Best Vonnegut works?

Best Vonnegut works?

why would you do this user

Shit author

Slaughterhouse 5 was alright

I've read all his novels, if I had to choose I'd say Slaughterhouse 5 or Bluebeard.

Cats cradle, a lot of people here don't like him but they got so caught up on the satire being obvious they miss the bigger picture

Breakfast of Champions

Mother Night

I thought Player Piano was really wordy; it definitely lumbers along compared to what he wrote after. The next five novels (The Sirens of Titan; Mother Night; Cat's Cradle; God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; Slaughterhouse-Five) are the peak of Vonnegut's output. Maybe Rosewater doesn't quite rise to the others, all of which are great I think. I might put Sirens at the top.
I thought Breakfast of Champions was a major step down and the beginning of his (general) late-career coast/decline. To me Breakfast has a mean tone that's not in line with the spirit of Vonnegut's work at its best: maintaining dignity and a sense of humor in the face of the horrors of the world.

I've always enjoyed his short story collections more than his novels, specifically Look at the Birdie.

>The Sirens of Titan
That book was utter shit.

>"this exact series of events will happen to you"
>events happen with nothing really happening worthy of attention
>"Blast, I've been taken advantage of. If only I'd not followed my vision and did something different!"

Cat's Cradle and Sirens of titan were my favorites

I've read three.

Mother Night was the best, Slaughterhouse 5 wasn't far behind, and Cat's Cradle is good, but definitely a step down.

Breakfast of Champions
Slaughterhouse Five
Sirens of Titan
Cat's Cradle
Mother Night (basically one scene ranks it this high, you'll know it when you read it)
Deadeye Dick
Jailbird
Hocus Pocus

Those are the only ones I've read. They're all good. Be advised that most people will rank Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle as the best, and those are the ones that most people who have read him at all have read, so maybe start with those. Idk why I'm assuming you haven't read him yet, you didn't actually say that.

this t b h
his writing is only enjoyable if you're a teenager

I know, user. Thread wasted.

I agree with this list.

Vonnegut isn't amazing but his work is enjoyable and certainly something worth at least being aware of.

His novels read pretty quickly. His short stories are generally not worth the effort.

samefag

samefag

My favorites are Cat's Cradle, Mother Night and The Sirens of Titan. I've read, besides those, SH5, Breakfast of Champions and Galapagos and I'd only say that Galapagos is not really good. I have a Galapagos tattoo though... I'll admit that.

Peeps always be afraid to admit that Slaughterhouse 5 is god tier, best thing Vonnegut ever did.

not you again

My personal favorites are Welcome to the Monkeyhouse and Cat's Cradle.