2.50 each way to travel on the subway

>2.50 each way to travel on the subway
>Chicago restaurant charging 4-6 dollars for delivery
>Everywhere else charging atleast 3
>White biker guy has the nerve to suck his teeth and sulk away when I put 0.00 for the tip on receipt

Tipping will be dead in the US in the next 5 years. Guaranteed

People are traveling more and realizing how dumb the idea of tipping is, restaurants are still charging ridiculous delivery fees and not passing those on, and nobody but STEM majors have money. Tipping is fucked

no it wont.

Tipping is a retarded artifact of a time in our nation's history in which labor laws didn't exist and Vanderbilts would toss some cash the server's way to flaunt their wealth.

Now I hear so many women go "you have to tip well, I used to be a server and it's hard work!" Bitch, get back to me once you've worked manual labor.

You all forget about the comically evil restaurant lobby that will not budge an inch

No sick days
Not a dollar more wage
Tips always required

Yeah, I hate tipping but what can you do when restaurants refuse to actually pay servers a decent wage like they should? It's bullshit that they pawn off the responsibility on customers, who knows when that's going to change.

Its not that they pawn off the responsibilty to customers,
Its that waiting is completlely in its entirety a hospitality service and in all actuality is a very easy job. Therefore if stacy is being a shitty cunt she wont get paid

If you dont make your share in tips they are required to pay you whats left over to match minimum wage. However if you're so shit at waiting (slow days obviously an exception) that you cant make the cut then you dont really deserve to be paid well.

I used to deliver pizza and I agree that adding a delivery fee onto deliveries is pure greed. The drivers see none of that money, and our cars sure as hell don't see any of that money. The only useful thing I can think of is that maybe, MAYBE, it goes into buying new cartop signs.

If you don't want to tip go fucking pick your own food up

Cause if tips were eliminated there would be less people delivering and less waiters which results is a lower quality dining experience and longer wait times

>Tipping will be dead in the US in the next 5 years. Guaranteed
Only if you accept $5+ added to your food cost shithead. They make less than min wage without gratuity.

Emotional labor of acting like a servant for 9 hour shifts -> deepening depression every day on top of making jack shit for pay

Manual labor -> dopamine, literally orgasm juice

I would gladly serve myself if it meant I didn't have to tip a waiter/waitress, but that's never an option.

It is there are plenty of counter service places or diner where you can sit at the bar and not feel bad about not tipping

>Cause if tips were eliminated there would be less people delivering and less waiters

Both wrong as it is mostly desperation which fills those jobs in the first place.

>which results is a lower quality dining experience and longer wait times

If it forces shitty restaurants and food holes to close so much the better. The ones where a decent service is entirely normal and expected and not part of a blackmailing system will hopefully come to the fore and thrive.

It's a win-win situation.

What does him being white have to do with anything?

I thought we got past this in the 50's?

Not a chance. How will you poor people feel better about slaving away 12 hours a day if not by paying more money for the exact same thing as everyone else?

Look out boys, we got a Warren buffet in here

i've worked both construction jobs and have been a waiter. I would take the construction jobs over being a waiter any day. there's something about the mental anguish that comes with service oriented jobs that makes it much worse than straightforward manual labor. the minimum wage is garbage and people actually do rely on tips. whether or not it should be that way is another conversation.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS

I'm surprised that the recession didn't kill tipping.

Why should I tip you when you're doing nothing more than a cashier? Why not actually become a server if you're so desparate for tips.

I don't get how people do that shit for years. I don't know of any other job where staff were screaming in each others faces on shift then acted like nothing happened and it was totally normal afterwards

They use their own cars+gas. Dumbass life decisions imo

>I have to tip like a hospitality professional to a person who doesn't actually provide any hospitality.

Seriously I"m not rewarding you with a tip because you're too much of a fuck up to even be a server at a proper restaurant. If you aren't making enough money get a better job.

>nobody but STEM majors have money.

speak for yourself. I'm a 6'8" chef with a 9 inch dick who works at Wendy's and earns $130,000 per year.

>Math Major
>Any job I want
>$300k starting

Like I'd be jealous kid

>>Math Major
>>Any job I want

So long as you don't want a fun one.

most waiters deserve more than minimum wage. at least the ones at restaurants I go to - I don't eat at applebees.

>pay servers a decent wage like they should
>#I'mwithher

>job
>supposed to be fun

Get a load of this guy. Jobs are by definition shit and only a means to an end

this is extremely false, i couldnt live and work at a job i hated for 40 years. im in the forest service industry, i get to spend my days out in the woods, mapping things, measuring shit, i dont think i could have a better job

that's a pretty bad way to live man

He's obviously still in school and has never held a full time job.

You realize mr.cyclist makes less than minimum wage and depends on the tips right? As in, the delivery charge is 100% the company's because it's garunteed income.

>implying they ever get paid well

Everyone deserves to get paid enough for honest work.

I feel sorry for you

I kind of doubt that most people particularly like their jobs. Not everyone gets to have a satisfying career, just the way it is.

The problem wth tipping is two fold.

One, the restaurant has to pay up to the minimum wage if the server doesn't make enough from tips.

On the other hand, the server has to report his tips for tax purposes.

So what you get is that the restaraunt doesn't cover lost wages because the servers aren't reporting their tips.

>Wendy's
>"chef"
>130k
Lololololololololol

For what? Remembering your diet pepsi and carrying a plate ten feet from the person who actually made it perfectly in a 100degree kitchen simultaneously with twelve other meals in synch with his coworkers at other stations so it all comes out at the same time

This thread reminds me of attached picture.

America seems to be a strange place when it comes to giving away extra money for a job with a well defined list of tasks for which the employee receives a wage.

My problem as a non-american was I get there and I know there is some unspoken rule that I have to tip, so i read some article online somewhere that says 10% is the norm for a low-mid tier restaurant..

So I tip 10% at the first couple of places until i realize that I'm getting dirty looks when i'm leaving so i start tipping 15% thinking maybe that is more in line with what i should be doing but still get dirty looks... So i just went back to 10% and decided fuck this place i'll travel somewhere that I don't have to play 'guess what i'm supposed to be paying for meals'.

you're not getting dirty looks because you're "under-tipping"

you're getting dirty looks because you're a filthy foreigner.

Could also be true but i'm a white business traveler who speaks English so this is less likely

Whoever was writing that post baited you good, and you fell for it. Get a passport and go to America and meet some actual Americans that aren't on Veeky Forums.

i mean, few people have spongebob-level fascination with their work, but if your job consistently makes you miserable you might want to try something else

And nobody is stopping you from giving them all the money you think they deserve

The recession caused massive inflation

Tipping became even more required

>Ever tipping a girl that doesn't dance and sit in your lap for it

The delivery fee was equal to what it cost for me to get it myself. A delivery fee that ridiculously high is the tip or its a fucking scam.

With cost going up yet me still being required to tip I've just started tipping a dollar per person served plus whatever change makes it add up to a round number. Not dropping my food and refilling my soda is not worth more than that no matter how much the food cost. With the exception of soda the more expensive something is the higher the margins they're making anyway so it was always silly to tip based on price.

Fun fact: Americans on Veeky Forums do not have the mental capacity of baiting others. Think about it, kiddo.

>If your job isn't providing you money just get a different one
>I never made any mistakes in MY life. Every person should have to recoup their losses themselves.

Do you also not believe in helping anyone who's homeless, in poverty, or starving? Because one reason or another, they're "too much of a fuck-up" right? Or are you just generalizing because it's easier to feel better about being a cheap bastard if you assume every person who delivers your food is a lazy good-for-nothng that probably just wants free handouts to glide through the bottom rung of life? :^)

Seriously though. Not everyone has the capability to get a better job, and not everyone has had a fucking perfect life. Just because YOU recovered, or saw someone else do it, doesn't mean everyone can. People do lead different lives, you know? We don't all have the same opportunities.

what fucking jobs are 300k for math?
I thought actuaries got paid a fuck ton and they don't make anything close to that

all anons that work in restaurants are rofling at this thread.

hello non-americans and americans, let me give you a tip (no pun intended). at every new restaurant you visit, you should tip a large amount. make sure they witness you doing it too. then, the next time you visit, you will be given "pampered" service, so to speak. your food may come out sooner, your plate may contain more of what you ordered, you may be charged a little less than what is posted on the menu, et cetera. this is how tips work in the usa.

remember, you can always make your own food rather than have someone else do it for you. the tip comes into play because you are paying someone else to do what you have the power to do (obviously to an extent).

appreciate your waiters and cooks. the customer is always wrong. and never put spreads on the bread side of sandwiches. remember this and good luck.

>'go 'za