Cringe facts on reading

Cringe facts on reading

>the best selling genre are romance fiction
>The author of 50 shades of Grey is worth $55 million because she wrote an erotic Twlight fanfiction, which she later re-edited as a stand alone book
>50 percent of people will never read a book after they finish school

>50 percent of people will never read a book after they finish school

really? jesus. i'm lucky

Why do you care about these facts, OP?

Daniel Steel is worth 550+ million, she writes cringe romance novels. She has around 100 novels published.

She isn't cringe herself but her buyers are.

Her book is very simple, as if an 8th grader wrote it. She is the Twlight of the romance world.

>1 percent of people own 80 percent of the world's resources

really? jesus. i'm lucky

>Why do you care about these facts, OP?

Great question.

I care because I'm doing market research. As a Kindle Publisher, I need to understand markets. Books don't sell if there is no market for it.

Secondly, it's very interesting peeping into the lives of other people. What makes them read, say, Game of Throne rather than a history or science book? Why are adults compelled to read children YA (Adults reading Harry Potter etc)

Also, having a understanding of the pleb taste is very profitable. After the release of "50 shades of grey", many Indie kindle publishers wrote spin offs like "Taken by a Billionare" or "The Billionaire Party" and they made $100k+ USD etc.

Oh, and I like cringe stuff to laugh at.

On the other hand, the two bestselling books of all time are Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, which isn't honestly a pretty good outcome given its peers (Fifty Shades, Harry Potter).

percent of people will never read a book after they finish school
I only read one book DURING my school days, and I feel extremely blessed by this fact because retard failure-in-life English teachers didn't get to ruin the experience of reading literature for me.
I've seen them ruin it for many of my classmates though. (Of course I wasn't asleep 100% of the time.)

This author is a Kindle Publishing multi-millionaire. Notice the title: "shades of vampire".

You don't have to be clever to make money off publishing books - just understand pleb taste.

Women liked vampires and 50 shades of grey ... so you just combine them and voila! Shades of Vampire.

Again, kudos to the author. There is nothing cringe about making millions. But her fan base is cringe as fuck, they're like bronies.

>On the other hand, the two bestselling books of all time are Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, which isn't honestly a pretty good outcome given its peers (Fifty Shades, Harry Potter).

Yeah but The Hobbit and LOTR was published LONG before Harry Potter and 50 shades of grey, so you have to take that into account.

I know, and they both outsold Tolkien as a series. It's a ray of pretty good in a sky of endless shit.

>I feel extremely blessed by this fact because retard failure-in-life English teachers didn't get to ruin the experience of reading literature for me.

Yeah my high school English teacher was pretty fucking cringe. He was a dweeb who drove a shit car and, more likely than not, a SJW

You think English teachers are bad?

Think of all the school librarians. Mine was *hard* into YA books, and must've been 50-60 years old.

>Total percentage of U.S. families who did not buy a book this year 80%

>Total percentage of adults that have not been in a book store in the past 5 years 70%

The cringe is real.

Ewww yeah, I would say 95 percent of high school teachers are cringe shit, it's like a plumbing job for middle class people.

It's not even a real job, when you're working 6 hours a day and get a 3 month vacation every day (2 months summer break + misc breaks throughout the year spring break, Christmas break etc)

>It's not even a real job, when you're working 6 hours a day and get a 3 month vacation every day (2 months summer break + misc breaks throughout the year spring break, Christmas break etc)
Even I know that's bullshit, user.

how the fuck is that cringe worthy?

>what are libraries

Mine was pretty based. She got me to read Faulkner and Nabokov for the first time, and encouraged me to pick up writing proper literary fiction. She also managed to bring in professors from the big university nearby to lecture us, so we got pretty quality instruction.
And this was all at a public school.
Plus she was young, hot, and had tattoos.

>what is ordering online?

>work six hours a day
AHHHAhAHAHAHAHA WOOO BOY
Your papers don't magically grade themselves, kiddo. Not to mention many schools have mandatory attendance for out of school events, staff meetings, and lesson planning.
The three months off is nice, but the pay is too garbage to consider the job cushy.

It's funny, 'cause it was my history teacher that did that for me. But he suggested Thus Spake Zarathustra to me, but the dumb thirteen year old I was only remembered "Zarathustra" and ended up reading about Zoroastrianism. Still interesting as fuck.

Christ, couldn't she at least though of a better title, something like 'Shades of Red'.

book stores are the cancer responsible for the rest of the shit mentioned here tbvf

This shill spent 3 minutes explaining what she snacks while she's reading a book, and of course, she is affiliated with the snack company and gets money every time someone orders using her promo code.

Again, nothing cringe about making money; she is a smart Jew shill making money off dumb people.

>1 percent of people own 80 percent of the world's resources

Factually untrue can't believe people fall for this meme

>She is the Twlight of the romance world
twilight is the twilight of the romance world. twilight is literally a romance novel

>What makes them read, say, Game of Throne rather than a history or science book?
they read for entertainment

oh how positively cringe xDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>What makes them read, say, Game of Throne rather than a history or science book?
The fact that it has engaging characters and storylines, provides escapism and is accessible. your elitism isn't impressing anyone.
>Why are adults compelled to read children YA (Adults reading Harry Potter etc)
>children YA
Children's fiction and YA are both separate genres, in case you didn't know. Young Adult novels are aimed at young adults. There are a lot of reasons why someone would read Harry Potter - to understand the monumental cultural significance of it, to bask in feelings of nostalgia (it was first published in the 90s), and just for simple, easy escapism/enjoyment. Can someone please tell me what is so wrong about reading just for pleasure and not in some grand quest to better yourself and reflect on all the "deep" aspects of life and philosophy?

>reading for pleasure
>Veeky Forums

>tfw smart and always in the top english class
>tfw amazing english teachers.
sometimes it feels like I will never fully comprehend a book as well as I could with them

>thirteen year old
>reading Nietzsche
lol, you should both kys

Found the teacher. God damn, y'all are as bad as stay at home mothers squawking, "um...actually, it's the hardest job in the world," crap.

Being a teacher is cushy as fuck. Boo-hoo you have to attend the school play and talent shows. You get 3 months of the year off (in b4, "um...actually...no, we make lesson plans and are forced to attend new training), the second you get tenure, short of getting caught diddling kids it's nearly impossible to get fired, and then since your god damn bullshit ass union is so fucking big, you hold the state hostage to give you bigger and bigger pensions to do even fucking less in retirement. And then you have the gall to say how unjust it is when someone suggests testing to weed out the good from the bad teachers, and oh wait here comes your union again calling for another strike.

Teachers are a god damn joke and one of the primary reasons this country is going to shit. They should all be fired, tenure abolished, pensions renegotiated, every public school turned private, and then forced to reapply for their jobs.

Why would she bother putting in the extra time and effort that that would require.

It would make absolutely no difference to the sales of the book and her entire motivation is money.

People who buy this shit, buy it regardless.

kysmm

>paying for books

>not paying for books
>wonders why literature and reading is dying

Gun to head. Pull trigger.

We don't really need new novels, there's already enough stuff to cover a lifetime of reading and contemporary novels are mostly garbage money grabs

>this is what retards actually believe

Top tier argument.
>uh huh ur dumb ! HA HA

If you use "we don't need new novels" as your justification for just downloading everything you want for free, there's no point in arguing with you. You're a lost cause. A waste of time.

Sounds like you can't refute him.

I support testing teachers to make sure they aren't shit, but you have to be out of your god damn mind if you think we get paid well. Also, tenure isn't as easy to get as you think.
But abolishing the education system as we know it only to open it up to worse wages is fucking stupid. The only reason there are so many garbage teachers is because unless you have a weird desire to teacher a certain age group, the best and brightest (or even just good and bright) have no incentive to teach kids.
You want better teachers, fire the idiots and raise the pay for the new positions significantly so it isn't a bunch of washouts.

Money and fame are his only chance.

My mother has around 40 of her books.
They have big letters and small ammounts on text on the page.
The books would be only half as big if the letters weren't that big

u have to get rid of the "job for life" teachers union thugs...educating students is not the same as assembling a ford..."job for life" attracts the worst scum, many of home seem to develop sadistic tendencies towards the kids knowing they can't be fired...basically it's a way for jerks who like to bust balls flourish knowing they can never get shitcanned and are free to make helpless kids miserable...i work at a college that draws instructors from both high schools and university...the difference is night and day...the university people love learning, knowledge and helping people learn...the high school people just want a secure job with a lot of vacation time, and the fact that get to be a dick to struggling people is just a bonus to them, and they are universally ignorant as fuck with no love for knowledge...as soon as a new hire says they used to work at xyz high school in the hood i know they are going to be a bozo

First of all, you sound like a freshman who's mad about their high school experience I doubt you "work" at the college as any more than a work-study.
Second, raising the pay to attract better teachers would solve that. Lowest common denominator educators wouldn't be the only ones interested in the job meaning the hiring pool would be bigger. College level pays more, so more people are interested and the schools have more choices when it comes to finding motivated people.

lmao.
Here is your post fampai.
You dropped it

>There are a lot of reasons why someone would read Harry Potter - to understand the monumental cultural significance of it

Holy fuck. Back to lel reddit you go.

I hate "young adult" as a phrase.
You are either a "youngster" or you are an "adult"
This whole "don't hurt me I'm having a phase,I'm evolving like a pakamon" thing makes me throw up.

Grandpa,get off the internet, you need to go to physical therapy for your hip.

yea it's actually 99% of resources

fuck off,I actuall had physical therapy.
This is too close to home.

Is that you, Donald?

Skillet is not a bad band

you're fired

Nigga you know baby sitting high school kids is a cringe job because you're a hiding nigga, instead of going out there and making an impact on the world (ie, working for Google etc)

>Book 26
why are the masses the way they are?

He did, you claim that there's no point in modern literature so we should just give up. That makes no sense; if we give up on modern literature there will never be good new lit

Competition in the market place raises wages

Because they're cringe. They don't read for self improvement or better understanding of the world, they read for entertainment.

he's like i'm ready to give you the dick now baby, forever will i do it. im ready to do you now

>most users here will have a 4-month passing interest in reading before they move to another board

who cares about his car?

Nice picking and choosing.

It's like when people complain about Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus. They might be millionaires, sure, but the highest selling music albums are still Thriller, Sgt. Pepper, and Dark Side of the Moon.

At the simplest level, people watch more youtube videos than movies. If a person had the exact same affinity for romance novels and high literature, they would inevitably spend more money on romance novels because they are written with the intent of being easy to read.

You're right, I shouldn't make fun of his car but he was a cringe SJW none of the less.

>the 80 richest people own more than the poorest 4 billion

They do not know it, but they do it.

Bah, it's still a disgrace that The Davinci Code sold that much. Fuck Dan Brown.

So?

>but the highest selling music albums are still Thriller, Sgt. Pepper, and Dark Side of the Moon.
that's just as fucking tragic

>Lolita
>Russian

wat the fuck

>The Davinci Code
Yeah The Davinci Code is pleb tier.

do I smell an an-cap or right libertarian?

When did Veeky Forums become populated with all of these right wing idiots? This is the stupidest fucking shit Ive ever read on this board. Even if teaching was cushy, it should be. Its the most important job in society. Without teachers knowledge does not get passed down.

How fulfilling is it?

Not really, its just corporate brain washing at work. They just want her to advertise for them, make people want a product because "Its what my favorite dip-shit youtuber uses!" Shes just using the advertising revenue to try an monetize her hobby, which comes from the company being advertised.

Please stop smoking crack. I know no one else cares for you, but im here to tell you I do!

Yeah but I dont think we should make education "competitive" education is about helping people.

>you get three months off a year
>Don't you try to argue this with any actual facts, I'm right, okay?

>Unionism is bad
>Lets just ignore the precedent of a pre-union society, where worked were constantly abused and treated unfairly,

>Teachers are a god damn joke and one of the primary reasons this country is going to shit

The teachers aren't at fault, it's the higher ups in the education system making bullshit curriculums. Most of my teachers were extremely passionate and quite knowledgeable about their topics, and willing to learn if they weren't. Though the teachers in less challenging subjects were worse teachers, and generally gave less of a shit, so maybe that's your issue?

>They should all be fired, tenure abolished, pensions renegotiated, every public school turned private, and then forced to reapply for their jobs.

I'm not even going to try to address this, it's just ridiculous.

Im not sure hes even been to a school before or met a teacher for that matter.

Oh god, people like things I don't? Guess I better kill myself.

Yes, now force yourself to churn out page after page of pandering schlock without killing yourself.

I'd rather be a telemarketer.

>Went to school

Judging from his reasoning skills, not likely.

So then just call them manchildren? Stunted adults? Millennials?

True.

Seems pretty unlikely, seeing as he lacks even a basic knowledge about the history of employee rights or how the education system works.

It's always interesting how you can so clearly see when a /pol/ or /r9k/ poster leaks over onto this board though, it's way more obvious than anywhere else.

Yeah. I didn't care much for my English teachers. Very lazy, rude and simple.
The librarians are always very nice. Both the school and public librarians I've met are very nice.

>watching booktubers
How do you people do this? Read a peer reviews article if you must but don't watch crappy booktubers.

fucking unionists, in short, unions threatening to sue and waste everyones money if we don't do what the prole says. No matter how slim the chance of them actually winning it's still a huge waste of time and resources

That means you really aren't as smart as you think you are user.

>Spend months reading and analysing the text, writing various essays and holding discussions
of course this is more comprehensive then reading a book a week you dense cunt

Are you implying that a thirteen year old is not the perfect reader for Nietzsche?

>the way her eye color matches her hair

She is a qt3.14

This right here. You want better teachers, you want a better education? Put it on the market.

Do I smell ass pained red?

Spooky.

>yfw you realize Agatha Christie is the 30s' 50 shades and Jack Higgins is the 70s' Dan Brown
>yfw people will praise the latter both as modern classics