Ever feel like you spend so much time reading older books and classics that you're missing out or alienating yourself...

Ever feel like you spend so much time reading older books and classics that you're missing out or alienating yourself from current times?

Veeky Forums is great for finding books to read, but I want to read something released in 2015 or 2016 next. What has been good?

honestly I'm not telling you your gay and I'm not telling you to fuck off to reddit but the books page on reddit would be your best place to look for that shit.

If I liked Reddit I wouldn't be posting here, would I?

>you're missing out or alienating yourself from current times?

I do feel this sometimes. But when I read a new book it turns out to be overpraised shit, so I need to read a classic to recuperate.

Fiction or non-fiction? So far I liked "Stranger than we can Imagine: Making Sense of the Twentieth Century" (endorsed by Alan Moore, so expect a lot of counter-culture and less known facts) for non-fiction and "Submission" for fiction.

Right now i'm looking for Fiction.

That's a thing that concernes me a lot too.
Personally I find that there is a lot of silence around contemporary literature (at least in spanish there is), and somehow I feel the urge to promote it, but I'm also kind of lost.
Maybe that just means the authors of our generation are not as good as the past generations yet, but it can also mean that they are being obscured despite being great.
I want to investigate more about contemporary authors in spanish. What you can do is follow the editorials twitters, and take risks in reading the authors they publish.
This year I have only read the short stories collection Mala Letra by Sara Mesa. I enjoyed it and am very interested in her way to write dialogs, but I think she needs more time to become a better author overall.

no but they frequently have threads about books that come out each month and shit you fucking chode. no one on Veeky Forums reads new shit or reads at all.

>no one on Veeky Forums reads new shit or reads at all.
But when we DO, one can expect quality discussion rising over the usual "I liked it because I could relate to it" shit.

I know what you meant, but I just don't have any trust or faith in reddit whatsoever. Ever seen their "Top 100 of All Time" list compared to Veeky Forums's?
That's why I can't take them seriously, or even consider looking into their recently hyped up releases.
You're being a dick, just to be a dick, and that's fine. That's what Veeky Forums is. It's needlessly negative and cynical, but I prefer it over Reddit's sparkly hug box any day, for any subject.

You're being a dick. He told you how to find recommendations for contemporary work, even if it's from the faggots of reddit. Ungrateful numale shit

>if there's a single writer alive you like gb2rebbit

Kill yourself

A little ironic you called me numale right after I said I didn't want to take literature advice from Reddit. I forgot what the exact meme says, but i'm pretty sure the numale would love Reddit's community and recommended reading list. Unless the numale is the /r9k/ type who hates any "normie" stuff. I don't remember, but either way I'm certain it doesn't describe me.

You think it's wrong for me to not want to consider Reddit's opinion, but it isn't. The closest book store to my school is a feminist book store. I could also go in there to look for hyped new recommendations, but i don't for obvious reasons. Do you understand why? I don't want recommendations from those types of people because I don't trust their opinions.

thanks nigga

Reddit gets things right from time to time. Sure you should take their opinions with a handful of salt, but their suggestions shouldn't be rejected by default. The only alternative I know is goodreads, which is somehow more cancerous than even reddit. There may be online book club forums out there, but I've never done much research on that

why are people always comparing us to /r/books? it's not even the right equivalent. /r/literature is slightly less retarded.

Try the bottom 3 rows of this OP, which go from 2000 to 2011. I know it's not exactly what your looking for but whoever made this clearly knows their shot when it comes to contemporary lit.

Most people here will recommend Gass, Vollman, McElroy, and Krasznahorkai. Who have all released stuff in the past 3 years.

I'm gonna suggest checking out new directions and checking out their contemporary lit. Can rec both Moya and Aira who seem to be putting out new novellas each year.

guys how many levels of irony is he on?
I cant tell
SUCC

Thanks McElroy's Cannonball sounds very good.

It's very very difficult.

The classics are classics for a reason.

y tu.

why? i don't know anything about it or the author.

No it's just new, so there's no opinion on the books yet. Classics are a safe way to read in that some monk had to transcribe for probably weeks in order to copy a classic, so only good or influential ones made it, whereas if you buy a modern book it could be shit.

But that's basically all new literature is written for.

>I beside her shot on film or tried to his dive but she just as she'd been interrupted passing on to me a weird family yet neighborhood question Corona's Italian wife Bea had put to her as they had biked home the night before through rain divided and gathered and caressed by trees now tonight saw him pull off a two-and-a-half at a public pool under the lights that went out totally for a moment, a breaker fluke that went unexplained, as he left the board plunging us if not my camera into nowhere and came back to reveal him just passing the crest of the yet undisclosed dive now crunched into tuck – as I became aware of the old woman of a year ago with the spotted skin and the veins materialized now as if by the power glitch itself beside me seeming to say hello with a word: for Umo's dive was so busy a somersaulting that when he just came out of it he's someone unaware of you headed somewhere else gone forever, my sister said, or executed, it came to me she had murmured to herself or me, I thought if anything a sucked-downward tongue or perfect loss.