Name some Sci fi or fantasy novels that actually have literary merit (what ever the fuck that means)

name some Sci fi or fantasy novels that actually have literary merit (what ever the fuck that means).

I'll start

vurt - Jeff Noon
the once and future king - T.H. White

Other urls found in this thread:

bestfantasybooks.com/best-literary-fantasy-books.html
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land#Miscellaneous_quotes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too rebbit, maybe

I read this not to long ago and I wasn't too impressed. maybe it is better in its original language. the stupidity of the scientists drove me crazy.

Why would it be reddit?

he doesn't want to be made fun of. that's why he said that.

im trying to fit in, shut up

Unless they've completely changed curriculum since I've been there, Gulliver's Travels, Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty Four, and Fahrenheit 451 are often read as part of middle or high school English courses. The Time Machine and Frankenstein are often talked about, if not read. Cat's Cradle, The Stars My Destination, Starship Troopers, and the rest in this thread so far all have merit, as well as many others... Maybe not as a masterpiece and sometimes not even representative of something in particular, though.

voyage to arcturus
the futurological congress (what happens when you take too much acid)
the three body problem

Dhalgren

Seconding voyage to arcturus.

Maybe something by the lord dunsany

Anything by Gene Wolfe.

This is a good list.

bestfantasybooks.com/best-literary-fantasy-books.html

Three Body Problem a hundred times yes.

Realized recently mid-conversation about how the tri-solarans were clearly a direct analogy for the way china has repeatedly destroyed itself throughout history. Most oriental countries, really.

Felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner.

Oh, and all of Robert A. Heinlein, just to contribute. Specifically, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Stranger In A Strange Land.

>Heinlein
>having literary merit
>not just pamphlets of pubescent wish fulfillment for American ancap teenagers who will never transcend their masturbatory stage

kekkest of keks

Eh. Jubal's got great quotes.

Heinlein is garbage, and so is the Three Body Problem.

But that hurts my feelings.

I picked it up at a library and the prose was okay but it didn't seem that good? Whats the appeal?

stop advertising your shitty blog

E A R T H S E A
A
R
T
H
S
E
A

>Jubal quotes
>There is no safety this side of the grave.
>Live each golden moment as if it were eternity — without fear, without hope, but with a sybaritic gusto.
>The golden sunshine of Italy congealed into tears. Here's to the alcoholic brotherhood... much more suited to the frail human soul, if any, than any other sort.

These read like you could buy them on a fake-weathered board of wood in a interior design store

Little, Big by John Crowley

Cherrypicked. Jubal on art is fantastic.

>cherrypicked

These are picked from the first ten quotes in Wikiquote, section "By Jubal Harshaw, the doctor, lawyer, writer:"

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land#Miscellaneous_quotes

All these quotes read as if Ignatius Reilly wanted to write something "deep"

Only the first 6 books, though. The last 4 are kind of lame.

Lovecraft
C. S. Lewis.

The Dispossessed
Book of the New Sun
Fifth Head of Cerberus
Gormenghast
A Canticle for Leibowitz

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'd go full pleb and argue some fairly popular genre has merit as well, like the Farseer Trilogy, Small Gods, or Hyperion.