ITT: God-tier Literature

Post only the best

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TC-86TQO3OY
youtube.com/watch?v=JWRVyaKnGcA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also
>you first

Is this book worth reading? I went out to dinner on saturday with friends, and one of them started to praise how amazing this book is, and all of the other ones agreed with her. I am hesistant because when the conversation changed to american literature, i told them that i thought that no other american has had anything interesting to write since faulkner died (just to see what kind of reaction i would get) and they proceeded to shut my down and name john green, and fucking dan brown as rebuttals. Relevant to note that none of us are americans, but students currently living in us.

Things Fall Apart is great.

John Green is not good, but he is not awful.
Dan Brown is fucking dogshit

Your friends should be slapped for their Dan Brown praise.

>i told them that i thought that no other american has had anything interesting to write since faulkner died
You are actually worse than they are.

get better friends

first, u have to not be a faggot

The person who wrote is clearly very talented but I can't say that I found it all that worth reading. It might that I can't relate to what they're talking about or that the style is too alien but aside from some beautiful descriptions I didn't really get much from it that the title itself doesn't evoke for me just as well.

Well I don't know about you or your friends, you all sound very young and a little senseless. But Things Fall Apart is a great novel and certainly worth reading

Well, we are all in our ealy 20s, but why do you say that?

He said he was just trying to get a rise out of them, I don't think he actually believes that (if he does, lol).

Hyperbole is killing this planet.

As I understand it, Things Fall Apart might be worth praising because it exists at all. In much the same way that poorly executed early literature (early in general or for its period) like beowulf and red badge of courage are important, it's pretty much the one shining light of african literature. That Things Fall Apart is un-nuanced shouldn't really be surprising. African lit is very far behind.

hmmmmmg

>
>. That Things Fall Apart is un-nuanced shouldn't really be surprising. African lit is very far behind.

Your analysis is un-nuanced.

youtube.com/watch?v=TC-86TQO3OY

When a man names his book after a Yeates' The Second Coming and uses it as a metephore for the process and experiance of colonialism it's probably a good indication that it's going to be smart. It also tries to reclaim a very african voice in how it speaks as much as it has to say.

This isn't on the same level as John Green or Brown.

when we gettin a scan of this shit

What's the yams?

You reply to the wrong post?

fr34ky

So he can use his age to devalidate your opinions without actually making a real argument.

When it gets republished--never, which, honestly, is really sad, because it IS a masterpiece.

Heart of Darkness was better than it though.

+ Conrad isn't a racist.

those opinions just don't sound like adult opinions, that's all I mean by it.

>The Second Coming

start at 9:06

youtube.com/watch?v=JWRVyaKnGcA

how old we talking? because beowolf is like 700 ce, red badge of courage is 1900

DELETE THIS

Not old in an 'old' sense (it came out in 1958), but old as in it represents one of the earlier examples of literature from what we would perceive as 'modern' Africa - the text is born directly out of the ashes of the colonial power structure and you can really feel Achebe stretching out in all directions to see what the fledgeling African literary voice can be.

Don't listen to what he has to say about Heart of Darkness though - that essay is fucking one-note and moronic, and it paved the way for a lot of the spineless leftist 'dats raycist' criticism that floods the field today.

>god tier novels
>posts book with no plot and shitty writing
>entire story is just 'bad stuff happens'
>incredibly boring and has nothing to make me continue reading

Also, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward was great.

Ulysses

It's a solid 0/10. Boring as shit, shit writing, no plot, etc.

>bad stuff happens
Kek

Catcher in the Rye

Nice try, but try again opie
Catch 22

>cancer
>god tier

Lol Yams.