Checkmate, atheists

checkmate, atheists

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Came_Back_from_Heaven
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>>reddit

i just came from there!

When I was a young lad I experienced my first panic attack by thinking about being in heaven forever. The concept of forever scared the shit out of me, more so than dying. Now the concept of dying is fucking horrible. What do I do?

>Protestant literature.jpg

you need to pray, my brother

Embrace your own nonexistence and then go HAM with the time you get to exist.

Acknowledge death (or rather non-existance) is our natural state and this is just a brief, inconsequential, hiatus you wont even remember

I'm actually christian but I have to point out that little fuck stick admitted a few years back he lied about every single word in that book and said he remembered nothing when he was out. Just incase anyone here was not aware

wrong kid, that was this one
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Came_Back_from_Heaven

also, the kid was a quadriplegic who received no money from the book, while it was most likely fabricated by his dad, the "co-author."

maybe be a little more charitable before describing people as "little fuck sticks"

>Christfags
>being able to not be judgmental ever
Go easy on the lad. He got lied to by a child and his feelings have been hurt.

It's all a simulation. You probably won't give a shit once your dead, and you will decide to never play the Earth simulation ever again. But you just had to try it once, it's all the rave.

Open your heart to Jesus.

this desu

It only makes sense that eternal salvation would remove you from your human consciousness. It's scary to imagine an eternity as a sinful monkey. It's not scary to imagine you will leave this crap behind and come into contact with eternal perfection.

seriously, heaven is a shit deal. I've tried explaining this to JWs and they just don't get it. They're like, "no, in Heaven there will always be new and interesting things, so you'll never be bored." They have zero understanding of infinity.

That's why I favor Buddhism over Christianity. Christians think infinity is great, so they work to get into Heaven. Buddhists realize that infinity is monstrous, and work to escape the cycle of Samsara.

i don't like this bullshit for this bullshit reason therefore i prefer this bullshit to that bullshit.

do you know what a western man looks like in buddhist robes? HE LOOKS LIKE A FAGGOT. DO YOU WANT TO BE A FAGGOT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

You don't have to follow one or the other though. Samsara is a delusion, as is eternal life, and when you die, you will be free of these and all other delusions, your entire consciousness in fact.

very mature response. I never said I was a Buddhist, just that I tend to prefer their view of things. It's called Eclecticism, it's pretty cool.
For what it's worth, I think monks have the wrong idea too. Spending your whole life in a monastery seems like an enormous waste of potential.

Honestly I think people assume that passing into whatever version of the afterlife people believe in will bring a sense of profound contentment. It's something I struggle with on occasion I sometimes hope that death is just a black void of nonexistence as opposed to infinite existence. Then again if all religion is false and we just get a short few years of consciousness and that's it I honestly think oblivion is just as comforting as eternal life

hey how much cheese do you think is too much because just now i've eaten more than I ever have in the past.

It's amusing that the only thing restraining Buddhists from mass suicide is their belief in rebirth. However, they still worked out a good approach to the good life, despite technically being anti-life (and anti-death, for that matter).

We all believe in what we find most comforting. The people who don't wind up dead or insane.

I've resigned myself to the fact that some things are simply unknowable, and all we can do is place our faith in the arbitrary beliefs that feel most satisfying. So here's my optimistic view of death:

Every moment that you are alive, you are intensely focused, straining with enormous effort. What are you concentrating on? You are trying to prevent your true self from escaping the limited, mortal, fallible flesh-bag that you inhabit. You don't realize that you're doing this, because you've been doing it unconsciously since before you were born. But when you die, you will no longer be able to maintain this focus. And a great sigh will echo across time and space as you remember that you are not a single human, but the whole Monad. It will be like the lights coming on in the theater after you have been entranced by a movie for hours. And you'll laugh at how long and how thoroughly you believed you were just a fragment of the whole.

>We all believe in what we find most comforting. The people who don't wind up dead or insane.

look, pal, for starters we all wind up dead. but a lot of us have pretty uncomfortable assumptions about what life is so fuck off with your trite bullshit.

stopped reading there.

It's not a revolutionary idea, bud. Just an extension of the classic "people always act in the way that benefits them the most." Subscribing to an ideology, even an "uncomfortable" one like nihilism, scratches a deep intellectual and emotional itch.
Look at the history of philosophy and you'll see very few people who lived their whole lives filled with existential dread. They all either found a way to make it work, or they killed themselves.

holy shit you're still here look i have masturbation to do. i don't fucking care.

don't be so hard on yourself.

why is this thread here and where did all the posts in it come from

>30 replies
>4 posters
You tell me.

t. Marcus Aurelius