Have you ever found yourself in the position where you had to teleologically suspend the ethical, Veeky Forums?

Have you ever found yourself in the position where you had to teleologically suspend the ethical, Veeky Forums?

I bet James Joyce painted that picture

what does that even mean, man

>[fear and trembling intensifies]

I suppose I, like many others, could point to one or more ends-justify-the-means situations, which we ought to be really careful about because this can lead to some serious justification gymnastics. I suppose I did do the suspending, but I'm not sure I've ever really needed to.

Every time I masturbate to traps

>teleologically suspend the ethical, Veeky Forums?
what does this mean again?

As somebody who doesn't prescribe to the infinite my only chasm is between myself and society.

One is always suspended whilst the other hovers patiently ready to pounce when the one vacates making a void.

shooting heroin

rape

Sound it out, retard
>teleology
Value
>suspend
Stop (temporarily)
>ethical
Moral

Put them together, we get 'based on your judgment of the situation and the greater good, temporarily put aside ethics'

im doing it right now

Would lying to the Gestapo be a teleological suspension of the ethical?

>teleology = "value"

wew lad

>teleology
>value
What did he mean by this ?

That's even more nonsensical.

>ethical = moral

wew lad

No because I'm not God you fucking idiot

Doing something one would deem unethical for God's sake.
No, thank God no.

I was reading St. Augustine and he had a whole small chapter that discussed this in exactly Sauron's terms, denying God's moral relativity but man suspending ethics for God's ultimate will, like, exactly. It's the part in Oxford's Confessions a few pages before the chapter called Manichee and Astrologer (too lazy to look up the exact number of the paragraph).

I feel cheated reading any of Fear and Trembling, now, other than Sauron has that kind of flamboyant writing style of 19th century philosophers that I enjoy.

I enrolled in a liberal art college because god told me so, even though "society" thinks I should be a doctor or something material like that.

You must be more precise Confusicius
Obfuscation does not make you sound more intelligent

wat

>Obfuscation

kek, fuck off retard

That's better! At least I can understand what you mean here.

Good for you. Too bad you're still retarded.

Yeah this only comes up in god dream power struggle situations so no

Are you dumb?
Teleology = the study of things as pertaining to purpose and not assumed causes.
Suspend = Stop(temporarily)
Ethical =/= Moral
Ethics = rules respected by humans as social principals, what society says is right and wrong
Morals = Individual thoughts pertaining to good and evil, what we say as individuals is right and wrong.

Isn't there a case to be made that, since God is the ultimate arbiter of what's moral and ethical, you never actually suspend the ethical at all if you act in accordance with his will?

Or did I completely misunderstand F&T?

Only God is able to suspend it because he knows the endgame and you don't, forcing us to act in accordance to ethics, but God only according to his own goodness.
Op is a meme.

I've been wondering about this. What role does the knowledge of good and evil play in ethics and morals? Do humans ultimately have a flawed sense of what's right and what's wrong?

It's man that suspends his perception of what's ethical for the teleological endgoal God has in mind. Not the other way around.

>teleologically
Don't we do that every day?

I would hope not. Maybe you do?

I see know other way when adapting to the magnitude of shifting principles I'm constantly exposed to. It's probably why I'm a spineless pacifist with very few opinions

I try to suspend judgement as much as I can, homo familiaris.

I have shamelessly lied to the woman ı love in her face, in order to covertly express my feelings and form some sort of bond with her, not purely as to make her like me back (that's impossible), but so ı can assist or make her a bit happier in whatever (admitedly insignificant) way ı'm capable of... if that counts--and perhaps it is purely due to how far fucking removed from their motivations they are, that my actions at times strike me as devotional. Mostly, it felt like some sort of void in my chest, followed by a forced smile to myself, and a meditation on how terrible it was that people could so easily be lied to, and how little merit manipulation really has.

PS: I'll be reading Kierks' The Seducer's Diary pretty soon, hope it gives some insight.

Yes, that's all about Adam's fall. We can't eat the apple of knowledge. The knowledge here is the moral knowledge. Only god can know moral.

I've been in a similar situation where that void in the chest feeling was actually incurred by the futility of not wanting to be infatuated but failing to do so

Why did you not want to be infatuated? I mean, ı can understand not wanting to act on it, but personally, ı can't see the feeling itself as a bad thing (if we're talking about love).

Being infatuated is probably the best emotion you can have as a human being.

Never had to, knock on wood, but I know someone who has, which makes me wonder if I could

The best...and the worst

Of course.
There is a moment... *BANG*

Ok in all seriousness, sometimes the non-ethical thing to do is the best for everyone.

>sauron
>sauron Kierkegaard

Was the creation of the Uruk Hai an example of the teleological suspension of the ethical?

no, but i've pondered the ineluctable modality of the visible XD

Letting Golum live was.

met him pike hoses?

>Have you ever found yourself in the position where you had to teleologically suspend the ethical, Veeky Forums?

No.

t. Immanuel

being infatuated, to me at least, means losing myself into the object of desire. it can give me a new found purpose but as a result just utterly destroys me. doesn't seem to stop me though, and of course always ends the same

>it can give me a new found purpose but as a result just utterly destroys me.
Don't see how the former is intrinsically good and the latter samely bad, to be h, my fellow human. We're constantly getting destroyed and regenerating, if you ask me, physically and mentally--we just don't notice because that awareness isn't necessary (and perhaps can even be dangerous) to a living organism.

If you think of all the things your clothes, your food, your house, your computer and so on, used to be, you might get an idea of what ı mean.

i embarked on a week-long xanax binge, forgot everything, and hated myself after—if that's what you're talking about