I hate the term

What does Veeky Forums think of this show? I found it on Netflix and now I'm slightly obsessed.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=srVI_w2EnDE
youtube.com/watch?v=OZoDIIrp2r4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's fun

That's how I describe it.

I wish it was more meta and made fun of other cooking competition shows more.

these competition shows need a gimmick. theirs is one of the better ones.

"guy's grocery games" is another good one with a good gimmick. I don't know if it's on netflix, though. it's on food network here in america, same as cutthroat kitchen.

I saw some episodes from the first season and decided that I liked chopped a hell of a lot better, since chopped has a nice focus on the neat shit people did with food, and this was more about the drama/getting a sense of schadenfreude from how badly people get fucked over

anyone wanna chime in on whether the show has improved since the early run?

I honesty like this show more than chopped for the exact opposite reason. I dont like the focus on just the food as much as watching someone deal with some weird obstacle. chopped seems like a less extreme cutthroat kitchen to me.

i'll watch either one of them and be entertained. maybe I'm more biased because chopped is on more often these days. it's pretty much the second show on food network after triple D (which earns its spot imo, whether or not you like guy fieri).

honestly I never really understood the hate for fieri outside of his rampant franchising

DDD is a decent show that brings more business to local hole in the wall places that deserve some more love

the dude is like your flashy NJ-esque but still lovable idiot uncle

I dropped Chopped after one too many contestant sob-stories.

Cutthroat Kitchen doesn't care, so it's all watching people mess others up (and mess up with 'revenge') and laugh at it, and be impressed when people do well/laugh when the person with no sabotage fucks up.

the sabotages get progressively wackier as the seasons go on, so the schadeunferudeu only gets stronger.

I like Cutthroat Kitchen but it annoys me that the judges have no idea what the contestants went through while cooking. Seems unreasonably unfair even for a show where that's the whole premise

it really annoys me when they pick food choices that can no way be finished within the time frame. one that comes to mind was the crumble.

unrelated but

>sit down with a salad or something for lunch
>turn on food network to get ideas for dinner
>commercial
>walmart commercial
>cheese commercial
>more commercials
>more food commercials
>a mayo commercial that's an instructional video on how to put mayo on a grilled cheese instead of butter
>the same commercial plays again, or something
>finished my salad
>5 second reminder that there's a new episode of next food network star or something
>chopped kids bbq edition starts playing
>turn off tv and go to wash my salad bowl

fuck that

>chopped
>kids chopped
>cupcake chopped
>candy chopped
>cutthroat kitchen chopped
>bake a cake all night and morning long chopped

holy shit, sometimes they even play canadian chopped and a version of chopped where they use sponsored snack foods instead of a mystery basket

say what you will about guy stuffing his fat face, but

>show starts immediately, right after the last one ends
>short little intro
>hey i'm guy fart here's my car and this is my show
>teases the joints they'll visit
>show starts

also kids chopped, wtf
>mommy's child actors with special snowflake personalities
>some of them even wear cowboy hats, wowee
>make gravlox, hollindaise, rack of lamb, salmon, combining the right flavors
>appear to be pretty good and knowledgeable
>cut their stupid tiny fingers slicing an onion or a tomato

what even

Satan, I can't honestly hate the franchising. the guy, guy, probably became a millionaire from that before the "food network star" reality show that made him famous. his franchising is purely a busininess move, I can't blame him for any of that and anyone that does is an ignorant cunt that hasn't been given the same opportunities, imo.

his personality is actually likable for me. I can see being put off by his appearance, but he's a genuinely nice guy. i've met him in person, he's more vulgar, yet still the same guy. He told me about how his tortoise loves to eat his dog's shit like it's foie gras.

he seems like a regular california guy, though I'm probably what outsiders would call a regular vermonter.

I like chopped jr, but that's probably a better discussion for /b/.

ALSO have you ever seen these next food network stars?

some cute chubby indian woman won some year, and they threw her show at the worst possible time on a sunday, she actually made some neat shit, at least compared to the 4 or 5 southern woman cooking shows

bruh I hope you don't mean what I think you mean

guy fieri is and always will be the best thing to come out of that show. there won't be another one.

I"m impressed with the children's cooking abilities for reasons more appropriately discussed on another page, of course. (not sexual... ish... food is always sexual for me... other people might call it a problem...)

Total fucking trash. It's not funny/edgy/interesting, annoying contestants, boring sabotages, poor judging.

>franchising is purely a business move
did you think restaurants get made for shits and giggles, you chucklefuck?

The first season was goat, the subsequent seasons where good but got a little too gimmicky and played out; a very good show still though. I loves me my gun-nut food science geek quirky closeted dude.

were*

I guess my point is that franchising, thus business moves, are purely the "business" of the people involved. I try to not judge other people on a personal level for excessively franchising.

if people hate guy for "rampant franchising" that's fine, but it's not really their business, nor is it mine, in my view. It's not a reason to hate a celebrity chef. especially one with such creations as the "jackass roll" m.youtube.com/watch?v=srVI_w2EnDE

I disagree. That's actually one of the best part of the show.

Wasn't there an online segment somewhere where they show the judges reacting to finding out what the sabotages were after the judging and watching the sabotaged cooking process? Are they still doing that?

>closeted dude
google says he's recently divorced. perhaps it's incoming? maybe you have a chance to chew on his delicious american sausage...

I didn't see that. But I'd like to. OP here

Is it just me or are the contestants a bit too flamboyant?

not that guy, but they do where a few too many gingham button downs, though the judges are usually the same.

that one brown guy that opened the failed restaurant in minneapolis that judges this show a lot wears a lot of camoflage button downs, though I do hate asian-indian people (I don't prejudge them, they're all on the same even ball field. just a generalization made about every single indian person I have ever met).

I love me some Guy. The Food Network trifecta is Alton, Guy, and Bobby. You know it.

*wear

goddammit autocorrect. that didnt even make any sense.

don't forget the queer eye for the straight guy person that does chopped and chopped jr. he's up there, too, whatever his name is. he needs a non-competetition show, he seems like a pretty regular guy that you wouldn't guess suffers from homosexualism if you didn't know his history.

Always a fag

Isn't the point of a competition to be on even playing ground?

...no?

Fucking hate it.

Chopped is a hell of a lot better because it's a pure competition that doesn't encourage you to behave like a fuckass.

Seasons 1-2 were the best where the sabotages were more down to earth. There was some wackiness now and then, but it was balanced by simple stuff like not being allowed to use salt, taste your food, or only being allowed to use one pan or something.

They also didn't try to force every constant into a sabotage. For some reason in season 3 or so they made it so that during something like a basket swap, everyone but the one won got hit. Or had a share a station, or one set or utensils, or something. It took away a bit of strategy where you could pick and choose who received the sabotage.

Oh fuck I forgot about that on Chopped.

Why do they think we give a fuck that somebody popped their balloon when they were five or what the fuck ever?

>Why do they think we give a fuck that somebody popped their balloon when they were five or what the fuck ever?

Did that actually happen? The only episode I liked was with the guy from Deadspin, only because he didn't give a shit about what he was doing and still won.

Are there any other series where contestants have to make the same thing? I like seeing the variations on the same dish.

The auction item are meh.

If it's a basket swap, like 90% of the time it includes everything they need and half the time one of the chefs actually wants it. Chief example that comes to mind is making lasagna using ravioli. Pasta is already cooked and you've got a filling, just need to separate them and add a red sauce.

Physical impediments like treadmills and being forced to sing and shit is completely pointless. I hate it.

Being forced to cook with bizarre equipment is the best, imo, because there's no way around cutting with a credit card or cooking on a metal sphere. It's gonna fuck it up every single time.

I cant stand him but jesus he must work his ass off. I think he said he's been to 800+ places for DDD and hes held up his shtick the whole time.

I also like the game theory behind the auctioning, like when people spend $20k in the first round no one should bother giving them any sabotages since they'll be easy to fuck over at the end.

You gotta problem with DUH PIE OH NEEEEEAAAAR WOAH MAN?

I love it when all the saboteurs gang up on one person, it's the logical thing to do if you want to make it to the next round and need a target on someone else's back. Poor patsy.

chopped is fucking garbage.

every episode comes down to
>first dish "Wow this is perfect"
>second dish "this is awful what were you thinking"

and then they give the win to the shittier dish because they had a better sob-story.

i fucking hate it.

I always wonder if a restaurant gave him a dish he didn't like and just cut that scene out.I just find it hard to believe that guys likes all 1000+ dishes from all those restaurants.

they all start off on an even ground but use sabotages as strategies to give them an advantage

I'm exaggerating but the sob stories get really ridiculous after a while. It's almost like the producers tell the contestants "now tell me something horrible about your life."

What I find really funny is when they do that and some other person ends up getting eliminated. I've seen episodes where the only person who didn't have a sabotage gets eliminated. The look on their face is priceless when it happens.

Not when you need to keep people with a very low attention span from changing the channel.

this is exactly what they do. the ony time they show him not liking something is if there are eggs on it, since that's part of his character.

>Paula Deen
youtube.com/watch?v=OZoDIIrp2r4