What is a book you can recommend that is similar to this?

What is a book you can recommend that is similar to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=general zapped&f_lang=0&f_columns=0&f_ext=0&f_group=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My diary desu

Infinite Jest

Catcher in the Rye

the mangas?

the fault in our stars

Childhood's End

Gaytard detected

kind of yes

nooo, you need to re-read CE or rewatch NGE

nothing really similar, nothing holistically at least

:-)

i would pay one million internets for the gracious soul that delivers me a ebook, of any format, user please i love you

this ebook

The Bible. Duh.

You mean awful books?

THE BIBLE

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the pinnacle of humanity's legacy.

A Chinese cartoon about robots is greater than Tolstoi. It's greater than any work by Bach or Shakespeare. It's greater than any Da Vinci and Picasso painting.

It's greater than the Sistine Chapel, the Great Wall of China or Great Pyramid of Giza.
It's even greater than Newton Mechanics or Plato's Philosophy.

So, why is it nor regarded as our higher point? It's still too young. Within 2k years, people shall recognize it. We'll not see it happen, but at least we were able too see its inception.

The manga

I sure hope you're trolling. NGE was good but a lot of it is just mystery combined with out of context references to judeo-christian lore and biology terms.

It would be a lot better if the religious stuff was halfway coherent and the biology stuff were remotely relevant or correct.

>It would be a lot better if the religious stuff was halfway coherent and the biology stuff were remotely relevant or correct.

The greatness about NGE is not in those themes desu

Are people just taking part in counter-counter culture when they say nge is shit? hardly any normies I know like it. just goes over their heads. everyone on here seems to either love it or hate it though.

It's a fucking cartoon, loser.

It's a fucking question, loser.

They're not themes, just jarringly wrong references that made it a worse experience for me.

NGE is not about religion, senpai, they just put that to make it cool.
Psychology is the shit in NGE.

>hardly any normies I know like it
It's one of the most popular anime(s)(?) ever.

It is the anime that even people who don't like anime like. It's shallow as fuck and people go way too hard when they look for deeper meanings.
The "philosophical" stuff was super cringy and it would have been a lot better just to take it out.

I still don't hate it though.

The funny thing is whether you were joking or not, you're entirely right. NGE is the penultimate tale of humanity and what it means to be lost in this experience, and the fact it's so polarizing proves this IMO.

When you understand that a gigantic fucking robot is a metaphor for life, you really question why Shinji doesn't want to pilot (seriously, who would really refuse), and simultaneously it slaps every otaku who loves it in the face and tries to wake them up (they reject life, they choose to not pilot the robot).

Hnngg genre dissection is dope. I hope I can meet Anno one day and shoot the shit, he seems p bro.

I know that and just said so, but okay. I'm just saying NGE could have been cooler, and the fact that I feel that way about it means that I disagree with the poster going on about how it's a huge artistic achievement that will be remembered in 2000 years. That shit's gonna seem cheesy to way too many people.

What about the Kaballah/references to Gnosis and Jewish mysticism didn't you

Enjoy/have a problem with?

Ugh damn you posting from a phone.

Ugh like for God's sake could these phone not?

Could watch/read Code Geass. It's literally the exact story of NGE just changed around a bit. As seen how Code Geass copies a scene straight from NGE.

>how Code Geass copies a scene straight from NGE
Shitloads of anime copied scenes straight from NGE, senpai

Yeah cause the paychology in there is just so groundbreakingly great and unseen. Unsure girl who covers up her fears with sex? Never seen before! Girl who is extroverse actually is hurt inside? Amazing! Protagonist has flaws? Whoa whoa what even is this? Re-vo-lu-tio-na-ry Father is not good father? Oh shit I think I just came in my pants.
I like the show, it's way better than 99% of animes but it is on par with a medium/good novel, nothing more.

Their early work was a little too 'new-wave' for my taste, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own - both commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

twilight

But his father is actually good user. And demanding originality in its shallow sense of "fresh plots" is pleb-tier. All those things you mentioned are inexhaustible sources of inspiration.

I don't demand fresh plots (though i wouldn't call pleb to demand it), I demand that people stop acting like eva invented characters that are deeper than your common shonen's protagonist

Sure but don't commit the plebtastic mistake of confusing a work with its fans

these are actually p good answers to OP's question

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=general zapped&f_lang=0&f_columns=0&f_ext=0&f_group=1

How new are you?

It already is too cheesy for many people. When our generation moves on from anime/vidya some day, nobody will remember NGE outside a group of retro-enthusiasts.

I'll say what I always say when this thread comes round: nothing, Evangelion is too rooted in its own medium to be comparable to any work of literature.

No writer has ever had the total thoroughgoing contempt for their own audience that Anno does, except maybe Céline and god knows none of his works are anything like NGE.

it's all just cool stuff that has nothing to do with the plot. It's about love and hate and redemption. BIG THEMES, MAN.

Normies' reaction to it is usually one of "not for me to judge, but the action is great while the pacing is bad". But many serious anime fans genuinely can't stand it, even if they grudgingly acknowledge its influence.

You're an idiot. Read a book.

What the fuck is all this shit about cheese? Did anybody actually watch the show critically? It's like... if anything, it's relentlessly anti-cheesy to the point where there's no fun allowed.

Nigger, please, even the opening reeks of 90s so much it makes me want to puke my guts out.

Can you not spot basic sarcasm or something?

>how do I interpret this overblown opening which is totally at odds with the tone of the show and forms an exaggerated pastiche of the tropes favoured by the audience base that the show goes out of its way time and again to insult and confound

hmmmmmmmmm

It's the most similar to Blindsight by Peter Watts.

This 7th grade EvaGeeks meme interpretation has made me actively hate the anime.

it has a fucking penguin mascot in the hope that people will buy toys of it. name one work of art that does anything so cheesy

'Works of art' don't really do that, it's the kind of stupid shit that mass market anime does. Which is why NGE goes along with it (probably at least partly at the insistence of corporate sponsors etc) but ultimately ends up subverting all that and savagely attacking the whole culture.

I'n not even saying it's good - it's very much the half-realised product of one guy trying to break the system from within and ultimately just being kind of childish, using popular tropes to get people to watch his show and buy his merchandise but then sticking a middle finger up at his fans and telling them they're all idiots for liking it.

I'm really surprised it was popular, it's frankly kind of an abortion. But I love it because it's so nuts.

after living in japan for 5 years i can safely say nothing of any intellectual value will ever come from this country.

the closest you get is shit like this; simple stories that touch upon or mention themes or ideas that those few who look outside their own homogeneous society found in western canon or philosophy

Mishima ffs

is he japanese?

Kek. This is why I love this website. You can't get away with saying shit like this irl and not getting called an elitist. I love you user

retard english conversation amerifat kys

>lived in Japan for 5 years
>can't tell that Mishima is fucking japanese

Yes

because the whole is turning into a big panty-wearing liberal fagtatorship.

>muh african mudhut nignogs are sophisticated!
>fuck saying another country or region or group of people have something wrong, just cop out with ITS CULTURAL DIFFERENCE

fuck you. last time i checked no one thinks working 13 hours a day 6.5 days a week, having stagnant reproduction and production with low levels of happiness, lack of humor, and high suicide rates a good thing

BUT MUH CULTURE

>mishima
>is he japanese?
>yes
Then is he is not intellectually proficient

Do you understand why I asked the question now?

in japan the plebs work long hours
in your shit country the plebs are a racial underclass
i think i know which i like better

I think everybody understands your mental limitations now yes

uh yeah no lol
all people, especially businessmen and the upper elites work 10-18 hours a day. many japanese men spend days at work without coming home and when they do its late at night, barely enough time to bathe shower and sleep.

they dont have times for their family.

if you are familiar with persona 4, its like dojima but often worse.

even my gfs father doesnt come home but maybe twice a week, only at night.

its all because of their mentality of group efforting and working hard. they like to work or at least been seen at working hard (ps a lot of those hours past the 8th or 9th hour is unpaid, voluntary overtime and is a social obligation). people applaud others and brag about how much or how hard they worked. for working so much you think theyd having amazing business and developments, but since the 80s it has not been so. if you are seen taking any time off or resting its viewed negatively or you are lazy. so they are easy prey to parkinsons law, so as not to be seen as lazy or slouching.
this and their inseparability to their traditions makes them high inefficient despite the long man hours. instead of having 1 person with a mop clean a rooms floor in 5 minutes, they have 20-30 people on their hands and knees cleaning with little rags because thats how its always been done (thats hows its been done is the go-to excuse for anything in japan. questioning or simply the question of "why" is unheard of. just do it because thats the way it is).

they are hard headed and are very slow to adapt to new ideas or concepts. anything outside their little bubble of japaneseness is viewed negatively or inferior.

but nah. suicide, family neglection, decling birth rates, depression, stagnation, etc are all perfectly acceptable if you just remember CULTURAL DIFFERENCE ;))))

Haha. You realized how much of a fucking idiot you were and now you are projecting.

If you weren't such a faggot I might feel bad for you

your girlfriend is a pleb from a pleb family
you are a weeaboo faggot in failed recovery
this isn't the board for you
leave

haha good1

>pleb family
you mean a problem that plagues the entire country? ok
>pleb gf, weaboo faggot
So no rebuttals or discussion. Just meaningless insults.
I think the one who needs to leave is you. This might be better suited for you: www.kidzworld.com/forums/books-and-comics

Japan is good. Japan is great.
You bring great shame to our nation.
Great shame I say!
No daughter of proud noodle man will ever marry you.
Shameful dispray!

>penultimate tale of humanity
There's more?

>gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=general zapped&f_lang=0&f_columns=0&f_ext=0&f_group=1
I generally just use torrents. thank you user, you have made me a happy boy.

“My advice to a budding literary critic would be as follows. Learn to distinguish banality. Remember that mediocrity thrives on "ideas." Beware of the modish message. Ask yourself if the symbol you have detected is not your own footprint. Ignore allegories. By all means place the "how" above the "what" but do not let it be confused with the "so what." Rely on the sudden erection of your small dorsal hairs. Do not drag in Freud at this point. All the rest depends on personal talent.”
― Vladimir Nabokov

Nigga, NGE is the epitome of style over substance. There are tons of symbolism that was only added because of aesthetic reasons. Also, it is the form and not the message that most people love about the anime. The film End of Evangelion conveys simple existential dread with a myriad of stylistic techniques that were influenced by Lynch and Jean-Luc Godard. Just don't throw another tantrum because of "muh elitism".

>Ignore allegories.
lol
vlad go back to russia pls

Can a guy sum this thread up for me, thanks?

Life and work of Sigmund Freud desu senpai

>b-but muh weeaboos
>NGE is the greatestest anime of all time
>fuck Japan and everybody that love em
>casual racism
>some guy quoting Vladimir "butterfly-fucker" Nabokov

Thank you,

I can't figure out how to navigate this site. Anything more complicated then Veeky Forums and I'm out. Thanks but no thanks.

not even close

What the fuck? How low has this board sunk?

If you think an anime is serious work of art then go to /a/ or something. I don't believe that anyone who thinks nge is deep has read anything other than YA.

This shouldn't be on a literature board.

It is good as commercial media but that is about it.

2deep4u

cry me a river
to the moon

>one million internets

no work of art has changed me so completely as NGE did

>chinese "hihi oni-chan so cute cutie cutie ahah ihihi ^~^" cartoons are considered works of art
this is why we need a nuclear apocalypse

pleb

Kill yourself.

Read

Who's a more Veeky Forums approved waifu, Rei or Asuka?

You've never read Tolstoy in your whole life, but if you did, then you definitely didn't get it.
Go fuck your waifu pillow and cry about have no one but Anno understand your teenage depression.

ritsuko

>not Misato
Get your shit together.

>something has flaws
>that means it's shit
>hating something because "it could've been better"

No wonder Veeky Forums is filled with kissless virgins.

I don't hate it for being cheesy in places. I've seen the whole series and End of at least three times. I just disagree with people who think it's a GOAT sublime work of art.

tolstoy is plen mate, classy prose but thematically weak(-ish), now ,listen here, rewatch NGE, and try to understand it this time, it's really not that hard, you basically have to go out of your way to misconstrue it, oh wait you do like tolstoy afterall....

Wow. You're right. I just re-watched the whole series and I can totally see what you mean.
Thanks dude!

>Che belle