ITT: Authors with the most annoying fanbases

I'll start

Other urls found in this thread:

assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1257261.1360194116!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/atlas7n-1-web.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How are Dost fans annoying? Do they actively talk about him or something? I mean I really like Dost, but I hardly talk about it.

Rupi Kaur

150 years of endless praise for him and his ideas, as if the man was the groundbreaking philosopher rather than a well spoken journalist.

As much as I love him, Pynchon. There are so many fucking undergrads who act like hot shit because they read Gravity's Rainbow.

> groundbreaking philosopher

Very few pretend this. Most people like him because he made great books.

>Dost
what was he, your schoolmate?

God

>groundbreaking philosopher
He is a lot more groundbreaking then lots of other philosopher people consider groundbreaking, but yes, I agree with . His books are what make him great and not his philosophy.

only on Veeky Forums to be fair

Real life: Greene

Veeky Forums: I guess Rand.

made me tip my trappist beer

>no DFW

Has no one here ever been on a college campus?

David Foster Wallace fans are literally proselytizing out of car windows.

Gene Wolfe

hahaha

People actually talk about him irl?

Kek. Freud and Nietzsche where Dost fans.

me desu

Yes. A friend of mine took a class on him at the Sorbonne. While he was taking the class he wouldn't shut up about him.
He also talked a lot about Zizek, but I didn't want to reveal my power level in case he wasn't memeing.

This kind of thinking is a big part of what is wrong with the world today.

Adolf Hitler

I enjoy Lovecraft's work, but his fans are nothing personnel edgelords that quote c'thulu mythos shit really badly.

Ohhhhh yeah. As far as I can tell reading him, or at least knowing his name is a rite of passage in my college town. And I go to a state school in the American south, so I can't even imagine what it must be like at a school like Wesleyan.

>Wallace class
>at Sorbonne

quoi?!

Cortazar
Murakami

Aquinas

any new atheists for that matter

>trying to look like Camus

He is still way better than Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.
Hitchens can actually be funny at times.

>tfw you memorised "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" at 12 and would drop it into conversations sometimes

Crime and Punishment was my first (if unintentional) exposures to philosophical pragmatism but other than that anyone with half a brain knows Dostoevsky was pretty much just chronicling the goings-on in Russia and was pretty unpopular for it.

If anything it's Tolstoy who gets thrown around like some kind of intellectual juggernaut.

That's not the entirety of Pynchon's fanbase though.

This kind of jus got big this year, for obvious reasons (the shitty movie and the media frenzy of the 20th anniversary). The Saint David-heads are the worst crowd in college. Just like 2 years ago it was sort of a rite of passage or maybe only seniors knew him or whatever, no one had really read Infinite Jest (people at my school haven't either, there's only 5 or 6 people at my college who have read it, I go to a 2k person school and know the literary type people well as I'm an English major). I'm not sure what happened, everyone just likes to talk about him now, people really like the idea of him. In one of my classes a freshman is writing a paper on a chapter in The Pale King (we literally read Chapter 6 which is my least favorite chapter of TPK) titled "The Philosophy of David Foster Wallace) in a 1500 word essay, which straight up makes no sense. I've meant to confront him about it but I don't care enough. Honestly people just read This Is Water. Maybe a story or two of his and A Supposedly Fun Thing. It sucks.

>we literally read Chapter 6 which is my least favorite chapter of TPK
The only chapter I just skip when going through. I don't know what i'm missing / why it made it to the New Yorker, of all the book.

correct answer

LE 42 is le answer to le meaning xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD grab your towels

Link related probably have the worst fanbase imo.

assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1257261.1360194116!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/atlas7n-1-web.jpg

Wrong.
On here in Veeky Forums .IRL most people never even heard of him.
This 2bh.
Best answer.

Same applies to these both.

that picture cracks me up every time

tho his book is enjoyable and based

Why would someone do this?

both dostoevsky and tolstoy are praised as near-gods, them and their books labeled as the best and most intellectual ever.

if there was ever a need for the word "overrated", its here. the word exists for these 2.

do people just feel special for liking russia stuff because its exotic? or the fact that its so boring and grey that people find it more intellectual or something?

there is no color or life to their work. their books are about as captivating as reading a textbook on plastic bottle manufacturing.

Dostoevsky is hella fucking epic OP. He has deep themes and messages, I think he's just too complex for you.

You're probably a fucking pleb OP who didn't get The Brothers Karamozov because it was too fucking deep.

I, too, enjoy irony.

Don't hate on Dosto because he's too complex, pseud.

This. He's my favorite weird fiction writer, but I cringe every time I see a thread about him.
I'm sick of hearing about role-playing games, "muh Cthulhu" and "muh Elder Gods". I bet the 80% of the modern fanbase hasn't read his lesser known stories or his poems, if at all.

>author

He'd needed to have actually written the book for him to be considered the author.

You're not helping, of course.

Why has anybody said Boob-Cock-Skeet?

People who don't read philosophical works or much other literature who go on as if he is the greatest author in human history with profound and unique understanding of the human condition.

What writers are, in your opinion, the best? Most interesting?

shut the fuck up OP. Dosto fans are just fucking smarter than you. Fuck off to reddit.

Yikes

Muakami true but Cortazar? Most people whom I've spoken to regarding Latin American lit have never heard of him

Fuck this guy and all his ilk

Can you even call it a fanbases?
It's not like massive amounts of people get together to murder pawnbrokers or anything.

I love his writing, he might be my favorite author; if I meet someone else who likes him then we'll probably talk about his books.
That's about it though.

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Veeky Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Veeky Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

>2k person school

which?

A reddit meme gone wrong

Fucktard detected

I dont think there are writers who stand miles apart as being the best objectively, in totality or worthy of the kind of accolades undergrads give to certain.

Then again Im probably speaking from the peak of mount stupid.

Yes, if you have been on a college campus. In creative writing classes they're especially insufferable because they imitate the worst aspects of his writing (the smart-alecky style) but lack insight.

I find Joyce fans more annoying though to be honest.

This is only on Veeky Forums though, right?
Everyone I have met irl who was a fan was pretty chill.

Joyce, Wallace, Nietzsche, Sylvia Path

i've been a total nerd of lovecraft around 13, bought his complete stuff and read it over and over. i've been a member of a french lovecraftian forum on which i had hundreds of posts… managed to delete the account, a lot of pretty cringey stuff on there.

he's still the author that amazed me the most. he had an huge influence on me at a time i was the weird kid. i feel i have an intimate relationship with him, so i'm kind of a snob when it comes to roleplaying, card games or whatever. though i can still enjoy a good fan art.

i feel you so much user

as a H.D. Thoreau enthusiast i feel hurt inside

>Having a hobby and ever paying attention to it's 'fanbase'

ALL fan-bases are for autists and narcissists.

Just keep it to yourselves, nigger. If you like a good book, recommend it to a friend but don't be an arse and buy a t-shirt of it or constantly fill your gay instagram with it's quotes like some cuck scribe for the author.

Are you referring to Robert Greene, the political strategist?

His fans are usually metal heads who have never heard of deodorant and 'le random' girls who hate their fathers.

Well considering you didn't go off on some retarded psuedointellectual rant just now, you're not part off the enthusiasts I hate

thank you! i'm not american, so i guess the fanbase is bigger thus more annoying there.

i realized his vision of life was pretty close to mine, even if god is a huge deal in his. i think a lot of other atheists like him.

Fanbase always tries to be like him but end up looking like edgy fuck heads.

What?

that's "ayn rand" in shitpost language i guess

But why Fire Emblem?

Ayn Rand.
The game his image is poking fun at is Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Said series has a general with memes based entirely on face dragging.

The rest of said general is pic related.

only god knows the ways of spergies.

Tis a silly place

Oh my fuck

i made this post before reading i swear

>Belka is very beautiful when she is pregnant
>Belka is aged now but still very beautiful and aged well

My fucking sides. These people are some advanced spergies.

They're not even that bad. Its mostly on Veeky Forums

lol yep

That's actually only one guy. He doesn't post anymore (or at least, he's not posting anything people identify him by).
I'd post his "Belkameter," if I had it...

I was waiting for this one

To be fair a lot of /feg/ is special in their own ways.

>be me
>sophomore in highschool at the time
>english class
>teacher going over what will be on regent exam
>basically an exam you have to pass in NY to graduate
>teacher explains we have to compare two works of literature
>proceeds to give examples of possible essay topics given on exam
>tells us how to use the books we've read to answer the questions
>student asks teacher if we can use other books
>teacher says yea but we did a lot of work on the books we've read in class so I'd say go with those
>student says "Okay so I can use like Dostoevsky and stuff right? How will I know the person grading my exam will know what I'm talking about? You know Dostoevsky right?"
>"...yes, I know Dostoevsky, I'm sure the person grading will know beca-"
>"Okay thanks just making sure"
>mfw

ayn rand comes to mind

Yeah, just look at how much it derailed this thread.

Why are /feg/ such big fans of Rand anyway?

Yeah, in America there's a rather obnoxious sub-fanbase that has emerged here. They think they're hot stuff for reading a few Walden passages and snicker smugly at their peers for it, et cetera

You shouldn't feel hurt for liking him, Thoreau's got some really good stuff. I'm not an atheist myself, but I agree his vision of life is very universal

Nothing like this?

her fans arent really annoying or vocal about anything

His fan-base is just annoying on Veeky Forums, almost as much as those who try to pretend that he wasn't a good author. Speak with any book nerd or book reviewer anywhere else and they will have nothing but praise for Dostoevsky, go on Veeky Forums and suddenly you have a bunch of people who think they can hold their own against people with degrees in Russian literature. His books are nearly universally thought to be amazing works and yet people on here hate him just because so many people like him.
Why so hipster, Veeky Forums?

Think I just proved OP's point here.
kek

>tfw you will never meet another undergrad who knows of Pynchon
>tfw you've only met 3 people who knew of D. F. Wallace
I have a sneaking suspicion many of my classmates do not even know Joyce's name