English student Help me pick a dissertation

English student Help me pick a dissertation.

Was kind of interested in looking at some interactive/ non linear fiction, but I don't know if there is enough to write about from a literary standpoint.

I also want to write about funny literature, but I don't know what the actual thesis would be. Satire? Or a detailed look at what makes something funny?

Also, how interesting is paradise loft? Worth studying as a module?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pynchon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dat pinecone

Please elaborate

What is your native language?

write about the book Veeky Forums wrote

I am English and speak English.

The Veeky Forums book would definitely be unique. It is shit though yeah?

its shit, but the good type of shit. its like the shit that smoothly comes out of your ass and not the watery type of shit

Why don't you analyze greentexts or pasta? I'm being serious here. You can analyze the structure and the main elements of greentexts and what impacto they have on the reader, such as the comedy in them. As for past, you can also do this but take it to the next level, analyzing the palimpsests of some of them and how they can be parodied to an apparently limitless level (I'm thinking of baneposting here).

It would be interesting and fresh, since I doubt anyone has made a serious analysis of that. Your work may be groundbreaking if done well.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pynchon

You literally just described Catch-22. I'm sure you can make some sort of argument relating the non-linear narrative to the style of humor. One example for example is that often times the punchlines to jokes are revealed to the reader before the premise of the joke.

Well that could be interesting, but how do you analyse something that isn't being properly recorded. Plus the internet is huge. How do I track down copypasta, where do you focus the study? There must be studies of Internet story telling, aren't there? If not, I guess that's a hole to be filled. I
I love catch 22, desu I only ever enjoy reading things that make me laugh, but it's surprising how much writing is actually funny.

Never read him, but I guess I could this summer, I DFWed my way through a creative writing module by adding footnotes and it got good grades. So there must be something to lit memes. Shit, I plan on using stirner at some point, just because it's easy and looks like research.

My Twisted World is begging for an in depth analysis. You should write your dissertation on it/

Actually palimpsest is a really good base to analyse, that's what Veeky Forums is and to an extent the whole internet.

Just go to Know Your Meme. They already did that for you. I mean, I gave you the idea, but if you like it and will use it the least you could do is think how to make it work. I could also tell you that since I've been playing with the idea for quite some time now, but that wouldn't help you.

Oh Jesus, wow. The thing is I would read an analysis, but I don't think I would write it. It would be funny to study it as a piece of literature and totally ignore any biography. Just 'is it good literature'. Isn't it a manifesto though?

Also, the point of a dissertation is to make the huge little by focusing on a single aspect. In other words, I'm not asking you to record every single instance of every single pasta, but just focus on one and how it has evolved using a number of the best examples.

There's plenty of interactive fiction especially now that Twine has made game creation simple.

/r/copypasta has a huge compendium of them. i think the ones you should focus on are the navy seal or the good shit pasta

>plebbit

That is interesting, I ought to have a read through a few. Seems like Literature.

Its interesting how they aren't funny out of context.

they're basically glorified injokes

yeah, I don't really care for them. I don't think I can write 10,000 on it anyway.

good. write about something you love, because if you don't love it you will not finish the dissertation

what dissertation only requires 10k words?

I'm thinking of doing mine on 'what is middlebrow', which is a pretty lit choice imho

ugh, no.

high/middle/low brow is just euphemism for high/middle/low class

classism is a very tricky subject to approach, especially in the USA and especially in the current academic climate. If you want to open that can of worms that's on you.

calling something low class is insulting, but in a way so is calling something high-class. So the safe middle is where everyone wants to crowd in and claim as their territory.

Classism is essentially tribalism, this has been explored.

I think your topic is way too general. Narrow, well-defined topics are easiest to work in my experience.

Don't bother. Change courses while you still can to something vocational.

t. English graduate