/sffg/ Sci-Fi Fantasy General, Tourist Edition

Travel to a far away land!
A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsey
Out of a Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis
Son of Man by Robert Silverberg

Old thread >Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

>What are you reading right now?
>Got any tourist books like those mentioned above?
>Post your favorite book cover

C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy.
Pretty good.

I didn't like this one as much. Not as much tourism, and a large focus on orgiastic magic rituals.

>/sffg/ is now taken over by the same elitist that tried to get rid of us
>only difference is they post old as fuck books that are dry and boring
>they then shit on you for posting living/fun authors
I want main Veeky Forums to leave and go back to circle jerking about dfw

Go back to /a/, you mental midget.

I miss the cheesy rhetorical questions on SF covers

I'm unaware of any newer books in this style. Suggestions of same from your experience would be gratefully accepted.

The wolfefag and his compadres shut down any discussing that is not about dead authors, or old dusty authors who are in their 70's.

They then call you reddit for disagreeing with then, then goes to further shit up our general with books no one wants to read.

What you guys don't understand that this is a deep layer infiltration.
They will talk about boring shit books, and people that are actually interest in fantasy will leave because we aren't discussing real fantasy, just magical realism or speculation. if they keep this up for a few months the general will die on it's own because no one comes here anymore.

That would be game over. Lit likes to play the slow game, throw in a sleeper cell and kill us off at the right time, just like the Americlaps did with the natives and the smallpox blankets.

Sanderson is much better than Jordan at this point desu

Guy who literally started these threads here.

They've always been for having elitist discussions about SFF. The Veeky Forums and /v/ crowd came later and niggered the threads up with Sanderson and Jordan.

>They will talk about boring shit books
Hey kid, have you ever actually tried reading one of these "old dusty books"? They are highly praised for a reason. You sound like an autistic child that throws a fit when his parents take him to see "The Godfather", because he only wants to see "The Force Awakens" over and over.

66 days until The Great Ordeal

Are you hyped yet?

>discussing that is not about dead authors, or old dusty authors who are in their 70's.
There are far more SFF books written by dead/septuagenarian authors than our contemporaries. It stands to reason that these would often make an appearance.
>They then call you reddit for disagreeing
That is their own problem. Just ignore such shrewish prattle.

You seem a bit paranoid my strange equestrian friend.

Is it some trash epic fantasy because if so no.

>anyone who likes Sanderson is /v/, Veeky Forums or reddit

And I'm the guy who used to bump(samefag) it from page 10 when no one was discussing, I started arguing/shitposting just to get ppl to reply and the thread to bump by it self.

Lo and behold, months later thread stays off page 10 by it self.

>They've always been for having elitist discussions about SFF.
Yea, that is why for months we had lit shitting up our threads.
It's only now that e/lit/ist are posting in the threads that they don't shit it up anymore.

Do you any of you guys write? Whats your stuff like?

Bakker writes much better than dusty memes like Vance, Eddison, Anderson etc. (the usual suspects)

WTF? Is English not your first language or something? You're not making any sense.

>A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsey

If you haven't read this, I'd request you give it a try. I haven't read anything like it, ever, and I can see how Bloom loved it - it's a bit of fantasy, but it doesn't have any of the classic tropes, it's a bit of SF, but not much, but it's mostly philosophy that you can interpret in myriad ways.

Any fantasy out there involving large trucks and/or heavy construction equipment? Bonus if it's secondary world.

I'm working on a novel involving large trucks and heavy construction equipment in a secondary world. My prose sucks though and I have a hard time practicing enough to improve it now, because I have to read everything I write and I'd rather read something better.

I'd say it's one of, if not the best current epic fantasy series

Anybody read Fall of Light yet? How was it?

>kid
I'm 26, I know I am a kid compared to you grandpa(you're that 52 year old right? Would explain why you have a fear for anything new), but I did read those "dusty books".

Unlike most of lit, I read shit before I criticize it. Why shit on something that I never read?(like how yall shit on Sanderson and haven't even touched it, just parrot word for word what someone else wrote).
Tolkien is shit, Vance is Shit, Delany is shit, i like Gene wolfe but his stuff isn't my cup of tea. I like Clarke. The mouser fagget is shit. etc
From reading those I'm not touching the rest of your recommendations because half of it is already shit.

Stop trying to be hip grandpa and go play with your academia buddies, just because we don't share your shit tastes means you have to force them on us.

A blonde visits a doctor. She tells him, "Doctor, I don't know what's wrong with me. Everywhere I touch hurts." She touches her leg. "Ow." Touches her head. "Ow." Touches her arm. "Ow." Doctor says, "Your finger's broken."

This is a really nice example of someone finding a solution by redefining the problem

Roger Zelazny's Damnation Alley has cool truck thing. They even made a movie.

Look here you tremendous colossal bronze-plated monument to faggotry, I'm your age and your taste is horrible. Tolkien is amazing. Vance is excellent. Wolfe is a magician. And I like Sanderson, too. I've read most of his books and liked them a lot. He's not on their level. He could be, someday, he's a hard-working man and he keeps looking for things to improve, with our luck and his crowd he'll keep writing bad prose and make his cast more diverse, but whatever. There's a reason we talk about H.P. Lovecraft but we don't talk about August Derleth, and time has not yet separated our Lovecrafts and Derleths.

And stop talking like you represent all millennials. That's incredibly annoying.

No offense, but you seem a bit slow.

Oh, yeah, I read the novella when I was a kid. I heard the novelization wasn't that great, and I believe it after Dream Master. I've got to look it up again.

If I ever feel like some epic fantasy I'll try Bakker or Erikson, they seem to be the ones doing the most interesting things with it.

In a just world there'd be a Mad Max crossover.

i was writing magical realism, switched to YA fantasy, and i'm realizing my writing is too complicated for YA. anyway i'm character and prose heavy and i'm working with norse myths. my obvious influences are zelazny, lloyd alexander, tolkien.

Clark Ashton Smith was arguably a better writer than Lovecraft but hardly gets mentioned here

>I'm your age and your taste is horrible. Tolkien is amazing. Vance is excellent.
Because you are like a poor kid who comes into money, you watch what people with "class"(e/lit/ist) do and try to imitate it.

It's not your fault user, I fell for the "they are better than you" meme once too.

>There's a reason we talk about H.P. Lovecraft
Because he is /pol/ and their asian fetish rolled into one?
Hates blacks and squids.

He's a better writer, but his worldbuilding and plots are shit, reading him feels like someone really gifted writing D&D campaigns, with all those magicians with names starting in X having magical battles in forgotten dungeons

woah woah woah...

where did the diversity bit come from?

Yeah, I totally fell for the meme when I read LotR three times before I was 14. When Dragon Masters rocked my socks before I ever came to Veeky Forums, I was just being influenced by their patrician waves from a distance.

I enjoyed the novella recently. Got the novel as well, but haven't read it yet. The landmaster they made for the movie was GOAT.

That sounds pretty comfy, I'd check it out.

I can relate with the reading habits. I always try to read something on a higher level than I write.

My stuff is set in a sci-fi world I've been developing, lots of short stories hitting different angles of the setting. Some are written like memoirs, others mystery or horror, poetry, etc.

The main work is something like an epic, in that it has the most impact on the setting (whereas the other stories merely happen within it), but I intend for it to have no more than 2 books if I can help it.

I am, we are on Veeky Forums after all.
Everyone who is here has some minor form of OCD or autism, and if you have neither
Get Out.

That is why we blow up when people dislike our likes, and likes our dislikes. If we were sane human beings, we wouldn't give a shit what some cunt was reading. Why wait energy when I got better shit to do?

Pic for you user

Those tri-star wheels, man. Is there anything like that in real life? I know dollies and trailers use them sometimes.

I love that sort of thing, a lot of angles on one story. Some day I want to write something like World War Z.

I listen to his podcast with the Schlock Mercenary guy. They've got Mary Robinette Kowal on there now to bring up "oh no that's cultural appropriation!" once an episode and do nothing else.

The difference is between a sinner saying, "It's my nature," and freely sinning, and a sinner saying, "I want to change my nature," and doing what he can to cover it up. We all want to eviscerate each other in our nerd rage, but by acting nice we reinforce nice behavior, which forms a feedback loop that eventually enables us to leave our basements and maybe someday smile at a stranger.

>Everyone who is here has some minor form of OCD or autism
I'm talking raw IQ, not personality disorders. You just don't seem very bright, to put it mildly.

By the way, what is your native language?

Glad we agree user. Because When I tried to read that Lord of the Shits when I was younger I went and punched my friend for telling me to read it. I liked the Hobbit though. Gonna give him that.

I only write fanfiction. I want to read more about certain characters and new plots in-universe. It seems silly to me that characters cease to exist just because you close the book and it would be interesting to see them in different contexts - eg hard scifi instead of fantasy - for example.

Of course I have plenty of ideas for original stories too but my characters live out there lives in the plot in my head as they have for many years.

plebe

*their

Anyone read Abercrombie's short story compilation yet?

>It seems silly to me that characters cease to exist just because you close the book and it would be interesting to see them in different contexts - eg hard scifi instead of fantasy - for example.

Flann O'Brien had a very similar argumentation as to why he often re-used characters from his own and other authors' works

I can't convince myself to immerse in fanfic. It just seems a little dirty, a little shaky maybe, like there is one true window into that world and if the author hasn't at least approved it it's not real. Needless to say I hated The Force Awakens.

gb2/goodreads/

Not him, but OCD and autism aren't the same as being slow. Hell, most people with aspergers are smarter than average, albeit really lopsided in terms of individual skills. I can understand quantum physics, pick up programming languages in minutes, compose complex recipes off the top of my head and store entire libraries of trivia in my mind, but at the same time I have no short-term memory or basic social skills and am musically retarded and physically uncoordinated

I used to diss fanfiction but it actually can be a good exercise for understanding and managing characters. Sometimes I like to imagine my own characters interacting with some from different settings and wonder what would happen.

>Erikson
>doing interesting things
I see you've fallen for the same trap.

It's a decent series, but it has a lot more problems than people would have you think, and Erikson's atrociously clunky prose takes the impact out of what should be epic and emotional scenes.

>It seems silly to me that characters cease to exist just because you close the book and it would be interesting to see them in different contexts - eg hard scifi instead of fantasy - for example.
John C. Wright did that in the courtroom scene in - oh, one of his Golden Age books. It even had an in-universe explanation.

>you will never be a Golden Age comic book writer collaborating with other writers across a smoke-filled office to make your ridiculous crossovers

>Those tri-star wheels, man. Is there anything like that in real life? I know dollies and trailers use them sometimes.
I actually saw an SUV fitted up with those before I'd seen the movie/read the book. It was at some kind of convention. I believe it was being showcased by a vendor selling them as wheel replacements.

>tfw social
I just want to adopt some of you guys, you sound so adorable. No homo.

>IQ,
>falling for the IQ meme
All that shows is that you can memorize
Remembering something, and putting it to use by modifying it for a project are two different things.

Throw an IQ test my way, bet I pass it flying.

>By the way, what is your native language?
I don't see anything wrong with how I type. Is it the punctuation marks?
I was brought up using Bong English, but I understand and sometimes use Klapitani English.... so sometimes they intersect.

I love neat things like that that don't show up on the internet. I wish I had an old automotive engineer around I could quiz for my truck designs. Would Veeky Forums try to help or would they just meme me? I don't trust Veeky Forums.

>/sffg/ is now taken over by the same elitist that tried to get rid of us
Was here from the start and I do want to get rid of you people with shit taste who can't admit that certain books are really shit even if you enjoy them.
>only difference is they post old as fuck books that are dry and boring
40 years isn't old as fuck you mongoloid scum.
This is a fucking literature board where most writers to of quality are dead or on deathbeds because reading is something that requires attention and established authors are usually people who have been around for a while.
And boring is probably the most retarded thing to say, you brainless /v/irgin. Go play fucking video games, it's what you really want. Honestly, why do you keep coming and shitting up these threads? If you know we are here, in solid numbers and bitch about how people actually care about art in sff, go to another fucking board. Le world building and all the authors you like are discussed to death there and on every other fucking book forum. There's 20 other places for retards like you are to go, but only one for people with taste for people over 13.
Take your Abercrombie and Jordan elsewhere if you can't stand the idea that there are people who rightfully call them shit.
>>they then shit on you for posting living/fun authors
Who cares about them being alive? I shito on you because their writing is incredibly horrible and the very fact that you find literal pulp which was birth as literal mass entertainment (of course some of it has had a lot of quality and is discussed here, most has died with time) as boring is quite indicative of you being a general Bernie voting millennial.
>I want main Veeky Forums to leave and go back to circle jerking about dfw
I don't care about dfw and you can fuck off to some pleb board and leave us old boring people discuss our dead authors while you sip starbucks coffee and discuss Bernie and Jordan with your circle of retarded friends.
And this is actually what happened.
But I'm happy that we are getting some new quality authors shitposted, John C. Wright was a solid discovery. GKK shill will probably get me around Tigana in the coming months.

>Unlike most of lit, I read shit before I criticize it.
>Because When I tried to read that Lord of the Shits when I was younger I went and punched my friend for telling me to read it.
You're wondering why we think you have low IQ?

>gb2/goodreads/
I never watched any of the movies, and never will. That shit don't interest me, but i will enjoy goodreads.

Veeky Forums suggested it to me in 2011 when I kept pestering them for fantasy recs, never regretted it.
Keeps track of all my books, and reminds me when shit i want to read comes out.

>But I'm happy that we are getting some new quality authors shitposted, John C. Wright was a solid discovery.
This warms my stoney ole' heart, user, truly.

>I was brought up using Bong English, but I understand and sometimes use Klapitani English.... so sometimes they intersect.
I have no idea what any of that means.

In general, your posts have been unintelligible garbage. Whether that is attributable to natively "low IQ" or to some kind a head injury is, I suppose, nobody's business but your own.

I also read Lotr when I was 14 and didn't get anything, but came back to Tolkien last year with Children of Hurin and Silmarillion and was blown away.
CoH is one of the most basic stories out there but captures all the depth of Greek tragedies while having captivating language that carries more with less. It's really one of the most unique works of the century.

A tip o' the cap to you, my fine Wright Brothers! (see what I did there?)

>The Force Awakens
Man that was shit and a clear cash grab because too many plot elements were reused. On the other hand, if it had tried to avoid using all the previous plot points and tried to create something new and perhaps a little harder in terms of scifi I feel that the movie could have created something unique.

I think, also in terms of some long running fandoms, a good proportion of fan authors also end up penning novels as part of that universe. And others who go onto pen their own novels have certain preferences in terms of plot and character, which they only conceived of because they were being influenced by their favourite writers.

I was reading Hyperion, for example and found the number of references to Vance quite amusing but on the other hand it is an interesting to consider all authors as taking their influences from someone. And if they have multiple influences, it can be quite difficult to pinpoint whether or not their work is in fact fanfiction if they are inspired by so many sources and also do their own research.

Top 5 Sci first short stories that I could turn into a short film on a tight budget ?

Careful, guys, we keep him engaged much longer and he's a meme. We haven't had any of the you-know-what from the last two threads, let's try not to get imitators on low-IQ-kun. We can meme instead... Tingleposting? Getting HARD with buds? no... uh... gay rape and incest? That was never good.

Malazan Book of the Fallen being good! Let's shill that for a while.

Wright is a monkey at a typewriter trying to produce the next Wolfe.

>if you don't like Tolkien you are double digits IQ
Ok user. You got me. Gonna marry my cousin and pledge allegiance to the Confederate Flag.

His blog is actually pretty fedora. I mean I'm a Catholic, I prayed two hours of Rosario yesterday, but he's the right view wrong way to reach it kind of guy in many of his posts, especially the sjw and hugo.

He had a long sperg-out about Korrasami and has a little feud going with Scott Lynch

Funny guy

>Would Veeky Forums try to help or would they just meme me?
I dunno man, can only fasten/unfasten things with a wrench myself. Good luck on your project.

Lel
It's meme speak.
I use British English and American English
Also, Hi Grandpa.

I used to love LOTR. I don't like it now. When I was a child, the plot and the characters felt so unique and vivid to me and the sense of danger so frightening and realistic. Now that I am an adult I can only criticise my taste when I was younger and recall how the morality was handled purely in terms of black and white justice. I found, in retrospect, that the number of fantasy elements were cliched and hackneyed and that the plot was not sophisticated, as I had thought, but a simple and straightforward tale that was too overused to be orgiinal.

As I child I always found Tom Bombadil to be a bizarre and off topic introduction to his works and now I can name that phenomenon -- 'jumping the shark'.

Fifth Head of Cerberus by Wolfe can be shot in one setpiece, Minority Report in 2-3.
But I didn't read many so my recommendation pool is not very big.
The sad thing is that you are a liberal equivalent of that person, with him at least standing for something.
There's a lot of Wolfe in how he weaves his plot, but he's never going to get there. He's top tier entertainment and put a lot of good work into it, but he doesn't have the whatever made Wolfe into the genius he is.

Asimov - BLANK
Asimov - Machine That Won the War
Asimov - Insert Knob A In Hole B
Asimov - Strikebreaker
Asimov - The Immortal Bard

Your verdict on ASOIAF?

I don't know this pasta.

Its functional, the show is glorified fanfiction.

In both cases people take it way too seriously. Since its more mainstream people will find reasons to shit on it one way or another.

You can't hate him for it, though. You can tell his heart's in the right place. I see him as the herald of the return of pre-Sword of Shannara fantasy - not the return itself, but the man who invites better authors to do so.

I really hated it. I felt there were far too many POVs which detracted from the plot the instant that the book became interesting. I also disliked the prose and found it bland and thought that the sexual content was blatant fanserverice which only existed so that illiterate idiots could find something to jerk off to.

It's not very good, but has certain qualities nonetheless. The prose is awful, but the characters are solid and the plot used to be good (by now it's drawn out and the whole thing suffers with a lack of inspiration, editors fucked him up it should have been 3-4 books)

Sure, but Tolkien is Cervantes compared with Brandon Sanderson.

Well his books are what I read him for. For all I care he could be a black homosexual Hillary shill Muslim transwoman with all the negative things going with these. I read his novels and his persona isn't equated with the novels. I didn't read enough of him to with certainty see how much of him seeps into the novels, but it seems that he keeps it subtle. Finishing last 20 pages of The Phoenix Exultant right now.

Airport fantasy, claims to be 'medieval' but isn't.

>pure black and white justice in LOTR
>cliched fantasy elements when it invented them
Wait. Are you judging your childhood love of the book by your adult experience with the movie? Because they're two different things. But a fantasy quest where the party splits and tries to kill each other, and the Chosen One gets right up to the credits screen and fails, that's not cliche.

I bet you don't even read Kalevala in Finnish, loser.

People who think Tolkien is "black and white" haven't read the Silmarillion

It got worse with his new publisher. I tried to read Somewhither but he desperately needed paragraphs and paragraphs red-penned, and I did read Iron Chamber of Memory and I did really like it but it could have been so much better if someone had laid a hand on his shoulder and said, "Make that more subtle, John. Make it a much more subtle."

I'm not Americlap.
How the fuck can I be a liberal?
Not everyone who posts here is a fucking burger lover.

I don't really enjoy watching movies so I have never watched them.

Someone should really fuse Sanderson writings with someone else.

They haven't read Lord of the Rings.
>There are people in this thread RIGHT NOW that think they understand LotR but don't know that Gollum ate babies

where to stop with the dune series?

that has got to be the single stupidest post I have ever read on this site.

I should go to bed and not wake up

After book 1, or after book 3 if you have nothing else to read

>mfw his grandma kicked him out the house for being a theif

The first sentence

Tell him that on the blog, he's pretty active there.
save me.jpg

>anime poster
GET OUT TO /G/ OR /A/ YOU FUCKING ANIME POSTING FAGGET

Your pick for Hugo best novel?