artificial stuff is very shit tho.

There are organic truffle oils that use a negative pressure cold extraction process, which yields excellent results from a flavor perspective. Still pales in comparison to fresh truffles tho.

other mushrooms have a more intense taste like porcini but for that subtle flavour I don't know a substitute that does exactly the same.

>rich people
ding ding ding

here's some fun facts:
>not long ago, lobster was just considered a garbage bug
>sturgeon eggs weren't fancy until they became scarce
>diamonds are not worth shit, so jewelery traders just bought the mines up to maintain artificial scarcity
>some people just like to pay more for the same product

i swear, status symbols are the stupidest thing humans do. Going through that much trouble to pretend to be better than someone is just....it's just assanine.

I'm a girl to haha

The thing is that they're actually not _that_ expensive when bought locally. Especially since a small truffle should be enough for several people.

>negative pressure
Cut the nonsense, user.
Only time that phrasing makes sense is when talking about relative pressure (as opposed to absolute).

Yes.

You might as well sprinkle miracle grow on your food.

>Morrel mushrooms are just as hard if not harder to find but taste delicious yet they are a fraction of the price

Is that why I pick 50 lbs a day in peak season?

Fucking pleb. It's called supply and demand.

I'm bi and I have stopped dating women because society has ruined them

Well, unless you know of some spots morrels are pretty hard to find like that guy said. I've gone to places that looked prime as fuck and came up empty over a dozen times.

we have reached the meme horizon

For the price, yes.
They're pretty good but I fucking love fungi.
I'd much rather buy porcinis and Morrels but if you have $10 or $20 but a small bottle of truffle oil and just use it to finish off plates with.
Though I should say if you ever get the chance to try one, go for it. try everything atleast once.

>unless you know of some spots morrels are pretty hard to find
This is true of everything. Truffles have to be excavated. Morels grow above ground and fruit in the hundreds in places where they actually grow.

Fuck off you pedantic faggot

Lobster is cheap as shit in maritime towns