Listening music while reading ?

Do you listen to music while reading books? I personally like to listen to some classical music while doing so.

Post music you listen to while reading, if you do.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SCm9O2KNEX4
youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=VbxgYlcNxE8
youtube.com/watch?v=w7v3mX-jz4Y
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can you tell me some of the classical musics that you listen?
I only listen to punk rock shit, i don't listen to it while reading obviusly
But i want to try doing it, with classical music and stuff
Thanks

Sometimes, and it is pretty much never anything with lyrics. Some classical, some jazz. I was on a big Brian Eno kick for a while, especially Music for Airports.
It really depends what you want. Do you want something a little more laid back, or could you do more exciting pieces?

Something pretty casual for a guy who never listened classical music would be fine
Appreciate it, thanks user

Well, just for getting into classical in general (not just reading), I would recommend Dvorak's New World Symphony. Just skip to the finale for starters. The 1812 Overture is very fun and accessible. To bring the size down a bit, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor is a good piano piece.
youtube.com/watch?v=SCm9O2KNEX4
youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=VbxgYlcNxE8

If you want something calmer, listen to Debussey.
I just got honest with myself, I pretty much never read and listen to classical, I always end up sitting there listening to music staring blankly at the book. I just tried and caught myself doing that.

Thanks people, i'll listen to those now meanwhile reading Fanhreneit 451 (decent book btw)

>Fanhreneit 451
Protip: it's not about censorship, unless you kill the author.

Also there's a Fahrenheit 451-inspired italian Donald Duck comic about music being outlawed.

Only some of these are on my reading list, but you should listen to these.

1. Cello Concerto in E Minor 1st Mov, Edward Elgar (Yo-Yo Ma does it best imo)

2. Chaconne, J.S. Bach (I'm partial to Yehudi Menuhin's)

3. Passacaglia, Handel-Halvorsen (Itzhak Perlman & Pinchas Zuckerman version is amazing)

4. Vocalise, Rachmoninov

5. Aria, J.S. Bach

6. Violin Concerto in G Minor, Mozart

7. Arabesque No.1, Claude Debussy

8. Clair de Lune, Claude Debussy

9. "In Paradisum," Gabriel Faure

10. Cello Sonata No.3, Op.69 , III Mov, Beethoven

BONUS: Violin Concerto E Minor OP.64, Mendelssohn (Hillary Hahn for this one)

I have many more favorites, but it really depends on your tastes and what you are reading (i.e., the atmosphere you want to nurture).

P L E B
L
E
B

Forgot to include something with this beauty in it.

SECRET BONUS: "Ah! Mio cor! Schernito sei." - Handel, performed by Petricia Petibon

youtube.com/watch?v=w7v3mX-jz4Y

Then please, enlighten me. Criticisms are cheap, and certainly not indicative of an elevated class.

That's ironic since i was born and live in Italy :^)

Screen cap'd
Thanks people, i really like these ones

Don't listen to classical music whilst reading you fud. It's more than just le pretty background noise. You end up not giving either medium the attention it deserves

Not him, but
>aria - Bach
>chaconne - Bach
>Passacaglia - Handel

is basically the same as saying

Act II - Shakespeare
Chapter 25 - Tolstoy

It doesn't mean anything, those are just simple musical terms. I could try to guess which pieces you mean, based on popular works (like the Bach is probably from Violin Partita no. 2 in D minor and the aria from Goldberg Variations) , but those words are useless.

Also
>single movements of multi-movement pieces

Again, it's like only reading 50 pages of a book.

I have listened to some classical music with the volume very low, otherwise I focus too much on the music. Haven't done it in a while though and generally prefer to read without music. If I'm enjoying the book, I really don't care if anything else is going on, and probably wouldn't notice the music anyway.

Among non-classicists these terms always refer to the same pieces, which will be the first results found on youtube
>Again, it's like only reading 50 pages of a book.
That's a terrible comparison. It's more like reading one chapter of a thematic anthology.

I listen to pirate metal when reading Moby Dick, and lolishit when reading lolita.

Oh yeah certainly a better comparison but I was being imprecise intentionally since it's just stupid to recommend a single movement of a piece and I want to stamp out the practice. Sure, say that you enjoy a certain movement more than the others and you should definitely listen out for that one, but at least on a first listen, go through the whole thing

I listen to music while I read. But there's nothing specific, I let my music shuffle. I might be listening to Miles Davis one second and end up on Drake the next. It never bothered me or distracted me and I find it actually helps me drown out the loud ass neighbors who constantly fight outside.

I second all of this, but especially your first point. Listening to classical music while reading could only possibly give you the most shallow appreciation for the music. Just focus on whatever your doing, you don't need a million different stimuli going at once. If you're listening to music, listen to music; if you're reading, read.

I generally listen to An Empty Bliss Beyond This World by The Caretaker. It is very relaxing, it helps me concentrate, especially when I read at school -I get very distracted when people are walking by.