Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1M4FG1UXH5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is Urth of the New Sun worth 16 bucks? I know it serves more to answer questions left by the original story, but the reviews in amazon make me doubt a bit, even if i shouldn't trust them much.

First for shilling list

>no Anita Blake the Vampire Slayer
First one is a classic.

Later ones not so much

please remove that shadow ops shit and the gay urban fantasy section.. I can't believe anyone would read that garbage, especially here

No Lord of The Rings in the Flowchart?

Who hasn't heard of Lotr?

I don't think it's a flowchart that covers everything, hence the lack of Asimov, Wolfe, and other renowned authors.

has /sffg/ read this series? is it worth it?

my father gave the first book to me when i was ~7 or so, and all i remember is that a leper rapes a princess, and life is sad.

If it says something like "comparable to Tolkien at his best" you know it's bad for sure.

Never finished. Dreary as fuck and not the good kind.

>comparable to Tolkien at his best

Hehhehehe

Why do you keep posting this? You made a meme sections, two literal trash sections and then dumped everything else you like into "random". It's a piece of trash.

>Not Goodkind
That's a bad thing?

>only read botns and books that i suggest such as peake, etc etc
*tips*

can someone make a chart for something like "Veeky Forums's guide to obscure sci fi and fantasy"??

Book is shit and if you like it i will cuck your father infront of you and have him raise his wife's son.

inb4 just a wank list of meta-fiction and meta-meta-fiction

Obscure shit is obscure for a reason, it sucks. Don't try to be a special snowflake

Make it yourself.

I did lit a favour and made this and they shit on me for making it.

They are too lazy to make shit, but when you invest 3+ hours into a work, they call it shit and make their own.

I saved it, user. I thought it was helpful.

More like you refuse to accept criticism like a stubborn child. The other section and the incest rape one is mostly fine and reflects popular trends, but the middle section is so fucking retarded I can't even tell if it was meant as a joke or if someone here unironically has read them and thought those were good.

it could be obscure for several reasons, you idiot. maybe it wasn't well-marketed, maybe it was a sub-genre that wasn't popular at the time, maybe it did enjoy its 15 minutes of fame in like the 80s but was forgotten afterwards. interesting to note that the only people who throw around the term "special snowflake" are actually the exact type of person for which the term was coined in the first place. in summary: suck my cock and go read the name of the wind while drowning in a tub of your own feces. thanks.

Also it may be a meme section, but there are people on here that like rape and incest in their books. I know this is hard to believe, but people actually like things that you don't.

Absurd right? I mean, how can these other people even have the nerve to dislike what you like, and like what you dislike.

Not that dude, but do you have any other recs for gayhomo fantasy?

Your life story m8

Pls respond.

Name of the Wind is ironically better than any of those meme obscure books. Nice try, loser.

I wish m8
>you will never be a young rogue in search of adventure who goes on a quest with a handsome older wizard man who teaches you everything you know

epic response, friend. are you participating in the latest goodreads fantasy giveaway competition?

Yes, but you could find it cheaper or just torrent it somewhere.

>I can't even tell if it was meant as a joke or if someone here unironically has read them and thought those were good.

Everything on that list I read, and it's only the best i suggested (there are far worst) those are the best in their genres.

I made it because a few times(i was here from the beginning and read every thread in it's entirety, unlike you) people asked for female urban fantasy, or male urban fantasy.

I had about 20 of those most asked about things to put in that image, i was going to give each it's own section, then my autism ran out.

It the same reason you and many others didn't make a chart, it's too tiring.

So after I made the first 3 sections, I just dumped the most relevant in random, it has swords to modern military fic.

Not but we can post some obscure suggestions if you like?

The Steel Remains

I don't think anyone here has EVER asked for something that looks like this dude. And definitely not repeatedly.

That would be neat, thanks

>i take the rape gay and incest meme very seriously

my father's dead, so if he raises himself, it'll be a miracle

It's generally a pretty awful flowchart, useful to only plebs who consider Sanderson and the like great writers.
Nice
That's because, frankly, it's offensively bad.

Not into faggot shit, but I've heard steel remains is full of it(the main reason I haven't touched it even though I was suggested it since 2011), you can try that.

All the other books just has minor gay shit that is quickly forgotten before you even finish the book.

anyone ever read any clive barker? where would you recommend i start with him? is he a good writer? ive found his character descriptions that ive come across pretty striking

Hellhound Heart is nice.
Hellraiser baby
youtube.com/watch?v=1M4FG1UXH5w

It's bretty good.

Futuristic bounty hunter gets bonded with a demon and has her wet walls invaded by hellspawn.

You can't write this with a straight face.

Books of Blood are very good horror short stories

So it's not worth having physical? Oh well.

Nick Harkaway - The Gone-Away World
Hal Duncan - The Book of All Hours
Daniel Fox - Books of Stone & Water
The Innkeeper's Song - Peter S. Beagle
The Anvil of the World - Kage Baker
Memoirs of a Master Forget - William Heaney
Thunderer - Felix Gilman
The Voice of the Fire - Alan Moore

but its by lilith saintcrow

I just read Book of the New Sun and have, since I can't quite put everything clearly in perspective, been wondering if Wolfe had been criticized for inconsistencies in his time travel plotlines. Those things never give me a completely clear picture of comings and goings.

Unreliable narrator

Awesome. I'm ridiculously grateful for this, thank you very much.

Even with unreliable narrator, I'd guess that his time travel explanation would preferably be watertight. I was thinking about reading Solar Labyrinth by Borski.

Severian died a few times so it makes sense, as there are multiple realities and they switch up a bit in Urth.

Severian is an unreliable narrator

No probs, I hope you find at least some of them enjoyable.

looking for something that sends the protagonist either back in time or too some kind of fantasy world or alternate reality and focuses at least partially on the process of their adjustment. can anyone help me in this quest? similar to wolfe's wizard knight or a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court

Haven't read them but I think
is about that kinda stuff.

sounds neat, thanks

is The Fif' Season any good?

It's a little SJWy but theres lots of rape, gay and incest, and the world is cool. I'll definitely be reading the sequels to find out why the fuck someone blew up the moon.

How about an entire island of people? I only have the first book, but I enjoyed it.

This kinda fits your description. It's easier to read (and perhaps better) than Brooks' Shannara series.

I just read the Einstien Intersection and Babel 17 by Delany and they were fucking based. What should I read next? I've read Dhalgren by him too

Didn't know you posted here Connor

thanks for the nostalgia feel

Fuck, I get spooked so hard when you people do that. Who are you? Pinkyvan? Sebastien? Ahhhhhhh

So where's contemporary genre fiction from Italy, Spain, France, Slavlands, Germany...

...no one cares to translate or the scene's dead? I only know about really shit writers like Sapkowski getting the spotlight due to video game popularity.

>no one cares to translate
For Germany and Slavlands

> scene's dead
For Italy

I've actually no clue of the contemporary book scene of my country (Germany). Not really sure how I'd go about looking for stuff either, except finding the super popular bestseller shit which doesn't look very good. I think if there was anything truly good it'd get attention, and English language writers are better most of the time so that's where the attention lies.

Well, would you reccommend anything, translated or not?

Well hello there, Matthew.

these look great, thanks a ton

well, I won't stop you, but remember that Borski is kind of a crazy tool who doesn't understand logic, not one bit. As Wolfe called him, "A hook to the head critic."

Did you read the Long Sun books?

Not Marc but yes. I've also read some Marc.

What? Are these threads becoming completely choked with memetics? I don't visit Veeky Forums for a month and it seems to be gone completely to shit, what the fuck is this, who gives a fuck about your retarded quips that are less than even that.

this might not be the right thread for this, but is vollmann more talented than gimmicky, or what?

never read him, but i figure he's 'historical fantasy'

These threads have gotten so active recently. It's as if we all suddenly said "Fuck it we don't want to talk about meme books anymore"

It's definitely not fantasy.

>imgur
go back to /plebbit/

It's been in the OP for months. What else would you even use?

Glad to be of service.

Yes i have read all of Wolfe.

More gimmicky than talented, i'd say.

Whores whores indians proselytizers whores

hm. have you seen malick's "the new world"? i recently watched and am reading a historical analysis of the (anthropological/geological) separation between eurasia and the americas.

wondering if argall would be unnecessary or not.

If your interests lay in that intersection then Argall might interest you, but there is a dryness to vollmann that makes his most bearable work short.

Just finished In Green's Jungles, and jesus, havent felt this stumped by a book since Gravity's Rainbow

What was the point of the dream on Urth? Just for the Duko to die and for Horn to see Urth?

john green?

I ended up liking it overall but I was on the fence about continuing to read after the first book. Most people hate it. Being the protagonist's companion, as a reader, is admittedly a real chore and you need a masochistic streak to enjoy reading about Covenant.

I'll start reading it tomorrow, really hyped. By the end of the year I'll probably read all of Wolfe.

Nova, Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, Triton, the Neveryon books

And his essay collections are among the best by any SF writer.

When you finish the whole thing watch Aramini's video on it but not before.

ROTHFUSS IS SHIT
SANDERSON IS ANIME

Excellent, just put a bunch on hold from my library. Anyone have a download on his essays? Or where to find them?

Are any of these good?

no

Yes, some of them are.

Mick Farren not so bad but been a while.

Le Guin is pretty decent usually, didn't read this one though