Cooking with Evilroot - Father's Day Mushrooms!

Tomorrow is Father's Day, and as usual I'll be cooking him up some delicious food!

One of his favorite things are mushrooms . . . especially marinated ones. So I'll be making both the tastiest and also one of the easiest mushroom dishes I know, Champignon Bourguignon! Aka Marinated Mushrooms Burgundy Style!

Let's get started!

Aww shit niggah. I've only ever had had beef bourguignon, but that looks really good.

It is SUPER GOOD.

You will require the following ingredients:

2 kilograms of white button mushrooms
(It came from a French cookbook, so Metric!)
1 1/12 Bottles of decent Red Wine
7 cloves of garlic, peeled
2tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 sticks unsalted butter
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2tsp celery seed
1tsp dried tarragon
300mL beef demiglace
300mL chicken demiglace

Some notes on ingredients:

Don't be tempted to use fancy mushrooms. You want the plain old boring white ones so they'll soak up the marvelous flavors.

Whenever cooking with wine, choose a wine you'd be okay with drinking! It doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive, but it does need to be decent! Classically this would be made with a Burgundy red, but Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Chardonnay are all good choices depending on your taste. I'll be using Merlot.

If you don't have access to demi-glace a suitable substitute is to just take double the amount of chicken and beef stock and reduce it by half.

This recipe is SUPER SIMPLE and requires little prep work. It does however take TEN HOURS of cooking, so plan ahead!

Begin my washing your mushrooms. If they're small leave them whole, if they're giant stuffers like my store had break them down into halves or quarters. You can remove the stems if you like for presentation but its not necessary.

Then simply add ALL THE INGREDIENTS INTO A LARGE STOCK POT! Awesome, huh?! Super easy!

Also forgot the pictures haha. I'm using Rex Goliath wine because it was on sale. And yes my kitchen is a wreck because I've been cooking other things all day.

Everything's in!

>bottled water

The water that comes out of my faucet is literally BROWN. I refuse to drink or cook with it despite the fact its "safe" because it tastes like crap.

Now crank the heat up to high and bring this bad boy to a boil!

And then turn it down to low, lid it up, and walk away! Next stop will be 7 hours from now.

You can use a slow cooker too if you'd like, but the range gives better control IMHO.

And a protip: whenever I make things like soups/stocks/etc where I want everything to be nicely submerged I just invert a colander over the top. Nice and simple and neat.

wouldCreamPieAWomanInOrderToSpawnYouAndHaveYouMakeMeThoseMushrooms/10

I lol'd.

Bout 3 1/2 hours in now.

And let me tell you, my GOD does this stuff smell FUCKING DELICIOUS while its cooking! Up there on the top 5 tastiest smelling meals, right with beef stew, caramelized onions, and real bolognese!

Seriously, I feel bad for my neighbors.

>brown tap water
What's Michigan like this time of year?

Lol at least then there'd be an excuse! My apt building was built in the 70's and the pipes are old as hell is all.

So we're a good way into the process now. As you can see we've lost a LOT of volume even with the pot lidded as the mushrooms reduce in size!

Our next stop will be in about 2 hours when we rove the lid and continue to simmer for another 3-4 hours until the liquid is nearly gone!

While we have a lull lets talk about applications!

These incredibly flavorful and savory mushrooms have nearly endless uses. They can crank a boring dish UP TO ELEVEN!

When chilled they make an awesome addition to any antipasto platter. Also wonderful as an appetizer atop some toasted bread.

Red meat never had a better friend. Serve warm alongside or on top of a nice steak or roast! Amazing burger topping! Great in an omelette! And oh good GOD in a Philly Cheesesteak . . . . you'll have a Foodgasm.

Also on mashed potatoes, with roasted vegetables, hell the scenarios are infinite! Or if you really want to just enjoy the flavor serve a heaping bowl with some crusty bread to soak up the juices.

This looks amazing! Root always delivers, I thought the only way you could get mushrooms that looked like that was out of a $12 tiny jar and that it took all kinds of crazy special stuff!

>One of his favorite things are mushrooms
>Champignon Bourguignon
your dad has some great taste
I definitely want to try making this myse-
>600 mL demiglace
motherfucker do I look like I'm made of money

these aren't psylocybine mushrooms. you must be a fag if you get excited about regular mushrooms.

Anything that comes in tiny jars can usually be made at home in large amounts, and taste better!

Like I said earlier there are easy substitutions that will be just as good. Hell you could just use bullion cubes (2x more than usual) and water if you want and it will still be fantastic.

>Hell you could just use bullion cubes (2x more than usual) and water
The long simmer will reduce this all down, won't it? Good god the salt

I'll just use my ghetto bone stock tyvm
is there a particular reason you don't want to saute the mushrooms brown before doing all of this?

That's why we're using unsalted butter and adding no salt. Obviously bullion cubes are less than ideal but the final result will still be delicious if a tad salty. Just saying if you don't have demi-glace or don't want to take the time to reduce stock this recipe is still very doable.

Sauteing the mushrooms first would be counterproductive. We want the dry mushrooms to pull in the other liquids, and then as they release their own water the good stuff will stay due to it binding better with the tissues of the mushrooms better than regular water!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. When I say saute the mushrooms I mean cook the water out to the point that they brown. They'll be much drier than in their base form, and have some extra flavor to boot.

6 1/2 hours have passed. Now we remove the lid and let this cook UNCOVERED for another 3 1/2 hours to reduce! You might need to adjust the heat higher keep a simmer without the lid.

Stir occasionally! We want very little liquid left at the end, it should all be in those mushrooms!

are you a troll? your kitchen is shit, but so far it seems like your legit about what your cooking. you arent gonna pulla 180 on us right>?

never trust a cook by their kitchen. That naruto cooking nigga said

Would beef base be a suitable substitute? I think moreso than bouillon.

looking forward to seeing the final product

you should do more of these types of threads

fuckin love mushrooms and this looks awesome

No one cares, turn your trip off