Co/ck/tail general

Let's talk mixed drinks, Veeky Forums. What do you drink when your not feeling beer or wine? Do you have love for craft cocktail bars? Can people really be mixologists? Do any of you have a cocktail bar at home?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Screwdriver

>screwdriver
The mimosa of fratboys

I'm a sucker for a strong whiskey sour.

Post pictures with drinks and how to make them.

This. I always was a "straight or nothing" kind of guy, but a nice whiskey sour after a meal while having company over is quite nice.

I like a nice brandy alexander. Nice and creamy, most people make them too thin.

I'm not so into cocktails (harder to judge your drinking than beer and wine, thus more likely to get you more fucked up than you'd planned). Also while the drinks are generally good at cocktail bars I have a tough time spending more on two or three drinks than I would on a good dinner out.

But I get it. I've hung with Toby Cecchini, and he was one of the guys responsible for the revitalizing of the high end cocktail (unfortunately in the form of the Cosmo, but whatever). A couple decades ago a wine lover could find places with good wine, a beer lover could find places with good beer and a scotch lover could find places dedicated to good scotch. But most bars made their money on shots and beer. Cocktails were sloppily thrown together with bottled juice, crappy bar fruit and the soda gun. Toby (and guys like him, such as Sasha Petraske) thought the cocktail deserved the kind of attention a chef at a good restaurant pays to the food - it should be made with quality liquor, fresh juice and herbs and be carefully put together.

They were right. The results were very good drinks. But they used costly ingredients and were labor intensive to make. So the crowd their businesses had to target was an upscale one. This led to some silly stuff, like the fake speakeasy setup at Milk and Honey, with it's very specific set of rules. It also introduced people to paying $15+ a drink.

Cocktails are good, but I'd much rather drop that kind of money on good wine.

Bloody Mary

I really enjoy white Russians

Yes I learned about them from the big lebowski

No I am not ashamed to admit that because I'm not a hipster

I don't use kahlua though, I use a coffee liquor called "Lolita" (not joking)

It's delicious

I was also drunk and making mixed beverages for some underage girls the other night (They were over 18 just under 21) and we ran out of kahlua (was at someone else's house) and I made my own coffee liquor pretty easily with some strong coffee, some Brown sugar, some chocolate and some vodka

Tasted perfect

Is Kahlua actually better than other coffee liquors? i've never had it, as i'm poor as fuck.

Not really

There are some flavors that are slightly better but it's almost indistinguishable

That's a relief.

tom collins is the best summer cocktail, sidecar for winter

Drop the yolk in there too, not just the white.

Fantastic.

second favorite

pretty much always go with gin and tonic, squeeze some lime and you can't go wrong.....

i'll occasionally do a neat bourbon, but it has to be sweet because i'm a little bitch like that....

>French 75

Currently enjoying a modified Hanky Panky.
Equal parts gin and sweet Vermouth (I specifically use Cocchi, Vermouth di Torino, in my version) and then two dashes (or more) Fernet Branca.

I would really enjoy any ideas for using Fernet Amaro, as I have a bottle and do nothing with it

My favorites are whiskey sours and gin and tonic. What else would I enjoy?

Liquor cabinet, not counting a few special bottles stored elsewhere

Gin bramble, gin and tonics, and old fashioneds are my go to.

How do you make a gin bramble?

Rum and Coke. inb4 TPB.

Preferably with a cane sugar cola.

Impressive

How do you avoid drinking yourself to sleep daily?
Inb4 you do avoid it.

favorites:

vanilla coke + rum
godfather/godmother
champagne + sprite

want to try:
negroni

Sounds like your life is a meme

Weed

Cola and southern comfort with a squeeze of lime and some Tabasco sauce

I don't even know what to call it but I swear it's amazing

Favorite cocktail is a mint julep.
Old fashioned is pretty good too.

Altho most of the time I just order bourbon on ice and let it melt down a tad.

I've no idea, I should learn though.

1/5ths of the bars I go to know how to make it or have the stuff necessary to make it.

2 parts gin
1 part sour cherry syrup
2 parts water
Splash rose water

Still tweaking the proportions but that's how I did it last time

Manhattan up.

Mint julep, or rum and coke
Lately my boyfriend has gotten me into spiced rum and 7 up

Rum & Coke, preferably with Kraken or some other dark spiced rum.
Moscow Mule
Grasshopper maybe after dinner.

Those are my usual go-to cocktails, but I'm open to other stuff.

Negronis, Manhattans, Navy Grogs, and White Russians for dessert.

Gin and ginger is nice.

I lean towards whiskey based drinks like Manhattan or Old Fashioned. I believe that those and whiskey sour are the only one's I've ordered when going out.

At home I make anything from Tom Collins to Bellini's.

Get your low alcohol stuff such as vermouth, amaro etc in the fridge, will taste better for longer, not a myth

What do you use the St. Germain in ?

I also keep about a dozen amaros in the fridge and have a drinks trolley with a few basics and all my bitters, syrups and barware.
Dont drink as much as I used to but like having a well stocked bar at home that inspires me to mix a couple well made cocktails a week.
love the ritual of making a sazerac but a well made manhattan is pretty much my favourite.

Jealous. I am waiting to stock up until I can find a bar/cabinet that I like and isn't like two grand.

I got my antique cabinet at a deceased estate for like $200, right place at the right time, ive seen people use tall trophy cabinets which works pretty well

Le Bicyclette mostly.

Whiskey ginger is my go to. Gin and tonic is good every once in a while. I love bloody marys but I don't like getting drunk off them. fucking heart burn man.

of course if I'm filling frisky with a full wallet It's always a bottle of scotch.

My sis in uni told me that a little Fireball in Angry Orchard is actually pretty tasty. Sounds fucking trashy, but I believe her about the taste.

Are there any other good liquor + beer mixes out there?

During the summer I do love a good mint julep or a mojito. I've got a mint plant on that patio that's come back three years in a row now and I make good use of it for cocktails. During any season I enjoy an old fashioned or a Manhattan.

Man I love a good spicy bloody mary. I actually prefer mine with Mellow Corn whiskey instead of vodka. I think it adds a little something extra.

I pray for the day I won't be fired and excluded from holding a decent job because I enjoy smoking a plant on my days off and after a long day of work

Until then, it's not worth it

I steep a dry English gin in Earl Grey tea for a couple hours, add some lemon, simple syrup and club soda and make a drink that tastes like a fantastic lemon tea

>2 1/2 oz gin steeped in Earl Grey
>3/4 oz lemon juice
>3/4 oz simple syrup
>3 oz club soda
>Twist of lemon peel or a wedge of lemon

What part of the US you live in user-kun?

Texas, surprisingly one of the most likely states to legalize in the near future. Just a few people taking a hardline against it that hold us back

Angry Orchard isn't beer

Hard Cider. Beer. Fizzy drink that gets you drunk. You get the picture.

It's slow. I live in Seattle and there are still companies that drug test and will fire you for smoking weed.

CAn't, here. Hopefully by the end of the year, it'll be legal here too. Still pissed that Colorado and Washington (DC) beat us to the punch.

Goddamn Bible-thumpers.

I do, I'm just one for specifics.To respond to your previous postt.

Irish car bombs, sake boms, anything with a fucking bomb in it haha. Cider and whuskey wouldnt be terrible. Experiment, puke a few times, and find something you like.

Cheers!

>underrated

>Veeky Forums
>canna-butter thread posted everyday at 420

Sorry for being a wee cunty.

Soju and sake bombs bring up bad memories.
Wonder what kind of beer would go well with my personal favorite spirit, gin.

A good martini or a gin and tonic. I'm kinda mad that I have to specify a gin martini with vermouth nowadays, or they'll give me a shitty vodka with vermouth on the icecubes. I'm also partial to a cucumber collins, but it's surprisingly hard to find a place with them.

TPB?

>I'm kinda mad that I have to specify a gin martini with vermouth

"I'm kinda mad that I have to specify a gin martini with vermouth" - oh fuck right off. You're probably 23 and trying to cultivate a persona of sophistication. Protip - nobody's buying it, with or without the fedora. You're probably one of those sad sacks that drinks only at home because he can't handle a bar and doesn't know where good ones are, but pretends it's because bars can't match his precious taste.

Learn how to order, and learn how to drink.

Rusty Nail, each and every.

Holy shit this exactly.

Not the guy your ripping into but you are wrong, a martini is made with gin and vermouth, if Im in a cocktail bar I expect them to know this as a fact and not ask me for clarrification , other bars get a free pass.
It would be like ordering a cafe latte and being asked if you wanted almond milk instead.

It looks like you shop at Haggens, only place I see a few bottles you have there.

>WA Bro

Sadly, we don't.
The only Haggens in my area was pulled back in part of the bankruptcy.
Most of this comes from (A) the distillery itself (like 2Bar, Bad Dog, Letterpress, Sun Liquor) or (B) Total Wine in Northgate with a few items brought back from people traveling (Like Beehive's Barrell aged gin, and High West's Barrell aged Boulevardier)

Dirty martini with three olives

I tried a dill pickle one once because it sounded good in theory but the taste didn't work out as nicely

no shit, anyone who's over 25 should know what's in a martini, along with the standard variations.

If you're drinking a martini, or other non highballs though you're almost certainly doing a call as well. So complaining about having to specify "gin" is a bullshit humblebrag. Done by children usually, as real adults dont care what other people drink.

I go in and ask for a "Plymouth martini". There's no more words because someone else might prefer "Stoli martini, dirty".

worked as a barrista, you order an almond milk latte as a latte with a modifier. your point is invalid

kirkland light goes really well with gin, my friends call it bin

>worked as a barrista

This whole post is a humbe brag

>humble
>brag

you mean a shitpost

How in the fuck does one make a fucking Old Fashioned? I googled and I'm still lost.

t. 21 year old

You're not cut out for this life. Just end it.

Late Spring - Early Fall
>Mojito
>Mint Julip

Late Fall - Early Spring
>Rum and Coke
>Vodka and Cranberry

Sidecar is my fav drink right now. Just picked up some Pierre Ferrand Ambre, awesome for the price.

Gonna try Aperol with brandy too.

It's hard to go wrong with orange liqueur I think. It mixes well with everything I've had it with. Excited to try it with champagne/cava/prosecco too. Seems like a good fit.

Really like Benedictine too, so I need to man up and try Chartreuse one day. The French really know what they're doing when it comes to alcohol (and food too).

I like to order a Negroni to test a bartender's knowledge and see their reaction when they think they hear something else

Do you only drink at beer and whiskey bars? I'm hard pressed to think of a place that would have the ingredients for a negroni and NOT know what one is.

Cocktails I suggest:
Toronto
- rye
- fernet Branca
- bitters

Hanky Panky
- Gin
- Sweet Vermouth
- fernet Branca

Boulevardier
- Bourbon (or rye)
- Campari
- Sweet Vermouth

Le Bicyclette
- Gin
- Sweet Vermouth
- Elderflower liquor (St Germain)
- Peach bitters

Thunder Dome
- Bourbon (pref wheated)
- Tempus Fugit
- Fresh grapefruit juice

Brad mobile
- Blended Scotch
- Carpano Antica
- Kummel
- Benedictine

Rue McClanahan
- Gin
- St Germain
- Grapefruit juice
- Sparkling Wine

John Cameron
- Ardbeg
- Carpano Antica
- Orange bitters

Last Word
- Gin
- Green Chartreuse
- Maraschino
- Fresh lime juice

Paloma
- Tequila or Mescal
- Grapefruit soda

Vieux Carré
- Rye
- Bénédictine
- sweet vermouth
- Herbsaint or absinthe
- Peychaud’s Bitters

Things that are great on their own or as components:
- Rye (especially High West)
- Bourbon (especially 2Bar)
- Bourye (from High West)
- Gin (especially from Sun Liquor or Beehive)
- Campari
- Cocchi (Vermouth di Torino)
- Scotch (all kinds that aren't Johnny Walker or shitty blends)
- Grappa
- Chartreuse
- Anejo or Reposado tequilas (and Mescal)

I made a fantastic sort-of fancy mojito the other day. Made some homemade Tahitian vanilla and tonka syrup, ounce of that with a half ounce of pineapple-chipotle liqueur, ounce of overproof dark Barbados rum, little coconut water, couple bruised mint leaves, topped with a splash of club soda and a squeeze of lime.

Dunno what to call it. I'm great at mixology, not so good at naming shit.

Sugar gets muddled with bitters and water (or some citrus if you want it sweet). Add ice cubes and whiskey, preferably a rye.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned

Trailer Park Boys. One of the characters always carries a rum and coke. Great show, you should check it out.

Just tried my first negroni last week. I cannot recommend it friend

Bitter in cocktails is an acquired taste

Howdy.

Just got myself a bottle of pic related to celebrate finishing my exams. Need some proper cocktail glasses before I dig in, but any recommendations based on the description.

I believe port-barrel aged and finished in a maple syrup cask, Manhattan's seem obvious but I need vermouth. Willing to hear your suggestions for those with proper mixologist experience. Otherwise it's going straight- on the rocks and I'll be just as content.

Gin+Tonic (sometimes add cranberry)
Vodka+Coke
Rum+Coke
White Russian

Pretty much the only things I make at home.

Old Fashioned can be delicious but has to be made right.

Fuck. Forgot pic.

I had a SHITTY Negroni the other week at some brunch place, first time I've had one in a while, but then I went to proper cocktail bar and it was magnitudes better. Gotta like the bitter, like the other user said, but a shitty Negroni can't really be salvaged.

A whiskey press could work with this - how long is it aged for though?

Not too long. The distillery is relatively new-ish if I understand correctly. According to the website, they are intentionally young, something in the types of wood they use (grain bills? I'm not familiar) is supposed to draw out the flavor. It's delicious on its own.

Cocktail bartender of 5 years here, ask me anything.

What's the grossest thing someone has ever had you ask to make?

kys

Meh - intentionally young is like saying you're fat so shallow people won't try and fuck you.

Sounds like it's not a waste to mix with sweets in that case then.

Baileys and cola. He said it was a 'grey russian'. I died a little on the inside.

Also a shaken dirty, wet Bombay martini. Tasted awful.