Is reading seriously supposed to improve your life...

Is reading seriously supposed to improve your life? because it looks like you readers are just as arrogant and miserable as the rest of us.

Nah, it's just a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again

Well it certainly could. It depends on what you're reading and how you define improving your life...

Ignorance is bliss. Look at the mouth breathers in evangelical churches for whom "bible study" is parroting what their pastor tells them. I could only wish that level of happiness and self assuredness,

If you mean, does reading improve your understanding of the world and your insight into your fellow man, then yes it does.

Veeky Forums is no happier than the rest of us quite the opposite, but they are undeniably improving their bodies.

>does reading improve your understanding of the world and your insight into your fellow man, then yes it does.

Reading threads here it really doesn't look like it.

I have lots of "friends" on Goodreads from here.

On Goodreads when people comment everyone is civil and functional. Anonymity creates monsters. So dont be a dumb nigger.

>On Goodreads when people comment everyone is civil and functional

yes, but are they really better than non-readers?

>Is reading seriously supposed to improve your life?
I have purpose and an enjoyable hobby thanks to reading. For the standards of the pathetic nihilists on Veeky Forums who only play vidya and shitpost, that's a pretty good thing.
Books, of course, can't fix your more practical problems.

"Before enlightenement, chop wood and carry water.
After enlightenement, chop wood and carry water."

That is because most people on Veeky Forums don't read very much

Okay, are you asking "does lit make you better", or are you asking "does lit make you better than other people"? The answer to one won't be the same as to the other.

I'm reading threads on Veeky Forums tbqh.

He is clearly asking if it makes you better than others.

He apparently falls for spooks.

>Someone might say: “Are you not ashamed, Socrates, to have followed the kind of occupation that has led to your being now in danger of death?” However, I should be right to reply to him: “You are wrong, sir, if you think that a man who is any good at all should take into account the risk of life or death; he should look to this only in his actions, whether what he does is right or wrong, whether he is acting like a good or a bad man.”

Truuuuuuuuuu

I don't get it, is this an assessment of the unchangeableness in the lives of everyday people, compared to the flow of Philosophies and ideas of a given time?

post more pussy friend

Not understanding that Lit is for curmudgeons who either think that enjoying reading is a mark of sophistication ofr are already past that stage and think only what they read and enjoy is sophistication.

Truth is though, the sophisticated spend more time writing than bitching about it

Cont.

There may possibly be a inkling of legitimate love for the art of literature and stories, perhaps from when the litizens were children or young adults, but now, with personal problems and agendas eating at thier heads thier ideas and tastes are over specific and hostile to anyone else.

It's ultimately sad.

>the sophisticated

Well I certainly didn't mean me.

How ridiculous would I be if I were critquing the pompous attitudes of the people who inhabit this board if I myself had one.

I'm just another user, user

You've just admitted yoy discovered/understood something through reading.

/thread