What are the essential stories of Poe?

What are the essential stories of Poe?
I have already read a few:
The black cat
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Cask of Amontillado
The Masque of the Red Death
The Purloined Letter

They were good,especially the mystery/decetive ones.

What about that bird one.

i listened to vincent price read ligeia and im not sure if it was actually good or if i just thought it was because of his voice

>Audiobooks

That one about like this one house of usher and like a fall or something idk

it was just on youtube and its literally the only time ive done that. i just really like his voice

essentials-

Philosophy of Composition

Masque of the Red Death
Cask of Amontillado
Fall of the House of Usher
Tell-Tale Heart
Imp of the Perverse

The Raven
The Bells
Annabel Lee
A Dream within a Dream

also important-

The Black Cat
The Premature Burial
The Oval Portrait
Ligeia
The Gold Bug
The Pit and the Pendulum

The Conqueror Worm
Eldorado
Ulalume
The city in the Sea
To Science

I've read more or less all of them, and I've loved the Man of the Crowd.

Fall of the house of Usher

Is it bad that hes my favorite writer? I'm a horror genre fan but not like a gothic spook-looking faggot

I legitimately don't understand why Poe is so popular. Can someone explain it to me? I've read most of his works.

Why is he famous in the first place? We read quite a lot shit from him while I was in school. It wasn´t really bad but I really felt like all his stuff could be from some amateur short story website or similar.

Not really, if you aren't into particularly literary work. It is quite bad if you are because you'd recognise that his prose and poetry is quite bad. He's a good storyteller and an interesting person though.

Explain why Poe's prose and poetry is quite bad

it was never his works that made him my favorite, but just him as a person. I don't really have a favorite writer. Because they've all made good and bad books in my opinion

Nah, Poe's prose is quite good. Very atmospheric. I don't knock him for his stories at all.

His poetry is another matter, but who cares.

this also

An eightball of cocaine is taped inside the back cover of every collection of Poe's works. You must have bought yours used.

he created the detective and science fiction genre...
his tormented meme life, fucking lolis, etc

His poetry is undeniable awful. Take the most famous example of the Raven, it rolls on and on torpidly. There is no variation or interesting music.

His prose is another matter, he never seemed to learn restraint. I'm no minimalist, but his tales are packed with quite unintersting self-indulgent discursives. His prose is pretty much the definition of purple.

My opinion isn't particularly controversial, you can find many people who dislike Poe's style. To me, he is barely above pulp trash such as Lovecraft and Howard.

>His prose is another matter, he never seemed to learn restraint. I'm no minimalist, but his tales are packed with quite unintersting self-indulgent discursives. His prose is pretty much the definition of purple.

That's quite characteristic of English prose during his lifetime, however.

I don't feel particularly strongly one way or the other but this explanation is very unconvincing.
Also his prose really isn't that purple by 19th century standards. His stories are actually written quite tightly.

It's interesting that you choose the Raven as an example of "undeniably awful" poetry and in the same line mention its high fame.

Ending your post by emphasizing that your opinion is uncontroversial just makes it sound like you're posturing.

I disagree, many of the best Victorian novelists had interesting things to say. Even in lesser works Hardy packed his Novels with apt philosophical reflections. In the famous scene in A Pair of Blue Eyes, the hanging man reflects upon world history whilst near death.

It is perfectly apt because it plays upon the whole notion that life is supposed to flash before your eyes. Poe exhibits it to a level that is painful, the Dupin stories are especially terrible. The deductions are tedious and uninteresting and they spawned another famous series of dectetive works which I loath.

He's one of those douchebags who doesn't like popular things. It makes him feel superior.

>>Masque of the Red Death
>Cask of Amontillado
>Fall of the House of Usher
>The Pit and the Pendulum

second.

I also liked The Maelstrom

the Balloon Hoax wasn't "good," it was pretty standard news reporting, but as a troll it was awesome.

Hans Pfall was really interesting as a document of possibly the world's first science fiction story.

>Also his prose really isn't that purple by 19th century standards. His stories are actually written quite tightly.
Have you even read his stories? Tell me that the Racionative tedium that is The Mystery of Marie Rogêt is tightly written.
>It's interesting that you choose the Raven as an example of "undeniably awful" poetry and in the same line mention its high fame.
Why? It is famously bad.
>Ending your post by emphasizing that your opinion is uncontroversial just makes it sound like you're posturing.
The exact opposite actually, I am affirming that my view is unoriginal.

Quite the opposite, most of my favourite writers are incredibly popular. I just recognise something I do not like when I experience it.

>Poe
>"Victorian"
>Calls Poe's writing tedious
>Cites THOMAS HARDY as an example of the opposite

>Thinks repeating himself is a rebuttal

Ok, so you're retarded. Good to know I can exit the thread now.

Do you have any counter-arguments or are you just going to get emotional?

I also didn't say Poe was Victorian. I realise my mistake, but they are a collection of writers who are usually charged with writing long discursive tedious sentences.

>he doesnt read the author's complete works before forming an opinion

poe is the best american poet pre 1900, by a significant margin

this guy is a huge pseud and has no idea what he's talking about.

it's cool to hate poe when you're in freshman year and take intro to lit and intro to literary interpretation though so whatever.

Nice argument.

Is Baudelaire's translation of Poe actually better or is it just banter?

>poe is the best american poet pre 1900, by a significant margin
That would be Whitman actually.

Not that guy, but many famous writers disliked Poe.
Just a few examples are:
Emerson
Eliot
Huxley
Yeats

The user is right in pointing out that Poe is maligned a lot.

Man of the Crowd is his best.

All of them. Now kill yourself

Actually pretty good use of dubs. Backed.

>Tell me that the Racionative tedium that is The Mystery of Marie Rogêt is tightly written.

It's an even denser read than the standard Poe. I had to plow through it, but it drew me in closer because of that. Ultimately I enjoyed it.

Okay m8, I'm glad you don't take it as a personal attack. Many fine writers loved Poe as much as disliked him. The problem with a lot of discussion on this site is that people take things too personally. They think that if someone dislikes a writer they like then that reflects badly on their taste or their intelligence. It doesn't. Ultimately, prose isn't the only important thing. A book can be wonderfully written and still be boring if you are not interested in the subject.

But Whitman and Emerson were both superior senpai

>The black cat

every writer is misaligned a lot. you can find dozens of negative opinions from canon authors on any other canon author. it means nothing.

>misaligned

The Conqueror Worm is perhaps my favorite.

did you know that was named after my dick

kek

imo Bierce is a superior short story writer