ITT: Great novels no one has heard of

Except you

Check on The Sporting Club by McGuane if you get a chance.

This book is like the lovechild of Faulkner and Salvador Dali. So much fun, and nobody outside of Portugal has heard of him.

I'm looking forward to reading more McGuane. Got ninety two in the shade for a few bucks the other day. Always great finding a new author you like

The Tartari Desert by Dino Buzzati.

Someone on lit recommended it to me a long time ago, and it really stuck with me. Haven't seen it mentioned here since. It's nice.

Bump. These have actually been really great suggestions so far

>tfw I thought there was still time

Anyway, Ransmayr's The Last World

>no one has heard of Airships
Dude, what?

>The Tartari Desert
Tiziano Terzani is good too

Why haven't you read it, Veeky Forums.

wtf an old man in front of me on the bus today was reading this book
he was shaking so much I think he maybe had Parkinsons

>youngest son in a small midwestern family
>be jelly of older brother
>he dies after a shaving accident
>mother becomes depressed
>go away to college
>have ess ee ex with a prostitute with frat bros but feel bad
>fall for a qt Stacy
>she begins dating a black student
>everybody gets mad
>she has a kid with him and he leaves
>start orbiting her
>visit home from college
>fall for a local qt
>get cucked by only male friend
>discover mother is unwell
>father caught syphilis from a prostitute and infected her
>book ends

It's okay.

There's a chapter where the main character gets hemmeroids removed by a doctor on amephetimines . Maybe he was reading that part and has hemmeroids

Not really that obscure, but rarely see them mentioned on Veeky Forums

>Jose Saramago - The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

>Tomasi di Lampedusa - The Leopard

>Henrik Ibsen - Emperor and Galilean (his best work, but everyone is about muh peer gynt, muh doll's house)

Fun read for the aspie inside all of us.

people have heard of it, just not mentioned as much as it should (or maybe shouldn't) on lit. The stories blew me away

In English it's The Tartar Steppe. Great book, great ending. I was especially moved by the chapter in the middle where Drogo goes back to his hometown and visits his would-be sweetheart one last time (whose name I forget).

Heard about it on Veeky Forums too.

As a Minnesotan, no one ever talks about J. F. Powers

I want someone to discuss it with so bad

Huh, I was already aware of Abelard's position as an important Medieval philosopher, but I had no idea of his life. How much would recommend their letters?

i've read the asshole of judas. was good shit. i'm a portuguese-canadian, though, so you're basically right

Ayyy, that may have been me. Check out his short stories too (though I don't know if they've been translated into English).

Maybe it's me but I haven't seen Berlin Alexanderplatz mentioned ever.

because you never scanned it

I may, if I ever have time, but that won't be for a while.

I loved The Dog of the South by Portis and True Grit of course.

Morte d' Urban was a great book. Another NYRB book I picked just because of the publisher.

I ride NYRB's dick HARd

McTeague by Frank Norris

It's a forgotten classic of gilded age American lit, and it's just fucking fun to read

they are the creme de la creme as far as antiquated loveletters go but maybe it's just the romanticist in me. I quite liked them

>fare thee well, one who makes me fare well

I originally read them as background on good old peter's theological beliefs though. they've got some of that too.

>Berlin Alexanderplatz

I remember more than one thread about it but that was a couple of years ago.

I'm sure some of you must have at least heard about it though. It was recommended to me by Veeky Forums two years ago too.

I'm not implying that "old Veeky Forums was better" or anything of the sort, btw. Just making a note.