Where do I start with Schopenhauer?

Where do I start with Schopenhauer?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/44929/44929-h/44929-h.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Los Griegos

gutenberg.org/files/44929/44929-h/44929-h.htm

die Griechen

is it just me or is his hair line receding?

Based Wolverine.

it receded all the way to the sides of his head

It was already fairly recessed when he was younger.

A good understanding of Kant and Hegel's works will be very helpful.

Then, read The World as Will and Representation, Die beiden Grundprobleme der Ethik, On the Basis of Morality, On the Freedom of the Will and the second part of Parerga and Paralipomena to get a good grip at his main views.

Afterwards, take a look at the first part of Parerga and his lesser known essays. The Upanishads might also be worth a read.

A solid grounding in Kant is necessary. Familiarity with Plato, Descartes, Hume, Berkeley, and the Upanishads would also be helpful.

Then you can jump right in.

Fourfold Root

Nietzche

I don't care for his main work because I don't care for metaphysics, but I really like his essays.

Translation: "I'm a dirty pleb."

Start with:
On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason
The World as Will and Representations, Vol. 1
The World as Will and Representations, Vol. 2

You'll find your way out of the bottle too, my little fly.

*Representation

Start with Hegel's dad. He's the Schopenhauer of Idealism

Just read /r9k/.

Same fucking thing.

studies in pessimism is a nice collection of his essays and a good place to start

Just kill yourself

Hijacking thread to request a quote from Schoppy. It was something like "Don't commit suicide. It would only be one more futile act in a lifetime of futile acts." I saw it posted here once and haven't been able to find it since. Thx bbys.

Schopenhauer was just a failed normie, Nietzsche was the true ubermensch robot

>gutenberg.org/files/44929/44929-h/44929-h.htm
OP, If you don't have a solid understanding of Kant's philosophy, you'll bore to death and you won't understand a damn thing. Probably you should start reading PART III: The Founding of Ethics. You'll read some serious shit about morality

Bryan Magee's Philosophy of Schopenhauer is all you need. he covers the previous transcendental idealists.

Philosophy of Schopenhauer/WWR I+II/Penguin essays if you want (WW II basically covers the same ground)

I don't recall this quote from any of his published works - and it's not such an accurate summary of his argument against suicide. I think it's just a funny catchphrase that was created for pic related.

someone recommended this on philosophy forums

broke and want to have a copy for reference so i dont want to get one on loan from the library

u know where i could find a ebook copy or pdf??

Half Price Books if you're lucky

Suicide is an affirmation of the will because it is an attempt, misguided or not, to escape from suffering, and a desire to escape from suffering is just another thrashing of the will no different from any other, and it won't injure the Will--of which your individuality is an illusory ephemeron in--any more than a wave breaking on the shore injures the sea.

Which of his works deals with art, music, and aesthetics
I forget the name

With Schopenhauer, you don't need an extensive background in previous philosophers to understand him since he's a fairly clear writer. That said, start with a basic understanding of Plato, Kant and Buddhism. Wikipedia should suffice.

Next, read Essays and Aphorisms, edited by Hollingdale. The introduction is VERY useful for understanding Schopenhauer's basic ideas. The volume is also very readable, at least by 19th century philosophy standards.

Honestly, you can probably stop here. But if you really want to, read the World as Will and Representation, both volumes. The sections on epistemology, ethics and aesthetics are especially worth reading. Feel free to skip most of his stuff on the natural sciences.

The Greeks.

The worst kind of unfreedom is the one that is not even perceived as such. Ur the fly fgt.

Metaphysik des Schönen.

Thank you

If it's not perceived as such it's literally unproblematic, silly.

Opinions on Aphorisms on the Wisdom of Life? That's one of the few of his books available on my local library.

It's nice. When Schoppy goes 'casual' he says more useful stuff than when he tries to build philosophical systems.

It wasn't for nothing that he was completely disregarded until he started writing essays on actual life.

It's not a bad read, but as he says himself it pretty much ignores the main theme of his philosophy, so it won't give you a good notion of his system - which, maybe in disagreement with , I've found to be a worthwhile study; his argument for the a priority of the form of causality in the perception of the real world, his distinctions and arguments regarding different kinds of freedom of the will, and his examinations of subjective consciousness and its objects (especially in self-consciousness) are a few points I found especially interesting.

that's not entirely true. although the idea of freedom may vary between cultures some cultures are objectively 'free-er' than others. although it would be correct to say that someone who has only known one permutation of freedom would feel 'free' in that particular context, if exposed to a culture with more freedom they would start being aware of their unfreedom. i believe the sensation also varies, the idea of freedom is not one particular feeling it is on a scale.

I read a collection of aphorisms and found the one about art to be particularly stimulating, though I don't know if you'd find it in that one.

Would you happen to have a link to it at a German/Austrian online store? Is it out of print or something?

His son.