/logic/

Good introductory textbooks on first-order logic?

I'm looking for something like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" but for logic.

Maybe: "Logic on the Left Side of the Brain"?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Through-Mathematical-Logic-Carus-Monographs/dp/0883850362
amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Second-Edition-Outlines/dp/0071755462
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

?

This depends. Are you a left or right brain person?

I have bothbrains

Mmh okay not being much help here.
What's your zodiac sign then?

virgo

If you're asking for school,
Nagel

If you're asking for theory/enjoyment,
Copi

>Copi
book titles?

Are you in school OP?

start with:
Copi, I: Introduction to Logic, Prentice Hall College 1998

it will give you all the basics you need, imho, and some small insight into symbolic logic which is really nice if you plan to jump into it afterwards

I'm transferring next fall from community college

also if you're shit at following Copi, just pick up Nagel, it's light on theory but incredibly easy to follow, still gives you all you need and has a ton of examples, and solved problems. best thing to pick up if you're studying for exam, imho

same guy from what is it like to be a bat?

I read that essay recently. p interesting

The best way to get a solid grip on logic is to study it in a math course. There's typically a course called "Discrete math" which is offered at the 1 or 200 level. It covers truth tables, logic circuits, quantifiers, conditionals, basic proof methods, some classical logic like modus ponens. If you have low math literacy (forgot algebra, struggled mightily with calculus etc.), then there's often a "symbollic logic" course offered in phil departments.

Almost certainly these will be useful for fulfilling a gen-ed requirement. One thing about studying logic is that it's more like math: understanding is born out of doing problems rather than reading.

If you want to really solidify your understanding after taking a course like this, take an "introduction to proofs" or "introduction to advanced math" course (title varies but the idea is the same and just about everyone offers something like this: intro to proof writing). This will give you some better grasp of set theory and how logic is actually deployed. Learning some computer programming (any language or Matlab) will have a similar effect.

I have a pretty solid computer science/lambda calculus foothold. On top of that, I SWTG and have a strong understanding of the history of philosophy up to Hegel.

I'm shooting for a linguistics major, I think, but right now I'm really interested in taking my computer science/philosophy background and "meeting in the middle" with something where there's a lot of overlap.

Has anyone read/heard about about this book? amazon.com/Through-Mathematical-Logic-Carus-Monographs/dp/0883850362

jesus i m too high for this

i somehow mistook nolt for nagel, but yeah i've read it too, it's fun stuff

here's the think i m actually talking about
amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Second-Edition-Outlines/dp/0071755462

As someone who is also interested in math and humanities, my advice is to dispense with the hope that you can find a "meeting in the middle" and fine, sooner than later, a singular thing to focus on. A few characters like Doug Hofstadter seem to be able to have achieved careers doing this sort of thing, but they are by and large the exception. If you keep trying to pursue studies in multiple disparate fields your mind will swirl faster and faster trying to make some big picture out of it, and it can become stressful and distracting.

Anyhow, you sound like you have solid footing in logic and that you really mean to study "first order logic." What are your goals/interests exactly? Are you curious about set theory/foundations of math?

Introduction to Logic and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences by Alfred Tarski

Mario Bunge

Any good books on abductive reasoning?

When I say "meet in the middle" I don't mean that I want to exact some sort of academic synthesis of disciplines. Only that I'd like to find "a singular thing to focus on" which excites me in a manner similar to computer science and philosophy.

I like the "problem solving" aspects of computer science, but I want to work on problems that affect people, not just machines. :-)

There are plenty of "Computational " subjects appearing in colleges now

Everything from computational physics, computational medicine, cognitive computing, computational biology, computational neuroscience etc

Pretty much every subject can be prefixed with "computational" these days and be found at come university

Im probably going to start a PHD with a nearby medical/neurological department doing computational models soon

bump