/sffg/ Furries in space edition

Where were you when Cherryh fags got BTFO?
Old thread >Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
>Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)
>What are you reading right now?
>Have you read Poul Anderson's Boat of a Million Years?
>Any other books about immortality?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php
bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-series.php
bestfantasybooks.com/best-literary-fantasy-books.html
skullknight.net/encyclopedia/universe/
spectator.co.uk/2016/04/cotton-belt-notebook/
reddit.com
lmgtfy.com/?q=how to screenshot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wanna be the next Rothfuss

What Mary Sue angle hasn't been explored yet?

A bottom bitch homosexual feminist arena fighter

Who writes the best rape, gay and incest?

I vote for Bakker

I know you're being sarcastic, but a homosexual feminist could work...

He kills (or maims) all the sexist strawmen

Perfect for the zeitgeist

When I'm rich and famous, I'll never forget /sffg/

I'm reading Dying Earth #2 right now. It's good. That is all.

I'll be sure to link you my contact for a tip and a signed coppy with a drawn pepe inside

I've been enjoying book one of the Chronicles of Amber series. The writing is a little simple but overall it's been engaging

I just finished Le Guin's The Dispossessed and I'm not sure how to feel. The political philosophy was good and interesting but overall I'm not so sure how satisfying everything was. Anyone else read it?

Also, I'm looking for a really good military/hard/space opera sci-fi hybrid novel or novella. I have Dune already but is there anything less based on nobility? I just read two books about nobility.

Is this the greatest SF art ever? I can't stop smiling at the mustache dude poking his head over the beastman like he's scifi Wilson.

I enjoyed Old Man's War. The series goes downhill fast after book 1 though. But book 2 is aight.

Pandora's Star and Judas unchained isn't terrible. Some plot lines are definitely more enjoyable than others.

The Expanse series isn't too bad. Some interesting horror elements

>Where were you when Cherryh fags got BTFO?

No they didn't. Guy who hadn't even looked at her body of work claimed it was all furry YA shit which it's not. And then claimed Le Guin is all YA, which it's not.

SFFG what do you do when you're so picky you can't find anything to read? I'm worried I've finally run out of fantasy

You go read more Gene Wolfe.

I am going to read The Way of Kings just because of the maps.

>like he's scifi Wilson.

A Home Improvement reference on Veeky Forums. That's a new one.

I didn't even enjoy Soldier of the Mist, and I only bought Soldier of Arete because the cliffhanger pissed me off!

As far as I know, Wolfe is batting 0/2

I posted here on the day Veeky Forums was created. The board split between Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums was a large factor in killing /r9k/.

>scifi Wilson
O lawd
us oldfags huh

Fuck you.
I managed to forget that we're not getting a real star chart. Fucking ree all over again.

Jack
Campbell.
Lost
Fleet.

Reminder to ignore people who recommend female authors

Except Hobb who unanimously admired here at /sffg/.

Maybe by the few females who lurk here from time to time.
But Hobb is boring shit and far below the level of WoT or Sanderson

Reminder to ignore people who never got over their "Girls have cooties" phase

Women are shit.
It's why you have specifically have those "fantasy written by women recommendations" so you know what to skip.
If they were good they would be able to stand on their between books written by men, but they can't so they have their own special women area.

You know your mother's a woman, right?

Tbh if you read any Wolfe let it be Book of the New Sun

The other stuff is only if you really enjoy his style

i like zelazny's prose. he isn't trying to be purple just get you into the head of machiavellian corwin.

zelazny
jeff noon's vurt

>extremebutthurt.jpg

So?
That's pretty much where women stop being useful.

Let me guess. You had a stay at home mom who was so vapid and empty-headed you could never really connect with her on a meaningful level starting around the time letters started appearing in your math homework. Since she was the only woman you really knew on a personal level, most of your judgements were based on her, and anyone who didn't fit the bill had to be reassesed in a way to fit that model.

This is fucking embarrassing.

look, nobody cares what a some smug virgin who looks like Linguine from Ratatouille thinks about gender issues. Can you maybe stop making a scene so we can go back to talking about literature?

>assumptions
Don't reflect.

>personal attack on looks you've never seen
I'm not even hetero so fuck off.

what are some books similar to my favorite mangas like one piece, hunter x hunter and berserk

Sanderson mate.

I hope you've read those mangas if you're going to recommend something

Yea, "generic" though way above average shounen
Hunter x Hunter/ One Piece is like Sanderson.

>berserk
Sword and Sorcery novels are most like berserk
Stuff like Conan.
Elric of Melinbone.
Etc.

The Sanderson recommendation is a half-joke because the "sanderson is anime" is not supposed to be a compliment.
But it fits shounen tropes well enough.

Sword and Sorcery recommendation is not a joke.

Sanderson isn't like Berserk at all. First Law is basically Berserk.

Where did I say Sanderson is like Berserk?

Fucking moron learn to read.

>being this triggered

>HAHAHA LE FUNNY MEME IMAGE
FUCK OFF

I'm more thinking of something with One Piece's sense of grand adventure, or Hunter x Hunter's stark contrast of naive lightheartedness and dark and disturbing stuff (and of course its ultra-badass villains and flawed heroes), or Berserk's mixture of personal tragedy with cosmic developments. Have anything like that?

>redditor being this asspained

Chronicles of Narnia

bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

Opinions?

Like I said, you won't get anything closer than First Law to Berserk.

Bayaz and Griffith are both Machiavellian.
Logan and Guts are alike in character although Logan can cause tragedy whilst Guts mostly receives it. They both wield huge ass swords and get their life fucked over by the Machiavellian character.
Both have comedic/more light hearted characters like the Navigator and Puck.
The atmosphere is very similar but Berserk is more episodic as of late.
There's also a guy who's very like Zodd.

bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-series.php

Reminder that Book of the new sun is not even top 10

>unironically recommending john "kill honkey" scalzi

>First Law is basically Berserk.
This is so wrong and pathetic I am literally cringing IRL. You must have read neither Berserk nor First Law.

Sometimes it seems like the writer knows what he's writing about other times it looks like those lists are made to conform to mainstream opinions.

Neal Asher maybe.

You're an idiot.

that and gormenghast are the only particularly good series there, though lotr, earthsea, narnia and hdm are also OK but they're for children. asoiaf being at the top is embarrassing, but that's because the list is made by retards who only read genreshit

It's an interesting novel for its political ideas.

Everything else about it is dry. The characters are loosely defied, have inconsistent speech patterns and the plot skips the climax.

Overall, Lathe of Heaven and Left Hand of Darkness are far better. I'd recommend The ones who walk away from Omelas as a short story.

You want something like (descending order of grimdark):

Mistborn, Way of Kings, First Law, Prince of Thorns.

None of these are exactly like HxH/Berserk, but close enough.

Which happen to be his top 2 with literary fantasy
bestfantasybooks.com/best-literary-fantasy-books.html

>Narnia
>Watership down
What the

doesn't have little, big, list is worthless

More magical realism than fantasy desu

No, it's fantasy in its purest form, while 99% of the stuff on this guy's lists are more adventure and thriller fiction than fantasy

Nonsense. It's the very embodiment of fantasy fiction.

this is the cancer of lit. why do u guys exist. i dont want o live on the same planet. or even astral plane as you guys

Read both it's the same thing. Could have been set on the same fucking world.

Grimdark edge, machiavellian villain manipulations, characters struggling against an individual more powerful, politically influential and manipulative than they are who eventually forsakes them in an attempt to setup a puppet state. Villain is not above manipulating the MC into fulfilling their own schemes. Puck/Navigator provides comic relief, both series prominently features torturers and those who use them to fulfill their own ends. Both series depicts the aftermath of torture and its profound effects on the psyche - one who falls into sarcastic nihilism and one who rejects the world by embracing the epitome of evil.

MC wields a large ass sword, is prone to fits of berserker rage - one self induced, one constitutional and they have a love interest who is a talented warrior taken away from them in spirit by the villain - the first reverts to the mental state of a child and the second is mentally plagued by visions.

Both series have two realms each the obverse of the other which only certain individuals can perceive (one via a brand and the other by inheritance) and both series show the faults of giving into the temptation of accessing it.

Whether or not a book is magic realism has almost entirely to do with how similar it is to One Hundred Years of Solitude

Berserk actually has like five realms skullknight.net/encyclopedia/universe/

Did you mean ascending order? Prince of Thorns is way more grimdark than Sanderson.

That's a nice diagram desu. I'd love to see FL's get fleshed out more too.

Yep, my bad.

Is this just the one sexist faggot spamming these threads or do we just have that many teenagers here?

That's a problem only if you have shit taste and read only trash fantasy

No she isn't. I asked in the last thread and most responses were that she ranges from mediocre to shit.

Moorcock article in this week's Spectator.

spectator.co.uk/2016/04/cotton-belt-notebook/

I want to kill myself in ritual suicide

That was a joke m8

The series are wildly different in terms of atmosphere and tone.

How did Cherryh fags get btfo?

I doubt that.

I see you just started coming to these threads. People like Hobb around here, at least Farseer and Liveship are well loved.

It's quite well established she writes some of the most human characters around, in and out of genre.

Not really, that's the opinion reddit holds. First Farseer book is full on garbage and I doubt it's gonna get much better.

No.

Hobb is only liked by women

>newfag shits ruining the quality of threads
Every time.

>waaaah why don't you have shit taste like me :(
You're clearly alone with your opinion that she's "good".

>waaaah
>:(

Fuck off.
The only reason people know Hobb is because she's a woman.

If they didn't know she was a woman she would be universally regarded as shit

Just stop replying to him, his is obviously mentally disturbed. He has spent all day everyday for the last few days shitposting and b8ing people with his women hating shit.

He is just another brainwashed by shitposting and memes /pol/tard.

reddit.com

Obviously a better place to be when retards like you decide to shit on things here.

Then stay there instead of recommending shit that only has a name because the author happens to be a female.

Martin had to fight to get recognition, meanwhile Hobb only had to show her cleavage and she got a dozen awards.

I'm not the guy arguing with you about female authors, I was just pointing out you're fucking demented.

>I see you just started coming to these threads.
No I didn't, been here from the first
>People like Hobb around here, at least Farseer and Liveship are well loved.
People here shitpost her a lot, that is for sure, but they always fail to discuss or even say where she is good. This was the deal with First Law too for a while until people stared reading it for real, hence scepticism about her quality.
>It's quite well established she writes some of the most human characters around, in and out of genre.
Now this is a claim I find pretty hard to swallow.
Looking at the goodreads only one person who posts here (Combiner) has read it, other known posters didn't making me believe it's mostly /v/ and Veeky Forums.
Might be wrong of course, I'll probably check her out if only to confirm or deny my suspicions.

Roastie/nu-male getting mad
I love it

>:(
>wahhhh
>shit
This user is clearly the epitome of literary critique. Unlike other plebians, he clearly did not need to read at all to develop his patrician taste.

Did you take a photo of your computer screen?

yes

>taking a photo of his fucking computer screen
Looks like the retards are here.

lmgtfy.com/?q=how to screenshot

Le Guin should be 1/10 at most.

>HP
>4/5
mmm

It's easier when you post from the phone

>mmm