/c/k/

Is bagging a few deer during deer season and having it processed more cost effective than buying meat from a grocery store/butcher?

This question is difficult to answer - how much did your firearm and ammunition cost? How much time, gas, etc. did you use scouting and hunting?

Let's say you get two deer and ~120 lbs of meat. How much is 120 lbs of meat where you live and how long can you exclusively eat this meat for?

Also the gear to process the deer, and the place to store the meat, and the electricity to keep it cold

Most people do not have space in their freezer for 120 pounds of meat plus regular other stuff

>Purchase gun
>Purchase ammo
>Invest in vehicle to get to hunting location which can also allow you to bring back kill
>Take time to go out and hunt animal
>Have available space and methods for storing animal when you bring it back
>Pay for the methods use to preserve it

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Moneywise its crazy expensive , you have to love the hunt.

hunting rifles can be sub $500 and its probably different in other states but here it costs about $20 for a deet tag with a 6 tag limit

Maybe if you take zero enjoyment from hunting like some stooge.

My grandparents have been hunting for 30+ years, but it's only ever been worth the cost of the hunting club fees because the sport hunters end up giving them the deer they kill. They'll end up with 8-11 deer in their freezers for the club fee of about $500. They process the deer themselves, as well.

>Is bagging a few deer during deer season and having it processed more cost effective than buying meat from a grocery store/butcher?

Enjoyment of hunting doesn't factor into the cost part of this discussion.

He didn't mention if the "cost" in question pertains to money. How do you know he wasn't talking about emotional well being? Check mate, bozo.

I'd also take in to account the fact that it's a hobby for most people. The money spent on ammunition and firearms and shit like that really is minimal if guns/hunting are someone's primary hobby. Definitely a lot of factors that weigh into this question honestly.

Starting from scratch and getting into hunting would definitely be expensive, I've thought about it but I basically only have the guns and property to hunt on. I know nothing beyond that and I also have other hobbies that would take priority over hunting.

Someone once said that after everything is added up, (license, ammo, gas, beer, new gear, etc.) a pound of venison costs more then a pound of Kobi beef.

Of course one can still get a deer without breaking the bank but buying gear is part of the hobby and the costs are pretty much irrelevant, as it’s all about the fun of being out in the woods hunting.

do the math for yourself. I did for myself and found that getting an elk is cheaper than buying supermarket meat. gets cheaper the longer you hunt since you only need to buy a rifle + freezer once.

The problem with that is that you don't need to buy new guns and gear every season. So yeah, if you don't have anything at all the initial investment can be a lot, but most of the gear you buy will last for many years as long as you maintain it so you just need to factor in ammo which is fairly cheap, gas to get you wherever you're going, possibly a deer lease if you aren't hunting on your own land or public land, and then processing if you don't process the carcass yourself.

>guns, ammo

Uh, guys...there's such a thing as "bow season" and a bow can be acquired with zero paperwork and for cheap. People are always trying to get better equipment before the new season starts, and you can find some great deals around that time. Everything you need for $100 or less. Perhaps you can still make an argument about cost, but this is already FAR cheaper.

And you can have the deer processed in many different ways. If you ask for ground venision, it's the cheapest because they only have to debone it. In fact, you probably won't get back the deer you killed, but a few other ones as well. They just grind them all up at the same time and portion it out.

jeesh just go out in the back yard after dark and blow a deers brains out and get your old grandmaw to teach you to cut it up, that's one of the few joys in life the gubmint can't take from you yet, if you have to take it to a guy to cut it up for you you may as well include your nutsack witht he carcass lmao :D

>If you ask for ground venision, it's the cheapest because they only have to debone it. In fact, you probably won't get back the deer you killed, but a few other ones as well. They just grind them all up at the same time and portion it out.
Enjoy your lead poisoning :)

>there's such a thing as "bow season"
I would also bet the number of hunters that use a bow is a very small percentage of hunters; and the ones that choose to do it are among those that hunt because they enjoy the act.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and bet that bow hunting is a lot more difficult than hunting with a gun, which means you need to spend time learning to use a bow and hunt effectively with it.

>Hunting deer with a shotgun

Maybe if it's the only thing you've got access to.

>mfw no g maw
>mfw no back yard

Oh, so you're going to interrogate the guy processing the deer and interrogate every other guy who brought a deer for processing to find out exactly what kind of weapon they used?

Seems to me you might want to just process your own

>Not having a truck, a rifle and a chest freezer already

Wee-ooo wee-ooo look out folks, mangina coming through.

Plenty of people hunt deer with shotgun, it depends on the hunting conditions.

I think you've got it backwards. The people who hunt for food as a necessity are the minority here. Hunting is by and large a hobby like fishing. As for bow hunting, it's so damn common there's an entire season dedicated to it.

I'd argue it's easier since you have more opportunities to practice. Target practice is quiet and you can reuse the arrow (probably won't want to hunt with it, though).

>Implying I was talking about myself and not the requirements to go hunting.

>which means you need to spend time learning to use a bow and hunt effectively with it
You have clearly never fired a gun in your entire life. It's not a video game. Hitting something from a distance (especially when it won't stay perfect still) requires practice.

>I would also bet the number of hunters that use a bow is a very small percentage of hunters;
Nope.

>and the ones that choose to do it are among those that hunt because they enjoy the act.
Pretty much everyone enjoys hnunting, but most people use bows because they have the earliest seasons and because there are no gun hunters around the deer are much less wary. Some people do do it for the challenge, however.

>I'm also going to go out on a limb and bet that bow hunting is a lot more difficult than hunting with a gun,
Yes and no. On the one hand, hunting from a stand with a bow is often pretty much the same as hunting from a stand with a rifle but in more open country bowhunting is extremely challenging.

>which means you need to spend time learning to use a bow and hunt effectively with it.
Just like spending time at the range. Modern compound bows are absolutely piss-easy to use once they're set up correctly, and most of that is done for you in the pro shop. A novice can hit a pie plate at 35 yards with 85% accuracy after an afternoon of instruction.

They dont use birdshot dumbass

Not that guy, but having shot at paper with both a bow and a rifle, the bow is a hell of a lot harder to hit stuff with from a distance

Seems to me you're butthurt that there are real sportsmen out there who take pleasure in doing things the hard way

It is not a money saving venture. I do it for the lean fresh meat and process it myself.

Get you a 336 and go kill. Camo is meme gear.

The point I was making is that gun or bow, you need to learn your weapon.

It's illegal to hunt deer with birdshot so that's pretty rare to come across. I'd bet the butcher uses a metal detector to scan the meat before he just throws chunks of bullets into his expensive grinder.

But I like hunting because it helps reinforce my basic borrowed concept of masculinity.

Or if it's the only gun you can legally use. Like in Illinois, Indiana, etc.

Why the fuck would anyone take the life of another animal?Just go to the grocery store if you want meat. Jesus fuck I don't know how people have the nerve to murder and butcher a living thing.

Efortless bait

1/10 made me reply

Why do you continue to waist the air that others need more?

Not ever as long as you only eat pork shoulder, chicken, and other cheap cuts of meat. but always if you buy various kinds of meat like rib eye, ground meat, strip steaks, round roasts. etc.

do you not know what a slug is?

you can buy garage freezer for under $200, idiot